Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Yeah, but keep in mind that a complete urban district of row houses can yield 16,000 people per sq/mi or better. Sounds strange, but its true.

Here is the second half of that video. This time you will see the living quarters directly behind a Lowes Home Improvement store. This is by far the most urban Lowes development I've ever seen. It certainly doesn't look ANYTHING like what you would expect from a big box retailer. Tell me what you think.

YouTube - Dilworth
I guess I am just not a fan of Townhouses in general. In addition to the car nature of their site plans, I am not a fan of small floor plate, multi-floor living. But, again, this is just my opinion and I'd still prefer this sort of development to single family suburbia.
I always appreciate when designers come up with clever ways to make big box and other large retail establishments fit in to their environments.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:34 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Looks like a small state to me. Regardless of the artificial boundaries. The Raleigh area is generally the same size as the Charlotte area. City vs city however. Charlotte is much more mature.

A map of Charlotte's CSA. Which is a joke. There are areas in southern Virginia that thrive off the Triangle, why aren't they counted? Plain silly.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Looks like a small state to me. Regardless of the artificial boundaries. The Raleigh area is generally the same size as the Charlotte area. City vs city however. Charlotte is much more mature.

A map of Charlotte's CSA. Which is a joke. There are areas in southern Virginia that thrive off the Triangle, why aren't they counted? Plain silly.
That's not a map of Charlotte's official CSA. That's a map of "Metrolina," which is pretty much all the counties included in our viewing area. Several counties highlighted on that map, namely Catawba, Alexander, Montgomery, Richmond, and Chesterfield (SC), aren't included in Charlotte's CSA. See here for the areas which constitute Charlotte's official CSA.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
What's the skinny on this project in Uptown Charlotte?

Construction halts at Vue: Tower was one of the few remaining bright spots in uptown's faltering condo market

Construction halts at Vue - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/408/story/920257.html - broken link)

"It's the latest sign of trouble in the center city condo market, where sales have plunged in recent years. "

Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Construction halts at Vue: Tower was one of the few remaining bright spots in uptown's faltering condo market

Construction halts at Vue - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/408/story/920257.html - broken link)

"It's the latest sign of trouble in the center city condo market, where sales have plunged in recent years. "
Apparently it is on hold until some issues with the lenders are resolved. Not a lot of information right now, but hopefully this is only something minor and not anything major...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

I think the Charlotte market is a bit saturated at the moment. Heck, everyone's is. However I believe many of Charlotte stalled or delayed projects, will most like get built. Charlotte has a large lot of empty condos right now. However if you look at it like this, Charlotte has a terrific real estate infrastructure to accommodate many once the economy picks back up. I guess you can kind of say the city is getting it's duck in a row. Kind of.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's not a map of Charlotte's official CSA. That's a map of "Metrolina," which is pretty much all the counties included in our viewing area. Several counties highlighted on that map, namely Catawba, Alexander, Montgomery, Richmond, and Chesterfield (SC), aren't included in Charlotte's CSA. See here for the areas which constitute Charlotte's official CSA.
So, does this mean that the official CSA is larger or smaller than the map posted? According to the Census Bureau, the CSA is one metropolitan and 7 micropolitan areas. In addition to the Metro in Dark red, there are 10 other counties on the map. At least 7 more are included somewhere. A micropolitan area can't be less than one county. You list 5 of the ten that aren't included. So, something has to give....

In comparison, the official Triangle CSA is 2 metropolitan areas and only 1 micropolitan area. Certainly a case can be made for more micropolitan areas to be included in the CSA for the Triangle. But, who knows why the Census Bureau does what they do? Even after reading their explanations, I don't always agree or understand their reasoning.

The Triad CSA is 2 metropolitan areas and 3 micropolitan areas.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
So, does this mean that the official CSA is larger or smaller than the map posted?
Charlotte's official CSA is indeed smaller than that map. There are 3 counties on the map that are not CSA counties. I counted 16 counties on that map. Charlotte's CSA is actually 13 counties (unless something has changed that I am not aware of).

At any rate, the Triangle would still fall short of 2 million even if the Triangle's CSA were the same size as Charlotte's (Charlotte's CSA has 6,500 sq/mi of land.)

Without the addition of Cumberland county (Fayetteville), the Triangle would have roughly 1.9 million people if the CSA were the same size as Charlotte's. Most counties surrounding the current Triangle boundaries are quite rural. Adding CSA counties to the Triangle won't boost the numbers much at all.

IKEA tried to explain this (the metro populations) to our friends in the Triangle when they (IKEA) decided on a Charlotte location instead of the Triangle. IKEA's spokesperson told the Triangle that Charlotte met IKEA's 2 million metro minimum and that the Triangle was not quite there yet. The Triangle IKEA lovers did not like hearing this at all, yet it was the truth.

CSAs and MSAs are (for the most part) determined by commuting patterns and the "impact" a metropolitan area has on counties surrounding it (that is how I've come to understand it). Let's be honest folks. Charlotte has a MUCH larger impact on places like Salisbury and Statesville than Raleigh has on Wilson and Greenville. Heck, Charlotte's impact on Hickory and Boone is probably greater than Raleigh's impact on Wilson and Greenville.

Charlotte's larger impact on its neighbors is why Charlotte's CSA covers more land. It is the same reason why Atlanta's CSA has 31 counties and Charlotte's has only 13. Commutes and "impact" are the reasons for this.

I could NEVER understand why some folks respect Atlanta's (almost) 6 million CSA yet don't respect Charlotte's CSA of nearly 2 1/2 million. What is the point of trying to "down size" an area's census figures? "MetroM" is not the first person that has called Charlotte a "2 point whatever" metro as if Charlotte cheated to get that number somehow. What gives.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Charlotte's official CSA is indeed smaller than that map. There are 3 counties on the map that are not CSA counties. I counted 16 counties on that map. Charlotte's CSA is actually 13 counties (unless something has changed that I am not aware of).

At any rate, the Triangle would still fall short of 2 million even if the Triangle's CSA were the same size as Charlotte's (Charlotte's CSA has 6,500 sq/mi of land.)

Without the addition of Cumberland county (Fayetteville), the Triangle would have roughly 1.9 million people if the CSA were the same size as Charlotte's. Most counties surrounding the current Triangle boundaries are quite rural. Adding CSA counties to the Triangle won't boost the numbers much at all.

IKEA tried to explain this (the metro populations) to our friends in the Triangle when they (IKEA) decided on a Charlotte location instead of the Triangle. IKEA's spokesperson told the Triangle that Charlotte met IKEA's 2 million metro minimum and that the Triangle was not quite there yet. The Triangle IKEA lovers did not like hearing this at all, yet it was the truth.

CSAs and MSAs are (for the most part) determined by commuting patterns and the "impact" a metropolitan area has on counties surrounding it (that is how I've come to understand it). Let's be honest folks. Charlotte has a MUCH larger impact on places like Salisbury and Statesville than Raleigh has on Wilson and Greenville. Heck, Charlotte's impact on Hickory and Boone is probably greater than Raleigh's impact on Wilson and Greenville.

Charlotte's larger impact on its neighbors is why Charlotte's CSA covers more land. It is the same reason why Atlanta's CSA has 31 counties and Charlotte's has only 13. Commutes and "impact" are the reasons for this.

I could NEVER understand why some folks respect Atlanta's (almost) 6 million CSA yet don't respect Charlotte's CSA of nearly 2 1/2 million. What is the point of trying to "down size" an area's census figures? "MetroM" is not the first person that has called Charlotte a "2 point whatever" metro as if Charlotte cheated to get that number somehow. What gives.
What gives is the fact Charlotte isn't that large. I've been to real 2 million plus metros. Orlando and Tampa both look and feel much larger than the Charlotte area. Hampton Roads feels and looks larger than Charlotte. They may have the same amount of people in it's metro, but it's in a much smaller land area. Charlotte reminds me of Winston-Salem, for cities their size, they both have pretty large DT skylines. Many counties around Charlotte are just as rural as those in the Raleigh area. Raleigh may not be ready for an IKEA presently, but it will be within the next couple of years. North Carolina doesn't have any big major cities yet. However this will change within the next decade. When Charlotte reaches 2 point whatever : within it's original six county metro, only then will I consider it a major metropolitan area. Don't worry, Charlotte and Raleigh will both reach 2 million within the next 5 years.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I think we could turn this thread into a drinking game. Any time somebody mentions a "CSA" or "MSA" you need to take a drink.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of comparing cities using CSA or MSA jargon (everyone drink). They are used as planning and census tools and don't mean a whole heck of a lot in everyday life. They can be dissected a million different ways to come up with a million different kind of statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina