Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 PM

277 posts, read 435,951 times

Advertisements

Once you get off of the I-40 corridor (or outside of Charlotte) it's hard to tell the difference. Heck, even on the I-40 corridor East of Raleigh is much more deep south than a lot of SC.

I grew up in NC, have traveled all over both states. They're both great. Both have great beaches, mountains, barbecue, beautiful rural areas and history. NC certainly has the edge on urbanized areas. Charlotte has some great architecture.

All of that aside, South Carolina has cheap liquor, gas, no helmet laws, and fireworks! Who needs anything else?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
In the more rural areas outside Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, etc., North Carolina isn't too different from South Carolina. Overall, NC is a little more similar to Georgia and Virginia while South Carolina is a bit more similar to Alabama and Mississippi.
SC and AL are similar; MS, not so much. SC is much more similar to GA.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
If you take away the larger cities and urban areas in NC, it's not too different from SC. Both are southern states, it's just that SC is deep south while NC is upper south. Also, why are people trying to assume that NC is mid-atlantic culturally? I'm assuming you guys haven't been to NC if you have this idea in your head, because NC is most definitely southern. Mid-atlantic is more so Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If you take away the larger cities and urban areas in NC, it's not too different from SC. Both are southern states, it's just that SC is deep south while NC is upper south. Also, why are people trying to assume that NC is mid-atlantic culturally? I'm assuming you guys haven't been to NC if you have this idea in your head, because NC is most definitely southern. Mid-atlantic is more so Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.
I was just about to say I don't think PA is in the mid-atlantic, but I just looked at a few maps etc and indeed most include PA and even NY in the mid-atlantic region. I must say I am surprised. I figured PA and especially NY would just be considered the interior northeast and the northeast, respectively. WV, MD, VA, DE, NJ is always what I had in my head as mid-atlantic. Huh. Oh well. Just felt like sharing lol.

As for the thread, I'd say NC and SC are definitely pretty different at least geographically and culturally. SC seems more similar to AL than GA to me. If I closed my eyes and got dropped somewhere in the middle of the Carolinas I can almost guarantee I'd be able to tell the difference. I do like NC more, but I enjoy SC beaches more.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
As for the thread, I'd say NC and SC are definitely pretty different at least geographically and culturally. SC seems more similar to AL than GA to me.
Geographically there's definitely a difference, with NC being more equally divided between mountains, Piedmont, and coastal plain. The coastal plain comprises more of SC and it only has a small slice of mountainous areas. Culturally there are differences too, but I think they can be a bit overblown in some instances.

I think SC and AL have more similarities on paper (similar populations, GDP, distribution of urban areas, etc.), but SC and GA share actual ties and feel a bit more alike.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,420 times
SC girls are way hotter. Pulled pork bbq is better in SC, too.
word.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sounds like you're in a more rural area in the CSRA. It's well-known that rural areas of the South in general aren't known for having stellar schools. I think you simply failed to do your homework before you left NY.
Actually, I didn't live in a rural area. And I did plenty of homework on the schools before relocating. I visited numerous times and even lived there for 6 weeks while building our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
York County, Richland 2 Schools, Lexington/Richland 5 has some of the best schools in the country. You can't take one RURAL area of the state and say that's how The ENTIRE school system is.
It's a fact that the schools in the entire state are crap. Google can be your friend:

How States Compare in the 2014 Best High Schools Rankings - US News

States With the Best (and Worst) Schools - 24/7 Wall St.

2014′s States with the Best and Worst School Systems | WalletHub®

Old 11-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Actually, I didn't live in a rural area. And I did plenty of homework on the schools before relocating. I visited numerous times and even lived there for 6 weeks while building our house.
So where did you go wrong?

That doesn't mean that all schools and school districts in the state are crap; the state has some good ones amidst the less-than-stellar ones. For instance, there are two SC high schools in the top 100 in the USNWR overall rankings. There's also SC representation on this list: The 50 Best Middle Schools in the U.S. | The Best Schools So yes, there are some gems in the rubble. And I don't know how they rank nationally, but Fort Mill is known to have some very good schools.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So where did you go wrong?

That doesn't mean that all schools and school districts in the state are crap; the state has some good ones amidst the less-than-stellar ones. For instance, there are two SC high schools in the top 100 in the USNWR overall rankings. There's also SC representation on this list: The 50 Best Middle Schools in the U.S. | The Best Schools So yes, there are some gems in the rubble. And I don't know how they rank nationally, but Fort Mill is known to have some very good schools.
We moved too far south and not close enough to a major city which is what we were used to.

Overall, the state's rankings for schools is dreadful. One study released while we lived in SC ranked SC as 49th with only Mississippi behind them. Our elementary school was a Blue Ribbon winner, but it still had issues. No one wanted to spend a penny on schools where we were. They tried adding a 1% sales tax to help and increase the property taxes on real estate and real property and those ideas were voted down by something like 79%. It was crazy! This past election, they finally got the 1% sales tax increase to pass. With non-residents and businesses footing the school taxes, there are issues, but it seems like there's always issues with any taxes. You can't make everyone happy ever.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:08 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
I don't know if I would say NC is vastly different than SC. Plenty of rural areas in both states feel quite similar. The Sandhills region and the majority of eastern NC reminds me more of SC. Columbia is kind of like Raleigh without RTP, much smaller but similarly laid out. However, once you get into the major urban areas of NC, that's when it gets different. Not to mention our mountains, while SC barely has any. Also, I still feel like South Carolina is more similar to Georgia. Both Deep South, both have one SEC and one ACC team, etc.

By the way, I'm sorry but NC BBQ is A LOT better than SC BBQ. I can't resist saying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina