Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Early Voting starts today, voting can only be done in the precinct that is on the registration card.

To look up precinct click here. NC Polling Place Search
Yes, what a pain. I have to go to Cleveland county to vote... I guess I have no one to blame but myself by the time I realized the final law, it was like a day or 2 before registration ended.

This isn't "common sense reform". Surely there is a way to prevent voter fraud (mailing address + ID, proof of residency - Lease, utility)And still have same day registrations or at least changes do people don't have to drive 30+ miles each way...

I wonder if my vote will even count in Cleveland, which I think is solidly red. Is it winner take all by county or is it whoever gets the most votes statewide wins??

Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I wonder if my vote will even count in Cleveland, which I think is solidly red. Is it winner take all by county or is it whoever gets the most votes statewide wins??
Thats a good question, that I will see if this info available online when Im not busy which is rare lately.
I need to look up judges and get idea which way they lean by their bios or whats on the net.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:05 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
It's most votes statewide, not county by county.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:07 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Yes, what a pain. I have to go to Cleveland county to vote... I guess I have no one to blame but myself by the time I realized the final law, it was like a day or 2 before registration ended.

This isn't "common sense reform". Surely there is a way to prevent voter fraud (mailing address + ID, proof of residency - Lease, utility)And still have same day registrations or at least changes do people don't have to drive 30+ miles each way...

There are plenty of Democrats in Cleveland County, but many are blue dogs. It went red 2 years ago because the Republicans sent out mailings accusing certain Democrats of being against traditional marriage because they opposed Amendment one. It brought out large numbers of evangelical voters. Most appeared to be first-time voters. The Senate race is decided by the state-wide vote.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Don't count it. Hagan will get relatively few votes from this district beyond African American neighborhoods. Tillis only has to worry about turnout here.

I've said before, Western NC is not where statewide campaigns are won or lost. This area will firmly go for Tillis/McHenry so there really isn't much need to do much campaigning. Asheville being the only real exception and some of them will vote Libertarian. The Tillis/Hagan battle is being fought in the East with the Jessiecrats who will flip/flop between parties. (in national elections).

Hagan is an excellent politician. She has masterfully turned this election around by making Tillis the issue rather than her own sorry record which she absolutely can't run on. Well..... that and outspending Tillis 2 to 1 on political adverts. Tillis for his part has strategically failed to differentiate himself from Hagan. He needs a knockout blow, quickly, that I don't see coming.

You are right. People are morons.
2 years ago, by this time, lawns on Garrison were lined with Republican candidate names. McHenry's name had gone up after the democratic candidate stuck her foot in her mouth. This time the Democrat has been silent. The Republicans in Gastonia were livid when McHenry brought Daryl Isis' dog & pony show to Gastonia. I have no clue which way it will go & I live out here.

Lincoln County is redder than red. Cleveland is no guarantee for either party. If the fiscal conservatives want to get rid of McHenry, they could tip the balance in Gaston. I don't know what the politics are in Rutherford County, but I suspect that they are similar to Cleveland.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:36 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
^People tend to be more involved during Presidential election years unless there is some pressing local issue to be voted on.

What you speak of is what happens when people will only vote the party. It will be interesting to see what happens this year as the straight party voting option has been removed from the machines.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
^People tend to be more involved during Presidential election years unless there is some pressing local issue to be voted on.

What you speak of is what happens when people will only vote the party. It will be interesting to see what happens this year as the straight party voting option has been removed from the machines.

I'm not sure why it matters considering it says "Republican" and "Democrat" by the names of candidates...

I can't imagine someone going "hm... There is no straight ticket Republican... I might pick Mostly republicans And a random democrat if they have a pretty name"

Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Early voting is at the Women's Club in Kings Mountain(next to the city museum).

Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Here is another way to look at the Tillis vs Hagan race.

• In 2008, NC voted blue. Obama, Perdue, Hagan swept into office.
  • In 2012 NC flipped back to red. Obama lost NC, Perdue gone & Democrats lost the Governor's position. This despite the Democrats holding the DNC in Charlotte.
So the observation I have is this.

• Kay Hagan has to beat Obama's relative turnout in 2012
  • Tillis only has to match the relative turnout that voted for Mitt Romney.
So it seems, that despite the close polls, Tillis might still pull this off. Mitt Romney wasn't a particularly high standard but enough Jessiecrats flipped back to the GOP to win him this state.

If Tillis loses, it will be interesting to see how large the Libertarian vote has become. Generally they take votes from the GOP. If Hagan loses, I see this as a sign that in 2016 that NC will vote Red again. (Though I don't think we will ever see a day where NC will vote for a Clinton.)

Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
Quote:
If Tillis loses, it will be interesting to see how large the Libertarian vote has become. Generally they take votes from the GOP.
Libertarians commonly get just a little above 2% (the threshold needed to remain an organized political party in NC). The Libertarian got 3.5% during the Dole-Hagan race, which even then indicated to me that a significant number of voters decided to express their disgust with the very negative campaign that had been playing out between the major parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina