Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 06:47 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times

Advertisements

NC is about midway between SC and VA in percentage of population born outside of the US.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 08:00 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
I just learned there is a Mid-Atlantic Christian University in Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Old 01-28-2024, 01:20 AM

676 posts, read 492,754 times
Southeast

Old 01-28-2024, 07:50 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times
Technically, factually, officially, historically, culturally and demographically, it's a southern state. Not to mention in its heart and at its roots. It's well south of the Mason Dixon Line, folks drink their tea cold and sweetened, and NC resentfully seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy.

It's a Mid-Atlantic state to the ignorant. (That's not always an insult. Look up the definition.)

Some folks (usually those who say things like, "That's my truth,"), think its a Southeastern state due, again, to ignorance, but also because of all the rich Floridians and Atlantans with vacation homes here that have turned certain areas of the state into seasonal playgrounds while they remain ghost towns the rest of the year with understandably bitter locals.

As far as being a coastal state, that shouldn't really need any clarification.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:59 PM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Technically, factually, officially, historically, culturally and demographically, it's a southern state. Not to mention in its heart and at its roots. It's well south of the Mason Dixon Line, folks drink their tea cold and sweetened, and NC resentfully seceded from the Union and joined the Confederacy.

It's a Mid-Atlantic state to the ignorant. (That's not always an insult. Look up the definition.)

Some folks (usually those who say things like, "That's my truth,"), think its a Southeastern state due, again, to ignorance, but also because of all the rich Floridians and Atlantans with vacation homes here that have turned certain areas of the state into seasonal playgrounds while they remain ghost towns the rest of the year with understandably bitter locals.

How do you differentiate between "southern" and "southeastern"? To me, NC is "southern" culturally speaking, and its obviously in the south geographically, but southeast is a region of the south. Thus NC is both southern and southeastern, but they are describing 2 different things and aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:03 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:

WNC is definitely not southern in the same sense as AL, MS, GA, TN, or SC (latter 3 being considered southeastern) mainly for the reason you stated - influx of northerners and Floridians who have moved here.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
WNC is definitely not southern in the same sense as AL, MS, GA, TN, or SC (latter 3 being considered southeastern) mainly for the reason you stated - influx of northerners and Floridians who have moved here.
What I'm talking about is the original status of the state. (What I said about the Mason Dixon Line and begrudgingly joining the Confederacy are two main points. Historically, NC is definitely considered a southern state.) There is no "in the same sense as" because the southernness in every southern state varies.

Every southern state has an influx of people from many different states (not just northern) as well as other countries at this point. That influences the culture they move into. The very area you advised me on is a good example of that. We'll just have to differ in our opinions. But I know you'd have a very difficult time even trying to tell folks in TN that they're a southeastern state.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
How do you differentiate between "southern" and "southeastern"? To me, NC is "southern" culturally speaking, and its obviously in the south geographically, but southeast is a region of the south. Thus NC is both southern and southeastern, but they are describing 2 different things and aren't mutually exclusive.
Being southern is a cultural way of speaking and living, but that varies in every southern state. Granted, it's more difficult to define today because of the rate of people moving from state to state and the influx of foreign immigration around the world. So, when I speak about being southern, I'm speaking of historical origins mostly; hence being considerably south of the Mason Dixon Line and begrudgingly joining the Confederacy.

Old 01-29-2024, 09:07 AM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Being southern is a cultural way of speaking and living, but that varies in every southern state. Granted, it's more difficult to define today because of the rate of people moving from state to state and the influx of foreign immigration around the world. So, when I speak about being southern, I'm speaking of historical origins mostly; hence being considerably south of the Mason Dixon Line and begrudgingly joining the Confederacy.
Thanks, I get that, but what is the difference between southern and southeastern, in your mind? Why do you think its ignorant say NC is in the "Southeast"?

Old 01-29-2024, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 683 times
Yes, NC is a southern state and so is VA. Technically so is MD and therefore Washington DC since it's surrounded by MD and VA. I think a lot of people across the country exclude MD though because they don't like the idea of DC being part of the south. I've always thought of Mid-Atlantic as a subset of the northeast made up of NY, NJ, PA & DE. Basically the north without New England. But, this really all boils down to if someone is talking about culture or geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina