Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys so that you won't get ripped off.

I went to get my yearly NC State Inspection at AAA Auto Mark Car Care Center on Avent Ferry Road in Raleigh and my car had too many "Not Ready" codes. So, they gave me the Not Ready report and charged me about $25 (full price minus sticker cost) just to give the report. I knew that they weren't supposed to charge for Not Ready report and when I asked they said they could and told me to do whatever I could. I would have understood if it were done by a new employee but that was not the case. I knew that the person working there has been working at the same place for the past 5 years. Then I went straight from there to DMV and talked to a nice inspector and explained the situation. He told me straight away that they can not charge for the Not Ready report but told me to wait so that he can check with his supervisor to make sure. He went in and came out after 5 minutes and told me to go to the AAA place to get the refund as he had already spoken to them to refund the money.

So, beware that inspection stations charge money that they are not supposed to just to give you Not Ready report.

Hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:08 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
I refuse to ever patronize an NC inspection station after getting pretty much flipped off by one several years ago, treated like a rented mule and I have since only gone to my fave mechanic for the annual rip-off.

I think it's a con job (as you just illustrated) so I would just stay away in droves.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM

17 posts, read 165,330 times
Default Inspection scenario

Took my wife's car to a snappy lube place in Knightdale for it's annual inspection and passed everything except a front tire with minor wear on the inside. The guy was very clear about why he failed it. I paid something like $23.00 and was told that I would only have to pay the remaining $7.00 when I had the problem corrected. Now, I've been around cars my who life, have enough common sense to get by, and for the life of me couldn't really see why it failed. So my question is, can I take the car to another station and have them 'complete' the inspection for the remaining $7.00? Or would I either have to 1) pay full price or, 2) return to the original inspection station? I rotated the front tires to the back and vice versa to try to alleviate this problem. Bought these tires in December so they are in great shape otherwise.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,218,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvhiker View Post
Took my wife's car to a snappy lube place in Knightdale for it's annual inspection and passed everything except a front tire with minor wear on the inside. The guy was very clear about why he failed it. I paid something like $23.00 and was told that I would only have to pay the remaining $7.00 when I had the problem corrected. Now, I've been around cars my who life, have enough common sense to get by, and for the life of me couldn't really see why it failed. So my question is, can I take the car to another station and have them 'complete' the inspection for the remaining $7.00? Or would I either have to 1) pay full price or, 2) return to the original inspection station? I rotated the front tires to the back and vice versa to try to alleviate this problem. Bought these tires in December so they are in great shape otherwise.
OK, from my experience and knowledge with the whole situation I was in - they can charge if they give you "Fail Report" that means they did the Safety and Emission (OBD) inspection and to go through all that they can charge you the fee minus sticker fee. If you take your vehicle to some other place then you should go through the whole process (from Safety , OBD inspection etc) and pay the full price ($30) if it passes else you pay full price minus sticker price. If you think your inspection station is too picky and do not want to spend lot of money on tires and would like to give a try you can try your luck at another station (usually Quality Inspection) by paying again. If it passes you save the money on tires minus additional ($23) you paid, if not, you loose $23

Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,083 times
There's a substantial amount of drivers on the road here in WNC with expired tags on their vehicles. Like 6-12 months expired.

Where I moved from (Oregon): You drive on expired tags, you get pulled over by The Man, your car gets towed.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:44 PM

77 posts, read 247,209 times
Well, this isn't Oregon and the cops are not all that strict unless you hit a license check. As for the nuisance NC inspections, just install your spare to have the car inspected. However, unless the laws have changed, as long as no cord is showing, having 1/16" of tread in the center of the tire spaced 4 equal distances around the tire is sufficient to pass. I have had stations try to reject my car because a backup light was not working. That is not even on the check list.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 21,186 times
I recently purchased a car with tinted windows and was told by the dealer that the windows did pass inspection about two months ago. Now I just took the car to my dealer who said it will not pass inspection because of the tinted windows. What is my course of action now?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcclard View Post
I recently purchased a car with tinted windows and was told by the dealer that the windows did pass inspection about two months ago. Now I just took the car to my dealer who said it will not pass inspection because of the tinted windows. What is my course of action now?
Remove the tint from the front windows. It's probably not the answer you were looking for but the car will pass inspection.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Tint law in NC is 35% max. If you are at or under that you are fine.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
There's a substantial amount of drivers on the road here in WNC with expired tags on their vehicles. Like 6-12 months expired.

Where I moved from (Oregon): You drive on expired tags, you get pulled over by The Man, your car gets towed.
Every state has its pet revenue stream. NC, it's the inspections racket. Fail to get the annual inspection, and the $250.00 fine is just mailed to you, no need to involve a cop or trooper, just first class postage as an expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina