Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 AM

743 posts, read 826,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And here it is!!

Whole Foods opening uptown Charlotte supermarket | CharlotteObserver.com

Whole Foods confirmed along with the announcement of a new project of a midrise & Highrise apartment complex all on the same block! Wow, super exciting to have WholeFoods uptown.

I think WholeFoods being uptown will be great because it will create a broader culture of getting people to choose to shop uptown. There are only 2 wholefoods in the Charlotte region (1 being in my beautiful Huntersville), this will be the 3rd. People from all over center city, I imagine, will drive uptown to shop here.

Fabulous news and will do wonders for uptown and will lead to more retail over time, something that uptown is improving at but has been the downfall of uptown for decades.

Publix should also be coming uptown on the opposite side
This will be Whole Foods 4th store(Southpark,Lake Norman,plus the planned Ballantyne/Providence rd store). I agree that a nice retail corridor is developing along Stonewall leading into SouthEnd.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
This will be Whole Foods 4th store(Southpark,Lake Norman,plus the planned Ballantyne/Providence rd store). I agree that a nice retail corridor is developing along Stonewall leading into SouthEnd.

Not just SouthEnd, but also midtown. A few blocks down and there is Metropolitan with Target, Trader Joes, BJ's, Best Buy, Staples, Ross. This will be a great catalyst for 2nd ward.

I think it's time Stonewall got some sidewalk upgrades.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Not just SouthEnd, but also midtown. A few blocks down and there is Metropolitan with Target, Trader Joes, BJ's, Best Buy, Staples, Ross. This will be a great catalyst for 2nd ward.

I think it's time Stonewall got some sidewalk upgrades.
And a possible retail focused anchor on the observer site.I feel this is a great opportunity to reestablish retail Uptown. South park doesn't seem to have a appetite for another massive expansion & Carolina Place,Northlake,& Concord Mills cater to a different demographic. So specialty retail with a few anchor type tenants could compliment Southpark & not directly compete with the other retail centers

Old 02-10-2015, 09:15 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times

So nice to have something fill up that spot. It looked so ugly having nothing there but a pile of dirt. It was so visually unappealing, I got so tired of just looking at the Nascar Hall of Fame sitting all alone there on the corner. People would step out of the that building and have nowhere to go. This should make the area more vibrant and make a connection with Southend much smoother.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post

So nice to have something fill up that spot. It looked so ugly having nothing there but a pile of dirt. It was so visually unappealing, I got so tired of just looking at the Nascar Hall of Fame sitting all alone there on the corner. People would step out of the that building and have nowhere to go. This should make the area more vibrant and make a connection with Southend much smoother.
With so much potential development happening along this corridor leads me to believe the cap over 277 happens sooner rather than later even if done in phases

Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Christensen: Raleigh needs buses, not rail | Rob Christensen | NewsObserver.com

Wow, that is one bitter author...While Raleigh seems to have near zero prospects of rail anytime soon, Durham will still get its light rail line, correct?

Astonishing rail critics claim Raleigh is too small for rail when literally directly beside them Durham will be getting light rail. Durham could have a line to RTP and IMO that wouldn't be too great for Wake county.

I don't think a lack of rail will slow the roll of Raleigh, but I do think it gives an advantage to orange.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Wow, that is one bitter author...While Raleigh seems to have near zero prospects of rail anytime soon, Durham will still get its light rail line, correct?

Astonishing rail critics claim Raleigh is too small for rail when literally directly beside them Durham will be getting light rail. Durham could have a line to RTP and IMO that wouldn't be too great for Wake county.

I don't think a lack of rail will slow the roll of Raleigh, but I do think it gives an advantage to orange.
I think they are being practical, the Orange Line has less than 50% chance of coming to fruition . Theirs no way that line cost less than 2 billion, especially since the blue line extension is 10 miles shorter,less complex, yet the Orange line is expected to cost only a 100 million more ? Then they have the issue of the state no longer funding 25% of the cost.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,137 times
Quote:

Yes a very bitter one indeed. Raleigh's bus system could use a little more work but it's not nearly as bad as he's making it.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,359 times
Quote:

This quote from the article describing Raleigh is priceless..."It is also a city with very low density, making it look more like a suburb on hormones than a true urban center."

Old 02-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
This quote from the article describing Raleigh is priceless..."It is also a city with very low density, making it look more like a suburb on hormones than a true urban center."
To be fair you could describe Charlotte & most southern cities this way. The major difference is Uptown is the largest employment center & all transit services run thru center city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina