Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think Charlotte is calling you.

I agree.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:20 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Thanks..Duram central or outskirts? Is Chapel Hill or Carrboro a very vast area? Walkable shopping is a "nice to have", but will not be a deal breaker if I can get the desired SF.
Chapel Hill Carrboro is the opposite of vast it is increasingly becoming more dense as the development along the W Rosemary-E main corridor is evidence of. In fact ever since the 1980s the towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro have acted to limit sprawl by implementing a rural buffer zone to prevent sprawl and non-dense growth.

The Rural Buffer | Chapel Hill Recorder

Durham however, has been getting consistently better as a place to live and is much more affordable especially around the more suburban areas, It also has almost everything you want except that the schools aren't that good. Others seem to be suggesting Charlotte, which I know next to nothing about, but that might be worth investigating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 AM

148 posts, read 531,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Chapel Hill Carrboro is the opposite of vast it is increasingly becoming more dense as the development along the W Rosemary-E main corridor is evidence of. In fact ever since the 1980s the towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro have acted to limit sprawl by implementing a rural buffer zone to prevent sprawl and non-dense growth.

The Rural Buffer | Chapel Hill Recorder

Durham however, has been getting consistently better as a place to live and is much more affordable especially around the more suburban areas, It also has almost everything you want except that the schools aren't that good. Others seem to be suggesting Charlotte, which I know next to nothing about, but that might be worth investigating.
Thanks..very helpful indeed. Do you know how the schools rate in the rural buffer zone? I'm going to search and compare against Durham schools.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,872 times
Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools - Assignment Map

Here is a map of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro city schools district. Apparently, according to it most of the rural buffer is in Chapel Hill Carrboro city schools, but I would encourage you to look at zillow in the buffer area, again for the Sq. ft. you want and the acreage it tends to run a bit more expensive then what you put in your OP.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Really, Charlotte. I'm not feeling Chapel Hill for you. I think you'd enjoy the Charlotte area more.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:37 PM

I really like the vastness north of Durham and Chapel Hill @ royal buffer zone, just east of 1-40. Just saw a few nice homes in those areas and very close to town. Not sure if Hillsborough or outskirts of Burlington are too remote.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,370 times
Hi,
Our family is planning a move to NC and your wishlist is very similar to ours...we would love to hear where you end up. We are in Minnesota and have no connections in NC as well as understanding any of the areas. My husbands job will be in charlotte but we are willing to look where ever. Our budge is the same as yours...

Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kseeger View Post
Hi,
Our family is planning a move to NC and your wishlist is very similar to ours...we would love to hear where you end up. We are in Minnesota and have no connections in NC as well as understanding any of the areas. My husbands job will be in charlotte but we are willing to look where ever. Our budge is the same as yours...
I shall, although it's leaning towards Charlotte - Southpark or Waxhal areas.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:50 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you realize how antagonistic you sound? You came here asking for our advice and opinions, then when they don't fit your expectations, you get combative (and a bit insulting to those of us who live quite happily in those "incarcerated" and "ridicules" - ridiculous - neighborhoods).
He's a Noo Yawka, what do you expect??

OP, you really don't seem to know much about the state, nor the people thereof, where you seem determined to move. I can't see you necessarily fitting in here, but something tells me you've already called the moving van...so, um good luck?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
Funny you asked this. I was just house searching there last night. Came up with many appealing houses in great neighborhoods, although the prices in NC are slightly cheaper. Something to consider in the overall scheme of things.
I think your attitude would fit in better there, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina