Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I would've thought your clear jealousy of Charlotte because of Raleigh's lack of equal offerings would have ended by now but I guess not. Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, and Houston are non factors here and so is Raleigh's skyline (or lack thereof).
I was wondering when you would crawl out of your hole! The subject was best skyline in south! We were not talking about Raleigh's skyline. But of course you missed that and went into attack Raleigh mode as usual.
By the way skyline is not our strength in Raleigh. I could list a number of things that are. Things that Raleigh would win hands down over Charlotte. But you would ignore it and go back to skylines and trains as usual. So what's the use.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Charlotte has a great skyline. One of the best for a city its size. The only cities with better ones are truly major cities in every way. That is often the way banking centers are. They tend to have good skylines for their size.

I don't ever expect Raleigh's skyline to catch up, but I'm sure it will improve in the coming years. Really wouldn't take much to for it to leapfrog Richmond and Tampa. The downtown itself is still pretty good. It has a better stock of historic structures than Charlotte, so there are some tradeoffs.
I was just downtown an hour ago. The mix of new and old fits very well. As a native I can truly say it has come a long way. In a very short period of time. Lots of folks out for the concert in city plaza, also Red Hat looked sold out for the N.E. concert. Every restaurant looked full people everywhere. Massive skyline no very vibrant DT YES.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I was just downtown an hour ago. The mix of new and old fits very well. As a native I can truly say it has come a long way. In a very short period of time. Lots of folks out for the concert in city plaza, also Red Hat looked sold out for the N.E. concert. Every restaurant looked full people everywhere. Massive skyline no very vibrant DT YES.
I don't mean this in a tit-for-tat way, or a one up way or anything but uptown was really lively also. BB&T baseball stadium was sold out, Alive after 5 etc etc.

Baseball stadium capacity is 10,200 for reference

And slightly off topic and I hope no one takes offense but some skylines I'm not a fan of or find underwhelming is Phoenix, Memphis, Nashville, Houston, Portland, Denver and a few others.

Some of the greatest I think are Seattle, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Detroit, Atlanta, Chicago, Phildelphia, Dallas, Buckhead, Bellvue and a few others

Some good ones I think are NYC, Baltimore, Miami, Boston, LA, San Fran

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-17-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I don't mean this in a tit-for-tat way, or a one up way or anything but uptown was really lively also. BB&T baseball stadium was sold out, Alive after 5 etc etc.

Baseball stadium capacity is 10,200 for reference

And slightly off topic and I hope no one takes offense but some skylines I'm not a fan of or find underwhelming is Phoenix, Memphis, Nashville, Houston, Portland, Denver and a few others.

Some of the greatest I think are Seattle, Charlotte, Minneapolis, Detroit, Atlanta, Chicago, Phildelphia, Dallas, Buckhead, Bellvue and a few others

Some good ones I think are NYC, Baltimore, Miami, Boston, LA, San Fran
Not being tit for tat while being tit for tat? At least not tying to be lol. I'll bite. AAA Alstar Game in DT Durham was kinda lively I hear. Lol

Old 07-18-2014, 10:01 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
I can certainly relate to the feeling of "wow, my city has come a long way". There was a time when central Charlotte was a ghost town after 7pm every night. In those days, you could have rolled a bowling ball down the side walks and the only thing you might have hit was a pigeon. Today, people roll bowling balls at uptown's Strike City Bowling until 2am.

One recent Friday, I had a huge WOW-moment while bike riding from South End to Uptown with my son. On that Friday, Food Truck Friday was going on in South End, a Knights game was in-progress uptown, and Taste of Charlotte was going on uptown as well. Between those 3 events, I'd say that uptown and South End probably had foot-traffic in the 70k-100k people range (if not more).

While in South End, I stopped my bike for about 30 minutes just to "take-in" the moment. There were friends laughing, eating, and drinking. There was the smell of great food in the air. There was the sight of crowded trains passing every 5 minutes in each direction. There was the sound of music coming from distant clubs and street performers. There was also the sight of uptown's skyline about a mile away. At that moment, it was clear that the "Old Charlotte" I remembered from 20 years ago was just that; a memory.

On Sunday evenings, "Old Charlotte" still comes back to visit, but that's ok. We don't need (nor do we want) crowds 24/7 like some cities. I personally don't ever want Charlotte to become a city that never sleeps. Those cities are great to visit, but the residents who call those cities home will tell you that the crowds become tiresome over time.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Not being tit for tat while being tit for tat? At least not tying to be lol. I'll bite. AAA Alstar Game in DT Durham was kinda lively I hear. Lol

Yeah but downtown Durham is not downtown Raleigh...

Just like Birkdale Huntersville is not uptown Charlotte.

It's not being tit for tat. I was mentioning some of the things going on here in addition to what's going on in downtown Raleigh. If I were, I'd probably put a little more thought into it than putting an "etc etc" such as alive after 5

Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah but downtown Durham is not downtown Raleigh...

Just like Birkdale Huntersville is not uptown Charlotte.

It's not being tit for tat. I was mentioning some of the things going on here in addition to what's going on in downtown Raleigh. If I were, I'd probably put a little more thought into it than putting an "etc etc" such as alive after 5
DT Raleigh DT Durham two sides of one coin. It's good to have choices. Huntersville please. Do they even have a DT. there?Maybe like DT Apex or Holly Springs? I go between both downtowns. Depending on what's going on. So thanks for trying to keep me on point but I'm good.
By the way nothing against Apex or Holly Spings great places.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 PM

It's funny how Raleigh and Durham get split up when it convenient to the conversation? I remember a while ago when on this thread or the no holds barred thread. I was talking about how much worse crime was in Charlotte compaired to Raleigh. I remember specifically urbancharlotte was quick to say. If you add Durham it's not that much difference. Funny how that works huh? By the way adding Durham didn't even up the numbers. Charlotte wins that one!

Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 PM

A lot of people refer to Birkdale as Huntersville's downtown. It has lots of places to eat, Movie theatre, clothing stores (botique and national retailers like American Eagle, Victoria Secrets, Chico's, GAP etc), it has a mini Dicks sporting goods, pier one, kirklands all with apartments on top. It's set up like any other downtown of a city it's size. The real Downtown of Huntersville is virtually nonexistent. It's a nice urban village. Similar, but way better IMO to Mayfaire in Wilmington.

And If you're talking about how lively downtown Raleigh is on a certain day... I'm not sure how Durham fits into the equation... They're different places. Carowinds is a pretty Happening place on the weekends and well, I'm not sure how or why that has anything to do with the happenings in downtown Charlotte.

So since you insist on counting Downtown Durham and downtown Raleigh together, Maybe you can help fill me in on how Durham Bulls baseball games make downtown Raleigh more lively like A Charlotte Knights baseball game makes uptown Charlotte more lively.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:

A lot of people refer to Birkdale as Huntersville's downtown. It has lots of places to eat, Movie theatre, clothing stores (botique and national retailers like American Eagle, Victoria Secrets, Chico's, GAP etc), it has a mini Dicks sporting goods, pier one, kirklands all with apartments on top. It's set up like any other downtown of a city it's size. The real Downtown of Huntersville is virtually nonexistent. It's a nice urban village. Similar, but way better IMO to Mayfaire in Wilmington.

And If you're talking about how lively downtown Raleigh is on a certain day... I'm not sure how Durham fits into the equation... They're different places. Carowinds is a pretty Happening place on the weekends and well, I'm not sure how or why that has anything to do with the happenings in downtown Charlotte.

So since you insist on counting Downtown Durham and downtown Raleigh together, Maybe you can help fill me in on how Durham Bulls baseball games make downtown Raleigh more lively like A Charlotte Knights baseball game makes uptown Charlotte more lively.
It doesn't that's silly! Both stand alone! But both benefit the triangle as a whole. It's usually something to do in both. Always something to do in one or the other. Depends on what's going on. Many people go to a Bulls game and then later on go to Glenwood South for example.
And my point in mentioning DT Durham and the Bulls was it was lively ALSO! Because of the AAA All-Star Game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.