Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 AM

363 posts, read 445,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
No one here says the Triangle is an asset to North Carolina, but Charlotte is just as important to North Carolina too. Charlotte is the second largest city in the southeast after Jacksonville Fla. It is not the largest metro.

Charlotte has more headquarters than Raleigh and no matter what you say does not change the fact that Charlotte is bigger than Raleigh.

Raleigh has 88 hotels in the city and Charlotte has 197 hotels.
Everyone on this forum knows Charlotte is at another level over Raleigh but you.
I think this is what has been missed.

I do not think anyone thinks Charlotte is "better". That is impossible to debate as it is completely subjective.

There is no debate on which is bigger. Its a matter of simple numbers. To argue downtown Raleigh, or Raleigh as a whole, is bigger than Uptown Charlotte or Charlotte is a real stupid, impossible argument.

That doesn't mean its better in any way shape or form. Just size.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,412 times
[quote=Big Aristotle;38122467]Lol, that's crazy stuff. I think the one thing that really holds Charlotte back from the so-called higher rating is the lack of more 4-year institutions or large/brand institution. Otherwise, it's well ahead of Raleigh (RDU) in transportation, fortune 500s, etc.

Triangle has two distinct advantages: Capital city and educational institutions. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two. Atlanta is a capital city which makes a huge difference with how educational institutions were initially granted to a city/region. See Columbia, Nashville, Richmond, etc. Charlotte made one bad decision, relocating UNCC campus from uptown area to outskirts of city (60s?). If not, I think a large urban campus would've propelled the city's artsy, etc, status...easily elevating it's so-called world status. I think having Johnson and Wales based in Charlotte has yielded dividends and bolds well for the innovative and creative fine dining non-chain scene.[/

There is no way to get UNNC campus in the downtown area, it is too big. It got over 3,000 acres where they are now. It population is over 27,000 students now.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I think this is what has been missed.

I do not think anyone thinks Charlotte is "better". That is impossible to debate as it is completely subjective.

There is no debate on which is bigger. Its a matter of simple numbers. To argue downtown Raleigh, or Raleigh as a whole, is bigger than Uptown Charlotte or Charlotte is a real stupid, impossible argument.

That doesn't mean its better in any way shape or form. Just size.
Amen

Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Amen
Amen

From someone who claims Charlotte is on another level?????

Please explain. Another Level of what exactly?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Amen

All the quote he said Amen to was my statement of the fact that Charlotte is larger.

Nowhere did anyone say another level except on the fact of size. Simply size. Not better. Size.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 AM

No two cities are alike. What makes Raleigh work is different from Charlotte. Charlotte is has manufacturing, transportation(rail, air & trucking), banking, energy, food, corporations headquarters, it, health care, county government and entertainment-sports.
Education is UNNC, JC Smith, Queens University, Davidson College Johnson & Wales, Charlotte School of Law and Queens School of Nursing School. CPCC largest Community College in NC

Raleigh has state government, County government IT, and RTP
education NC State, Shaw U, Meredith College, Peace University, St. Augustine University , Wake Tech, Skema Business School and Campbell Law School.

Both Raleigh and Charlotte has private for profit schools and extended programs of MBA and other fields.

So you make a Raleigh like Charlotte or Charlotte like Raleigh. Both are good for North Carolina.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
All the quote he said Amen to was my statement of the fact that Charlotte is larger.

Nowhere did anyone say another level except on the fact of size. Simply size. Not better. Size.
He can speak for himself first off. Secondly his amen seems to contradict his claims of another level. Something that obviously has nothing to do with just Charlotte s size.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,727 times
Quote:
Amen

Everyone just did but once again its not what u wanna hear. If Raleigh was as big as this ego that you have then oh Raleigh would be wayyyyyyy bigger and better then Charlotte right. I fogot that with you way of thinking has you believeing Raleigh is on the level of Denver, Boston, and Seattle right but its not. Let's bring this back to reality now and look at this more closely. Raleigh is nowere any of those city's but Charlotte is a lot closer and its next tier group of cities as well. Did I forget something or when did Raleigh get there with us?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
He can speak for himself first off. Secondly his amen seems to contradict his claims of another level. Something that obviously has nothing to do with just Charlotte s size.
Well I wont speak for him.

My thoughts are both cities (areas) are very different, and there are things both cities do better or worse than others.

Charlotte has a much larger banking sector, larger centralized downtown area, more F500 companies, and better public transit.

Raleigh has a much better education sector, world class tech sector, better food(ill give that one up), and the fact that its the capitol.

Other things are verrrry subjective (ie sports... some people like the pro sports, some college.. personally I like sports that arent played much in either city so its a bit irrelevant to me.)

Both have an insane amount of development that 99% of cities would dream of. Both are constantly on top 10 lists for about everything.

In the end, both are great, and for me, id live in either happily. I go where my work goes!

Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Well I wont speak for him.

My thoughts are both cities (areas) are very different, and there are things both cities do better or worse than others.

Charlotte has a much larger banking sector, larger centralized downtown area, more F500 companies, and better public transit.

Raleigh has a much better education sector, world class tech sector, better food(ill give that one up), and the fact that its the capitol.

Other things are verrrry subjective (ie sports... some people like the pro sports, some college.. personally I like sports that arent played much in either city so its a bit irrelevant to me.)

Both have an insane amount of development that 99% of cities would dream of. Both are constantly on top 10 lists for about everything.

In the end, both are great, and for me, id live in either happily. I go where my work goes!
We finally agree on something. Both areas cities/metros have advantages and disadvantages. In the end about equal depending on personal preference. You are also correct most cities would kill to be Charlotte or Raleigh. Fortunately NC Has both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina