Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times

Advertisements

If my opinion counts, I would suggest that you slow down the move and investigate the state more. It just doesn't sound like your cup of tea, not to say you may not find the right place for you if you took your time and explored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM

136 posts, read 435,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you realize how antagonistic you sound? You came here asking for our advice and opinions, then when they don't fit your expectations, you get combative (and a bit insulting to those of us who live quite happily in those "incarcerated" and "ridicules" - ridiculous - neighborhoods).
He's from New York, so probably not. This probably passes for polite banter up North.

My advice would be that you not buy, but rent for the first year or two. This allows you to really learn the area and pick something that works for you. As with many things there will be compromises to be made. And if you find that NC is not to your liking you can leave without the headache of selling a home.

Plus, someone who feels party affiliation is an important criteria for a neighborhood should probably just stay in New York.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM

978 posts, read 2,055,494 times
No offense OP, but your attitude is the reason a lot of Southerners dislike Yankees. "Things aren't like they are up in NY" and "I'm a serious democrat" are often phrases which scare away Southerners.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
OP, have you considered Northern Virginia?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM

148 posts, read 531,892 times
Quote:
Do you realize how antagonistic you sound? You came here asking for our advice and opinions, then when they don't fit your expectations, you get combative (and a bit insulting to those of us who live quite happily in those "incarcerated" and "ridicules" - ridiculous - neighborhoods).
Oh C'mon...It's just my opinion! Your insulted because I'm bashing something over what you happen to enjoy. That's what discussion forums are all about! Great, you are satisfied and living under your own terms in the neighborhood of your choice. What your failing to realize are my housing needs pertaining to my initial post, which may seem impossible to obtain by the majority, although certainly not in my mind. No biggie if I can't have shopping within walkable distance or .75 acres, yet I bet if I look hard enough I'll get something pretty close to it.
Don't be afraid to reach for the stars!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
OP, have you considered Northern Virginia?
Funny you asked this. I was just house searching there last night. Came up with many appealing houses in great neighborhoods, although the prices in NC are slightly cheaper. Something to consider in the overall scheme of things.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjeff View Post
He's from New York, so probably not. This probably passes for polite banter up North.

My advice would be that you not buy, but rent for the first year or two. This allows you to really learn the area and pick something that works for you. As with many things there will be compromises to be made. And if you find that NC is not to your liking you can leave without the headache of selling a home.

Plus, someone who feels party affiliation is an important criteria for a neighborhood should probably just stay in New York.
FYI: I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and loved it. I also lived in Myrtle Beach for a year and loved it. The people were great and I love the southern culture. All my experiences were positive, both professionally and socially. I also lived in London, UK which was very opinionated, yet a learning experience with no argument for any reason. Sorry if my Northern "polite banter" makes you feel uncomfortable, but I have to state my opinion. I don't feel the North and South are still divided as much, although many Southerners to this day cannot be in the same room with a New Yorker. We don't bite!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:46 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
No offense OP, but your attitude is the reason a lot of Southerners dislike Yankees. "Things aren't like they are up in NY" and "I'm a serious democrat" are often phrases which scare away Southerners.
Scares away lots of people - not just Southerners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
FYI: I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and loved it. I also lived in Myrtle Beach for a year and loved it. The people were great and I love the southern culture. All my experiences were positive, both professionally and socially. I also lived in London, UK which was very opinionated, yet a learning experience with no argument for any reason. Sorry if my Northern "polite banter" makes you feel uncomfortable, but I have to state my opinion. I don't feel the North and South are still divided as much, although many Southerners to this day cannot be in the same room with a New Yorker. We don't bite!
I was born and raised on the North Shore of Long Island - trust me, I know your Northern "polite banter" and I've worked hard to learn how to tone it down since I left New York 30+ years ago. I've highlighted the first thing you might consider learning: You do not HAVE to state your opinion. Especially when YOU were the one who asked for OUR opinion.

In the end, I agree - Northern VA would be a better fit for you, especially given that your political preferences are a major part of your decision matrix.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Scares away lots of people - not just Southerners!

I was born and raised on the North Shore of Long Island - trust me, I know your Northern "polite banter" and I've worked hard to learn how to tone it down since I left New York 30+ years ago. I've highlighted the first thing you might consider learning: You do not HAVE to state your opinion. Especially when YOU were the one who asked for OUR opinion.

In the end, I agree - Northern VA would be a better fit for you, especially given that your political preferences are a major part of your decision matrix.
I sincerely appreciate the constructive advice (especially direct from a native Long Islander), but working hard to tone down my personality to satisfy whomever just isn't in my cards. If somebody asks me why I need .75 acres or why I do or don't prefer a particular neighborhood, I state my opinion, full stop! I'm sure you've been in this situation many times, and if you haven't, your just not being yourself.

On a higher note, this thread is purely concentrating on the "Why" a particular area won't fit my expectations because I'm from New York (stereotyping?), yet my goal is concentrated on the "Where", inclusive of my housing needs which is simply indicated on my opening post. If my housing/living requirements are too far beyond realistic expectation in NC, then I'm willing to take a step back and settle for less.

Northern VA is also on my list.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 10,808 times
Welcome to NC! Please do not be discouraged by the political argument. I'm extremely liberal, and having grown up in Charlotte, I was very easily able to surround myself with like-minded people. Charlotte is a progressive, cultured, smart city full of vibrant people, both locals and transplants--I feel like it would be the best fit. CMS, our school system, is VERY highly regarded if you're looking at public schools--some of the nicer high schools include South Meck, Ardrey Kell and Providence in S. Charlotte, and Hough or Hopewell up north (much of South Charlotte is a little more prestigious and the schools are a bit newer with better amenities). I think Charlotte might be your best bet just because it really has so many options, from housing costs to school choices. If you want land, move to Weddington, a super-south-Charlotte suburb where you can land a big house on land for comparatively cheap and be in the Weddington High School district which is also very good.

Areas you might want to check out to live: You sound like you would fit in well in the Southpark area! It's beautiful, manicured, and cheerful. Lots of shopping and food, along with one of the top 10 most luxurious malls in the US.

Also safe/pretty/desirable:

Ballantyne
Matthews (most of it)
Huntersville (parts of it--can range from the McMansions neighborhoods like The Peninsula, where celebrities live, to nice middle-class lake communities, all the way down to some very shady complexes)
Cotswald
Piper Glen is stunning but pricy
Myers Park would also be a GREAT bet for big, beautiful houses with history and a phenomenal high school. (I know your kids aren't in high school yet, but I'm not too sure about schools below that level.)

And there's abundant private schools in Charlotte if you don't like our many public schools.

Hope that helped!

A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina