Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times

Advertisements

Street Car test on Lynx track.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Interesting you ignored the fact Uptown Charlotte and South End both have more construction going on than downtown Raleigh.
He didn't ignore the fact. I think it's just confusing for people since each area has different names for certain areas.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,516,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Interesting you ignored the fact Uptown Charlotte and South End both have more construction going on than downtown Raleigh.
It's interesting how you want to put south end in the mix. That wouldn't go as well as you think. If you expand the area. I would also expand the area to include Hillsboro St and Cameron Village areas. Both connected to DT Raleigh. As south end is connected to uptown.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Uptown is a single neighborhood that houses the CBD (Central Business District). Downtown in general refers to a cities commercial and business district. Residential areas with houses and bigger yards are generally not considered downtown.

However, Raleighs downtown alliance has branded the Downtown area as Downtown. Probably for business recruitment to inflate numbers. But who doesn't try to inflate their numbers.

Charlotte has branded their downtown area as center city.

And likewise, when comparing Charlotte's city limit population to Raleigh's, I also agree that's not a fair comparison and doesn't tell the whole story. I've never raised an issue when anyone has mentioned Charlotte vs Raleigh is not a very fair comparison due to the city limit size of Charlotte.

But again, if you want a fair comparison that reflects reality, just let me know downtown area or downtown.
Charlotte's definition of downtown is more literal of the definition. For example, the Wells Fargo building In downtown Raleigh. If you picked it up and move it 2 miles east of its current location. 1) would zoning allow it. 2. Would residents allow it. 3) would it be out of place.

Downtown Raleigh did retain more historical charm than us. We are probably the worst example I'm the world of urban renewal. Though, after years of reeling the negative effects, it has provided opportunity.

Many visitors are awed at our skyline: last night in the park, during the free symphony, people were taking more videos of the skyline than anything.

Big buildings of course don't make a city, neighborhoods like Dilworth & Meyers Patk adds to and is just as important.

I'm not trying to spin anything, "cooking" numbers, or any of that mess. Well over 50% of passengers at Charlottes airport are connecting so naturally we have Wayyyy more passengers. It wouldn't be fair to judge the cities based off its airport traffic. But... It would be fair to compare their. O&D passengers (passengers originating from Raleigh & Charlotte or whose final destination is Raleigh or Charlotte) you could even take it a step further and see which city is higher yielding (more expensive) because people will drive from Charlotte to Raleigh or vice versa (though I Doubt Raleigh is more expensive) to fly.

My point about the airport example its all about comparing things in an apples - to - apples way to get a good reflection on reality.

I'm trying to give a decent, cordial, constructive opinion. I would hope I get the same in return. If you think it is a valid apples to apples comparison between the uptown neighborhood vs. the entire downtown area of Raleigh, I'd be more than willing to listen to why you think it is a valid comparison.
I'm not sure if this is a apples to apples comparison. But I would use the area highlighted in green on this map.
The area inside the four surrounding highways. Is this what is considered Uptown? Just asking?

Charlotte vs. Raleigh?-image.jpg

Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post

This is the uptown transit station.
Ahh. I call that the bus depot. The history of that BTW, is that BofA paid to have it built. It's commonly said that Hugh McColl didn't like all the African Americans standing around in front of his bank waiting for the bus, so the bank give this "transit center" to the city. It was controversial at the time because of it.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:50 AM

This is a list of projects. Most over a million dollars or so. In total cost. All in what is considered DT Raleigh. All completed in the last 12 months. Or expected to move forward in the next 12 months.

Wake Co Justice Center
Raleigh Union Station
Citrix HQ
NCSECU HQ
NC Bar HQ
Carolina Ale House(3 stories)
Hibernian Expansion
Bike Share Raleigh
Charter Square North
Charter Square South
Edison Office Building
Moore Square transit station renovation
Moore Square park urbanization
Nash Square park urbanization
Marriott Residence Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
220 Salisbury restoration( home of new Death and Taxes restaurant)
Boylan Pearce restoration
Raleigh Beer Garden
Standard Foods Restaurant, includes multi storefront renovation.
Holy Trinity Church
Sheraton Hotel renovation
Marbles Kids Museum expansion
Holiday Inn remodel( was Clarion Hotel)
Capital Blvd/Peace St bridge(Downtowns North Gateway)
227 Fayetteville renovation
Edison Apartments
Devon 425
Devon 712
220 the Saint
Gramercy
The L
The Lincoln
Link
Skyhouse
West I
West II
Elan
The Ten
Blount Street Commons

Not inside DT Raleigh official boundaries but obviously to serve DT area
Dix Park
Aloft Raleigh
Walnut Terrace apartments

Rumors! Not solid at all. But I'll add just in case we get lucky!
Hyatt Hotel
Luxury High Rise. Directly across street from Edison office site. I've seem renderings but still shaky at this point.

There are some I missed because I don't know the exact project names. Or they are small projects. Also this includes very little of the new DT ten year plan. I have seen early drafts but it's still in the works. I will say this. If they can accomplish half of the new ideas in draft plan. I think even our big city brother to the south will be impressed.

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_fi...hDraftPlan.pdf

Last edited by Atowwn; 09-28-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I'm not sure if this is a apples to apples comparison. But I would use the area highlighted in green on this map.
The area inside the four surrounding highways. Is this what is considered Uptown? Just asking?

Attachment 136807

That map has Midtown and SouthEnd shaded in. Uptown is indeed only the area in the 277 loop.

Edit: short reply, busy. Give more thought later

Old 09-28-2014, 10:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
This is a list of projects. Most over a million dollars or so. In total cost. All in what is considered DT Raleigh. All completed in the last 12 months. Or expected to move forward in the next 12 months.

Wake Co Justice Center
Raleigh Union Station
Citrix HQ
NCSECU HQ
NC Bar HQ
Carolina Ale House(3 stories)
Hibernian Expansion
Bike Share Raleigh
Charter Square North
Charter Square South
Edison Office Building
Moore Square transit station renovation
Moore Square park urbanization
Nash Square park urbanization
Marriott Residence Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
220 Salisbury restoration( home of new Death and Taxes restaurant)
Boylan Pearce restoration
Raleigh Beer Garden
Standard Foods Restaurant, includes multi storefront renovation.
Holy Trinity Church
Sheraton Hotel renovation
Marbles Kids Museum expansion
Holiday Inn remodel( was Clarion Hotel)
Capital Blvd/Peace St bridge(Downtowns North Gateway)
227 Fayetteville renovation
Edison Apartments
Devon 425
Devon 712
220 the Saint
Gramercy
The L
The Lincoln
Link
Skyhouse
West I
West II
Elan
The Ten
Blount Street Commons

Not inside DT Raleigh official boundaries but obviously to serve DT area
Dix Park
Aloft Raleigh
Walnut Terrace apartments

Rumors! Not solid at all. But I'll add just in case we get lucky!
Hyatt Hotel
Luxury High Rise. Directly across street from Edison office site. I've seem renderings but still shaky at this point.

There are some I missed because I don't know the exact project names. Or they are small projects. Also this includes very little of the new DT ten year plan. I have seen early drafts but it's still in the works. I will say this. If they can accomplish half of the new ideas in draft plan. I think even our big city brother to the south will be impressed.

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/_fi...hDraftPlan.pdf
Thanks for the list, it shows that Raleigh is serious about building up downtown. I am glad that Fayetteville Street is now back like it should be. Raleigh has change so much since I moved, we can get lost because of new roads & road improvements.

Charlotte has had so project since I moved here, I could not name them all.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Thanks for the list, it shows that Raleigh is serious about building up downtown. I am glad that Fayetteville Street is now back like it should be. Raleigh has change so much since I moved, we can get lost because of new roads & road improvements.

Charlotte has had so project since I moved here, I could not name them all.
DT is growing quite well. With the right leadership much is possible. Much of Raleigh is experiencing rapid growth. Hillsboro St/NCSU,Cameron Village,Crabtree,Triangle Town,Midtown,and almost forgot Centennial Campus. DT Durham,RTP,and even Cary are growing at a rapid pace. Raleigh is taking the lead but the entire Triangle is growing at a rapid pace. I'm sure the Charlotte area is growing at a rapid pace also.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:06 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
I think both Raleigh and Charlotte should drop calling their Midtown's Midtown, both nice areas, feel I can do little more in North Hills but at the same time, I do like the little sugar creek greenway and the view, nice area to chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina