Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 14,013 times

Advertisements

What's REALLY behind the debate about the Confederate Flag?

All this talk about "Heritage" doesn't ring true when folks discount the issue of slavery and all the terrorism and savagery that kept it in place.

Perhaps it's more that the Confederacy never died?
The Confederacy is still very much alive. It was never dismantled after the Civil War.

How would we feel if Nazi Germany INSISTED on continuing to fly that bloody swastika?

Perhaps the bigger questions are:

1. ) Can people ever fully let go of their pride of white supremacy?
2.) Can people have a larger concept of themselves to draw their identity from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 07:43 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
The flag represents the most bloody war for Americans. No war has ever cost so many American lives.

And people are going around saying their proud their ancestors fought against tyrannical Abraham Lincoln (someone the same people oft praise). Even more hypocritical, the tyrannical Abraham Lincoln was against human slavery

It's naive to think there is no racist undertone. The flag is the symbol of racist. Skin heads and KkK for decades. People may not mean it to be racist, but for decades many racist groups have and continue to use it as such.

I agree with the swastika flag analogy. Some people probably have very, very fond dreams of being a nazi. The pride, the prosperity. But there was a dark side, even of peaceful proud Nazis had no part in it

Old 06-24-2015, 07:50 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
I have no idea why people display Confederate flags. Probably because Pa and Grandpa did, who knows?

I appreciate the irony of Walmart pulling Confederate items from their stores, since Walmarts are the most likely places to find people who purchase Confederate paraphernalia in the first place. Think they'll boycott Walmart?? Nahhh, don't think so.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
I grew up in the deep south. I saw that flag displayed a lot, even owned a wallet and a beach towel with one on it as a young adult and never really associated it with the KKK or slavery or anything; it had just somehow become a regional symbol. I took pride in being Southern the way New Yorkers take pride in where they are from. Just a human nature social thing. Then I found out the flag was actually used by the KKK and other racists and I threw away the wallet and beach towel and haven't bought anything else with it since. That's what I don't get - why others don't just say "oops - my bad". It turns out it really doesn't have much to do with our heritage anyway.
We have a quandary about heritage. Regionalism is somewhat encouraged in the US; we are proud to be "from Wisconsin, doncha know" or "Bahstun" or wherever. But when you have a dark past in your region, it is hard to know how to show respect for where you are from without showing respect for the culture it once housed. Waving that flag definitely sends the wrong message.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 AM

353 posts, read 604,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I grew up in the deep south. I saw that flag displayed a lot, even owned a wallet and a beach towel with one on it as a young adult and never really associated it with the KKK or slavery or anything; it had just somehow become a regional symbol. I took pride in being Southern the way New Yorkers take pride in where they are from. Just a human nature social thing. Then I found out the flag was actually used by the KKK and other racists and I threw away the wallet and beach towel and haven't bought anything else with it since. That's what I don't get - why others don't just say "oops - my bad". It turns out it really doesn't have much to do with our heritage anyway.
We have a quandary about heritage. Regionalism is somewhat encouraged in the US; we are proud to be "from Wisconsin, doncha know" or "Bahstun" or wherever. But when you have a dark past in your region, it is hard to know how to show respect for where you are from without showing respect for the culture it once housed. Waving that flag definitely sends the wrong message.

Good post. And maybe one reason they never exhibit that "oops - my bad" moment is because they don't want to admit they were wrong. Human nature for some, to deny our own mistakes.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM

277 posts, read 436,241 times
Moving the subject toward states rights a bit, I and many others still believe. I believe in a smaller federal government and strong state government. If you look at the true definition of a confederacy, it's a government formed of allied states (as in nation states) or parties. While that's not exactly what most want, it's not too far off. One good example of a state ustilizing its power is Colorado and the legalization of marijuana.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Moving the subject toward states rights a bit, I and many others still believe. I believe in a smaller federal government and strong state government. If you look at the true definition of a confederacy, it's a government formed of allied states (as in nation states) or parties. While that's not exactly what most want, it's not too far off. One good example of a state ustilizing its power is Colorado and the legalization of marijuana.
I have serious mixed emotions about states rights. Pot and gay marriage are examples where I think it was a good thing. It allowed more liberal states to lead the way, or potentially experiment and fail, with policies that the country may or may not be ready for or may or may not make sense. But then there are states like Kansas and Wisconsin, where it depends on which channel you watch or site you read as to whether you think they prove or disprove that tax breaks for the wealthy help the economy. I think that in WI, it is becoming pretty clear it failed because the coffers are basically empty. But I can't say that for certain. I like states as idea incubators, but I dislike the idea of the of an EU like confederacy. Certainly no state should have its own armed forces; even the dual control model of the national guard and the state defense forces some states have makes me a little nervous.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:25 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
Yeah, but Colorado doesn't want to give you the power to own another man. Big difference.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
What about the terrorism and savagery carried out under Old Glory? For example, many native americans have the same feelings about the US flag as african americans do about the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Northern Virginia. No one in this country is completely innocent...why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

White supremacist groups have also co-opted the number 88...should Dale Earnhardt. Jr. change the number on his race car because of that? Or by keeping it, does he become a de facto white supremacist?

In any case, the talk about the flag is merely a smokescreen to keep the conversation off the real topic: gun control. The flag didn't kill anyone, and controlling flags won't solve the problem. Controlling guns will.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:08 PM

459 posts, read 375,950 times
Uhhh, because its racist?? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina