Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times

Advertisements

The schools are crowded in many areas of the triangle, specifically west Cary, morrissville and apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Here's my angle regarding house searching. I selected Chapel Hill as an example.

This area appears very desolate on the map.

1316 Tripp Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 Mod cut
A property like that will hit almost all your criteria, sans one: walkable shopping. You're half way to Saxapahaw, which is actually a cool little place for concerts / artwork / locavore convenience stores/food stops (don't ask, just go there). But, that address is driving-distance-only to shopping, I'd think - 20 minutes by the map.

When you ask about walkable shopping down here, that means areas off Franklin St. in Chapel Hill, parts of Carrboro, around downtown Durham, or "ITB" (inside the beltline) neighborhoods in Raleigh, or perhaps the oddity like North Hills or certain other niches.

That property at that price may not be a bad trade-off but it will be a trade-off against your list -- just about everything would.

BTW, my guess is that house is zoned for Orange County schools, not Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools, which may account for the price difference.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:

So is finding a sizable potion of land (.75 acre) in the suburbs not feasible to sustain a 200K salary? I currently have 1.2 acres in upper Westchester NY with a 45 minute commute to New York City, and highly doubt it's more expensive to live in NC with less acreage. What's the cut-off down there according to my salary? I don't mind giving up land, but I'm sure there is a more driven democratic community somewhere offering my housing needs.

Why lose my political stance? NC has become very democratically sustained since the last 2 elections. (more of a purple state now since 2008), and expected to continue.

I agree the school rating system is a bit flawed and NEVER concrete with accurate scoring systems. I expect a little give and take in this arena, yet may have to succumb to what's offered based on my choice location instead.
This might be a mind blower, but there are quite a good many families in the more desirable areas of NC who are pulling in 200k plus a year, so asking to get nearly an acre, plus larger house, plus walkable to shopping, plus good for families, plus high-end ratings for schools... for less than 500k? Or even less than about 700k-1mil? Yeah... that's asking a lot more than you think for most of the more desirable parts of NC.

You can spend more money... or you can scale back your expectations. That's really what everyone here is telling you.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Here's my angle regarding house searching. I selected Chapel Hill as an example.

This area appears very desolate on the map.

1316 Tripp Rd, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 Mod cut
If this house is an example of what you want, then it has several compromises with the original requirements: the square footage is smaller and there is no shopping nearby. The schools are Orange County (and rated 7 or 8 on Greatschools.org). The high school has only 1000 students, and they have growth plans for the future. You will be far enough away from the neighbors that their politics and religion won't matter.

Good luck with your desire to move, but only you know what you can live with.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Here is a listing that meet most of your requirements in Wilmington (walkable shopping and .75 acres wont happen)...

6004 Wellesley Dr, Wilmington, NC 28409 - mod cut

Here's one that is a little bit higher...one of my favorite neighborhoods...

2717 Shandy Ln, Wilmington, NC 28409 - mod cut

Great schools on this one, but the price keeps going up...

7501 Jonquil Ct, Wilmington, NC 28409 - mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-17-2014 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: no real estate listings

Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
This might be a mind blower, but there are quite a good many families in the more desirable areas of NC who are pulling in 200k plus a year, so asking to get nearly an acre, plus larger house, plus walkable to shopping, plus good for families, plus high-end ratings for schools... for less than 500k? Or even less than about 700k-1mil? Yeah... that's asking a lot more than you think for most of the more desirable parts of NC.

You can spend more money... or you can scale back your expectations. That's really what everyone here is telling you.
Fairly well put...you forgot to mention that there have been folks with high incomes and money to spend moving from the North that have been running up the property prices for 20 years or so....

FWIW...I live in a 4BR, 3 Bath 2700 sq ft with .70 acre and walkable to the park, school, and shopping in Wilmington....with highly rated schools...for only about 300K....and a fairly diverse neighborhood...in Pine Valley in Wilmington. Here's an example...

824 Robert E Lee Dr, Wilmington, NC 28412 - mod cut
The cross city trail right off the neighborhood can take you to the Mall/Whole Foods area....

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-17-2014 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: no real estate listings

Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 PM

136 posts, read 435,529 times
I've read your post a few times over and have come to the conclusion that you should stay in New York. Honestly, from your list I picture you as someone who moves to NC and then complains about how much better New York is.

Your house price range and lot size will either put you out of town where you will probably chafe at the more conservative nature of your fellow residents. The schools probably won't be bad but they won't be great. You'll want to seek out a more established neighborhood for that and will have to compromise on lot size and/or price.

This area doesn't have the population density over time to have lots and lots of older established neighborhoods that grow eclectic multi-cultural experiences. With our population growth we tend to see housing a lot of housing development surrounding shopping centers with the typical chains. 3/4 acre lots do not lend themselves to walkable shopping. Current trends in home construction are for windy streets and cul-de-sacs. When you reach the main road it's way far from the shopping areas. Walkable and non-chain means buying into the older established neighborhoods with smaller lots, smaller houses (unless there's been a tear-down), and higher prices.

My advice, move to NC for what it is, or move someplace else. Don't move here trying to make it something it isn't. You won't be happy doing that.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Why lose my political stance? NC has become very democratically sustained since the last 2 elections. (more of a purple state now since 2008), and expected to continue.
You REALLY, REALLY need to do some research!!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 PM

148 posts, read 531,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't mind scaling back a few hundred square feet, school, amenities, etc., so I can obtain an optimal location. I have come across some very favorable houses such as in the aforementioned example, as it appears there are a few homes with a little more property at very competitive prices in the northern areas surrounding Raleigh.

My list includes my desires, as I'm willing to minimize whichever amenities necessary to complete this move.

The hunt continues...

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM

148 posts, read 531,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeff View Post
I've read your post a few times over and have come to the conclusion that you should stay in New York. Honestly, from your list I picture you as someone who moves to NC and then complains about how much better New York is.
I see...give up my search based on your opinion?
I'm not expecting New York by any means, just simply stating what I prefer vs. what I'll probably get. I don't NEED .75 acres as per se, but I'm certainly not going to reduce my list based on more common type properties in the southern region. My New York comparison (stated earlier) is very credible due to the standard of living and what I currently pay for taxes, SF, acreage, etc.. vs. what I can obtain for a lot cheaper in NC. My general outlook on NC is not "cheap" by any means, although a lot more affordable vs. the North East. (i.e.roperty values and taxes)

Quote:
Your house price range and lot size will either put you out of town where you will probably chafe at the more conservative nature of your fellow residents. The schools probably won't be bad but they won't be great. You'll want to seek out a more established neighborhood for that and will have to compromise on lot size and/or price.
Compromise is OK

Quote:
This area doesn't have the population density over time to have lots and lots of older established neighborhoods that grow eclectic multi-cultural experiences. With our population growth we tend to see housing a lot of housing development surrounding shopping centers with the typical chains. 3/4 acre lots do not lend themselves to walkable shopping. Current trends in home construction are for windy streets and cul-de-sacs. When you reach the main road it's way far from the shopping areas. Walkable and non-chain means buying into the older established neighborhoods with smaller lots, smaller houses (unless there's been a tear-down), and higher prices.
So, with all the population growth occurring, why squeeze into an unwanted cookie cutter situation where your 5 feet from your neighbor? That to me is just poor planning and design! In this situation shopping will always be off the path and forced to travel @8 miles into the shopping district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina