Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
How is everything up in DC?
Great, actually. Still love coming to North Carolina though. I just hope the state doesn't jump the rails too much more poltically. For me, the swing to Right has tainted things. That said, NC has so many good people and great bones. I hope it moves back more to the (political) center soon?

By the way, Charlotte especially....and Durham, Raleigh, Asheville...even GSO and Winston are looking great

Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
In regards to school grades, honestly this is something that people need to not take at face value, there are a lot of factors that will bring down a schools score, this does not mean that the school is bad or that your child can't receive a great education at said school.

At the end of the day, education does not start at school nor does it end there. It begins at home, a lot of what effects a child's performance is how they value education. If a child is in a environment where either the parents don't value education or the majority of his/her peers, this will effect him/her performance at school.

There are kids performing more then just well at many of these schools that don't necessarily look good on paper, but at the same time produce students that go on to top colleges. There are again many things that brings down a school score and one of them is increasing poverty.

Quote:
Two new studies on education and poverty were reported in Education Week in October. The first from the Southern Education Foundation reveals that nearly half of all U.S. public school students live in poverty. Poverty has risen in every state since President Clinton left office.The second study, conducted by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, reveals that poverty — not race, ethnicity, national origin or where you attend school — is the best predictor of college attendance and completion
Quote:
15.8 million children lived in food-insecure households in 2012
There are other issues associated with poverty, and hunger that effects how a child will learn, and this reflects school scores.

Tad bit long but just explaining that both areas have good schools, and that one city have a higher performance grade then the other on paper isn't a real reason for bragging rights.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,984 times
Wooooo updated Tryon Place video
http://player.vimeo.com/video/95742459?autoplay=1

With Whole Foods being official for Crescent Stonewall, I don't think Tryon Place will be the landing place for Lidl, at least not a location of their grocery store, although I'm not ruling out them having a presence in the office building. I only say this because I have a hard time believing both Crescent projects will have a grocery store.

I will say however, that I truly believe Belk will open a Express store at Tryon Place

Last edited by choloboy36; 02-11-2015 at 01:18 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Uptown Charlotte is getting another grocery store...Whole Foods intends to be a part of new mid- and high-residential project. And, Publix and Harris Teeter are building Southend on the Blue Line. Nice job CLT!
Plus a probable Publix at sky house 2 in 1st ward to complement the HT in 4th ward, the 7th St public market & several independent operators like meat & fish co new store on morehead. Plus at least 2 developments that I know of are looking for grocery tenants

Old 02-11-2015, 07:02 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
Since 2000, Charlotte has seen $6 billion in public and private investment in its core, according to Michael Smith, president and CEO of Charlotte Center City Partners. “And in that time, downtown population went from 8,000 to more than 25,000.” What we are seeing now is the putting together of a master plan 20 years ago. All the development in uptown is no accident.
When uptown is built out where does it expand to next, most likely
SouthEndhttp://www.historicsouthend.com/ ,
Midtown ,http://www.metmidtown.com/shop,
Plaza Midwood http://plazamidwood.com/ ,
Elizabeth http://www.elizabethcommunity.com/ NODA http://www.noda.org/

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-11-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
In regards to school grades, honestly this is something that people need to not take at face value, there are a lot of factors that will bring down a schools score, this does not mean that the school is bad or that your child can't receive a great education at said school.

At the end of the day, education does not start at school nor does it end there. It begins at home, a lot of what effects a child's performance is how they value education. If a child is in a environment where either the parents don't value education or the majority of his/her peers, this will effect him/her performance at school.

There are kids performing more then just well at many of these schools that don't necessarily look good on paper, but at the same time produce students that go on to top colleges. There are again many things that brings down a school score and one of them is increasing poverty.

There are other issues associated with poverty, and hunger that effects how a child will learn, and this reflects school scores.

Tad bit long but just explaining that both areas have good schools, and that one city have a higher performance grade then the other on paper isn't a real reason for bragging rights.
I would disagree. One city having clearly better schools. Gives it plenty of bragging rights. Both judged on the same scale. The two largest systems in the state. One with many schools getting F's. The other with no F's. There is a clear advantage here.

One area invested and focused on schools more than the other. This is the result.

The other focused on other thingsn, public trans for example.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 3,118 times
Charlotte has a bigger city feel, Raleigh is more of a sprawling urban/suburban setting which graciously flows into the surrounding areas (Durham, Wake Forest, Cary, Knightdale, Garner). And definitely do not worry about Trader Joe's. There is one in Raleigh and in Cary.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Charlotte <The Article

Ok, If it was ever possible, I love Atlanta even more now. A rather flattering article by AJC about Charlotte.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 AM

The reason Atlanta sent reporters to Dallas, Texas and to Charlotte.

The city of Atlanta population is going down.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I would disagree. One city having clearly better schools. Gives it plenty of bragging rights. Both judged on the same scale. The two largest systems in the state. One with many schools getting F's. The other with no F's. There is a clear advantage here.

One area invested and focused on schools more than the other. This is the result.

The other focused on other thingsn, public trans for example.
As long as the law makers in Raleigh want to do away with our public schools, the whole state of North Carolina is in trouble. What they want are charter schools and the rich can send their kids to private schools, and the one who go to charter schools hope they will not close down before school year ends due to miss management. Why is Texas in North Carolina recruiting teachers, because our Republicans in Raleigh do not like them anymore.

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-11-2015 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina