Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times

Advertisements

You ask "If people are abrupt do you think its your fault". I say absolutely not.

I never blame myself for someone else's behavior. You neighbor was just being a bit*h. Dont blame yourself for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I was walking down the street and saw my next door neighbor (who I do not know to well) standing in her yard with a water hose. I called out her name and said. "hello, how are you doing." Her reply was bored and indifferent. Then she rushed into her home while saying, "I do not have time to talk to you."

Then a few things happened:

My wife, who was standing nearby said, "she really put you in your place didn't she"

The unfriendly next door neighbor showed she had power. By rejecting me, she showed who was boss. In our strange society, the person who rejects the social engagement or offer seems to have the upper hand. It reminded me of when I was in College and went up to a girl at a bar and asked her to dance and when she said no, my friends said, "Boy, she put you in your place didn't she?" I was shot down by the neighbor just like the girl back at the college bar 25 years ago.

And to think I only wanted to be friendly and say hello! No dance was expected!
No. It just tells me that they were probably raised by wolves.

It takes the same amount to say, "I'm sorry. I don't have time to talk right now." But it comes off much more nicely.

I've pretty much found that people who think that it takes too much energy or time to be nice aren't people you want to be around in the first place.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,255,736 times
Maybe you should go back over there and ask, in the sweetest tone you can muster, ask her if she is ok since she scurried off earlier. Just tell her you were worried about her response as she is usually such a kind neighbor.

Seriously, I would. This opens up the lines of communication, keeps things neighborly and you are letting her know her rudeness did go unnoticed.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:01 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
That was a weird comment for your wife to make. It's very passive-agressive. Why would your wife say something like that? It was a very undermining comment to make. The neighbor may have been a little rude but your wife's comment is very odd. She made the encounter a personal putdown of you with that comment. I don't think the neighbor made you feel rejected, I think your wife did that all by herself.

Last edited by laysayfair; 08-17-2008 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
That was a weird comment for your wife to make. It's very passive-agressive. Why would your wife say something like that? It was a very undermining comment to make. The neighbor may have been a little rude but your wife's comment is very odd. She made the encounter a personal putdown of you with that comment. I don't think the neighbor made you feel rejected, I think your wife did that all by herself.
Ah, that is so. And it's the exact same comment his buddies made about the girl who wouldn't dance with him back during college! Hmm... interesting.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Ah, that is so. And it's the exact same comment his buddies made about the girl who wouldn't dance with him back during college! Hmm... interesting.
Yes, Houstoner, he wasn't shot down by the girl, he was shot down by his "friends".

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
That was a weird comment for your wife to make. It's very passive-agressive. Why would your wife say something like that? It was a very undermining comment to make.
I absolutely agree. I'd worry less about the neighbor and more about your wife's comment. Is your wife normally this rude?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:33 PM

14 posts, read 28,155 times
Lightbulb ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I liked the replies but felt that my intention or question in the post was misunderstood. I was just seeing if other people thought that sometimes when we are rejected we feel like maybe the other person is right, we are boring or weird.

I strongly believe that the reason some people act cold and indifferent to others is that in their mind it gives them some power over the other person. The social person comes off as needy and the aloof and cold person in in a position of power. The aloof person is powerful because she is to important to deal with the silly person who attempts to engage them in conversation.
I am sure that it is possible that some people may act cold or not respond for this reason. However, I think the majority of the time people are simply preoccupied, grumpy or just anti-social!
As far as your neighbor that you said you don't really know...well clearly she is anti-social. Oh well...it has nothing to do with you!
Social, friendly people really don't understand unsocial, unhappy people! Besides why would you want to try!
So why bother, let alone worry about it or try to analyse it! C'est la vie! No worries!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Here's a good rule of thumb. When a person feels that the respectful treatment of others is conditional or optional, then that's a person you really want to avoid. And if you think that way, you should really re-evaluate your approach to life.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's a good rule of thumb. When a person feels that the respectful treatment of others is conditional or optional, then that's a person you really want to avoid. And if you think that way, you should really re-evaluate your approach to life.
What do you mean? Of course it's conditional! Do you treat respectfully somebody who doesn't respect you...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships