Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 05:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
We are just happy with Freedom Park. We are not in a contest for the biggest park. quality counts for one thing. Charlotte is in the process of building another park uptown which will give us 4 parks by Mecklenburg County. Charlotte does not need a 300 acres park in uptown Charlotte
Other Parks in Uptown and Center City,

Romare Bearden Park (not picture)

4th Ward Park

Park on Tryon Street

The Green

Sugar Creek Green Way

Marshall Park

Charlotte skyline as seen from greenway - Picture of Little Sugar Creek Greenway, Charlotte - TripAdvisor
Marshall Park reminds of Old 4th Ward Park in Atlanta and the Sugar Creek Greenway looks similar to Freedom Park in Atlanta.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,162,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Oops. This is Paris btw
I knew some fool would do this, now we know who that fool is, lol !

VERY small section of town and not a Paris focal pint. There's also the Washington Monument. So there's that. OOPS!

Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM

363 posts, read 445,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The hotel that is missing will be next to McDonalds,behind Charter Square South. It's rumored to be a Embassy Suites,but I can't confirm that.

I forgot about the Reynolds site hotel. Is that at the old greyhound station? I can't tell?

If I had to guess all the proposals will probably happen fingers crossed.(from your pic). Maybe not the Reynolds hotel,seems weak to me,but who knows.

The next big shoe to drop will be the N&O site. I'm sure they are asking for two arms and a leg for that prime lot. I would imagine anything built there would have to be big,to justify the price of the land. Anything over 25 stories would be very prominent.

I personally am not too concerned with the tallest anything. From what I've seen coming down the pipeline I'm more than pleased with Downtowns progress.

Dix will pull DT south eventually right outside its gates.

Union Station will really boost the Warehouse District. Along with Citrix.

Not to mention the other great plans for DT. It may not ever be the tallest,but it'll be pretty good.

Best New Restaurants: 12 To Watch | Southern Living Blog

Attachment 149365

This little building will get plenty of state and national attention. I hope Death and Taxes opens soon. I've been looking forward to checking it out for a while. If it opens soon maybe I can get a reservation before ChristmasIf I'm lucky it will be a madhouse.
'

I agree with everything you posted here, really great developments for Raleigh. N&O = News & Observer?

Looks like the newspapers in both cities are ripe for some new developments!

Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
I knew some fool would do this, now we know who that fool is, lol !

VERY small section of town. There's also the Washington Monument. OOPS!
Have you ever been to Paris? I have, several times. It's not small area at all, in fact i believe its the biggest in Europe.

You didnt see it coming because you've never left your hometown.

European cities are built very differently so dont use them as a comparison. Barcelona would be a better example of a skyscraperless city, and one of my favorite places in the world. But its all highrises, the whole city is highrises. So lets not act like Raleigh is in any way similar to a european city, or washington dc.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been to Paris? I have, several times. It's not small area at all, in fact i believe its the biggest in Europe.

You didnt see it coming because you've never left your hometown.
No I saw it coming

I can pretty much guarantee you have visited and LIVED in larger cities than you have

(there are tall buildings in Crystal City and Arlington too )

Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Nope, I've been to tokyo (the largest), and lived in NYC and Barcelona.

You can talk all you want.. this is the internet. I'd bet every last cent I have you dont have a passport.
LOL, you'd lose Have you actually lived in Tokyo?

Old 05-05-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh540 View Post
LOL, you'd lose Have you actually lived in Tokyo?
No, and neither have you.

Although I am sure you will tell the internet you have so have at it.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
no, and neither have you.

Although i am sure you will tell the internet you have so have at it.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,441,075 times
[quote=Atowwn;39500231]The hotel that is missing will be next to McDonalds,behind Charter Square South. It's rumored to be a Embassy Suites,but I can't confirm that.

I forgot about the Reynolds site hotel. Is that at the old greyhound station? I can't tell?

If I had to guess all the proposals will probably happen fingers crossed.(from your pic). Maybe not the Reynolds hotel,seems weak to me,but who knows.

The next big shoe to drop will be the N&O site. I'm sure they are asking for two arms and a leg for that prime lot. I would imagine anything built there would have to be big,to justify the price of the land. Anything over 25 stories would be very prominent.

We are in the same boat with the Charlotte Observer site here in Charlotte. It is 9.4 acres.

I watch a video on how Raleigh is trying develop downtown. It takes time and a lot of money. One thing the man from Boston made, was Raleigh did not have freeway around like Charlotte. I laugh. But Charlotte and Raleigh are 2 different cities. US74 came through downtown Charlotte, NC 16 also and I77 was built west of downtown. There was no way that the street in uptown Charlotte today could handle all that traffic. The thing Charlotte wants to do is cap John Belt Freeway.

Raleigh has I40 south of downtown but I don't think it will hurt the development in downtown Raleigh. Also more employment and more skyscrapers was on the table. I guess for Raleigh is to get people who are willing to invest in downtown.

Last edited by CLT1985; 05-05-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 05-05-2015, 05:45 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,653 times
Quote:
Oops. This is Paris btw
For a city of 12 million that's a small skyline. Of course, Paris has miles and miles of ancient architecture so there's no shortage of pretty stuff to look at, also... it's Paris. Berlin or St Petersburg would've been more extreme examples perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
The hotel that is missing will be next to McDonalds,behind Charter Square South. It's rumored to be a Embassy Suites,but I can't confirm that.

Ah, I couldn't find the floor count for the hotel next to the McDonalds, so I left it off. I vaguely remember 14-ish but I might wait until it's more concrete.

R&R bought the Greyhound site last year--which is what caused the move, and announced they were building a 10 floor hotel there. Hopefully they can follow through this time, but buying the lot shows some commitment. Kane also bought the Dillon Warehouse site and may end up putting more than one tower there. Possibly an office and a residential tower, and one of them could end up being 20 floors, but I kept it conservative.

Quote:

I personally am not too concerned with the tallest anything. From what I've seen coming down the pipeline I'm more than pleased with Downtowns progress.
I would not be satisfied with anything less than 40 stories on the N&O lot. It begs for something that height, but I agree. My favorite low-key project is the Stone's Warehouse renovation, into a grocer with retail and residential. That will be just about the perfect funky little urban spot when that's done.

Look at that! That will be saved and converted into a really cool place. The greenway to Chavis Park is right across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.