Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2006, 05:33 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

Just FYI you DEFINITELY shouldn't come to NC expecting to not see many immigrants.... NC has the fastest growing illegal immigrant population in the country. Mostly in the enormous amount of construction (you'd be hard pressed to find a person who speaks english on a construction site) and many tobacco farms in the rural counties surrounding Wake (Chatham County especially). The number of immigrants between 2000-2004 moving to NC was just about equal to the number of domestic migrants from other states.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-06-2006 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
NC has the fastest growing illegal immigrant population in the country?
Really. You need to get off your computer and see what a real growing illegal population is. The fastest my A$$!!!!!
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/05/21/MNGFQIVNAF1.DTL (broken link)

To quote that article: "New immigrants are much more broadly dis*****d than previous waves. A lower percentage are going to the traditional magnet states such as California and New York. The fastest-growing destinations for new arrivals, according to demographer William Frey of the Brookings Institution, are North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, Iowa and Nebraska. "

Old 06-06-2006, 05:56 PM

And if that one isn't enough, here's another:

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclu...e.html?id=2983

to quote: "During the 1990s, North Carolina had the fastest growing Hispanic population of any state in the nation, growing from 76,726 in 1990 to 378,963 in 2000. That’s an increase of 393 percent. Four years later, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated the Hispanic population at 517,617.

Illegal immigration, primarily from Mexico, is responsible for the majority of that growth. The Washington D.C.-based Pew Hispanic Center has estimated that 300,000 people — roughly 65 percent of North Carolina’s Latino population — are illegal immigrants, based on the Census Bureau’s latest population estimates. No major Hispanic advocacy group has disputed Pew’s calculations. "

Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM

Really, you need to stop being a know it all.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:13 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
First of all the article you quoted only said a lower percentage is going to CA. What is that percentage? Who knows since these illegals don't sign in when sneaking in, the numbers are only an estimate.

Then you left out the other states, Tennessee, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, Iowa and Nebraska. What is the lower percentage divided up by 7 states.?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:18 PM

NC was first in the list, and look at the second article, do have I have to quote it again? .
Quote:
"During the 1990s, North Carolina had the fastest growing Hispanic population of any state in the nation, growing from 76,726 in 1990 to 378,963 in 2000. That’s an increase of 393 percent. Four years later, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated the Hispanic population at 517,617.

Illegal immigration, primarily from Mexico, is responsible for the majority of that growth. The Washington D.C.-based Pew Hispanic Center has estimated that 300,000 people — roughly 65 percent of North Carolina’s Latino population — are illegal immigrants, based on the Census Bureau’s latest population estimates. No major Hispanic advocacy group has disputed Pew’s calculations.
It's not swollowing your pride to admit you were wrong one time. I promise.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-06-2006 at 06:20 PM..

Old 06-06-2006, 06:28 PM

First show me where I was wrong.
Have you ever been to CA or AZ? I see that AZ was listed 5th, do you really think NC has more illegals coming in than AZ? I think some here from AZ might have something to way about that.

The article was writted by someone from San Francisco to highlight that in his research CA now has a lower percentage of illegals coming there due to a dispersal of illegals into 7 other states. The percentage is the unknown. Is it 80% now instead of 82% before? What is it?

Old 06-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
NC was first in the list, and look at the second article, do have I have to quote it again? . It's not swollowing your pride to admit you were wrong one time. I promise.
You are quoting stuff that is deemed accurate because “No major Hispanic advocacy group has disputed Pew’s calculations”. Are you kidding me?
The other one is the best. 76k in 1990 to 379k in 2000. Is this suppose to impress me? The CA border patrol apprehends 3 times that many each year and that is a fraction of the amount that gets in.

Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofelover
I know personally my husband and I are thinking of moving to NC because we just get sick and tired of working ourselves to the bone to just scrape by on an income that in some area's of the country it would be consider well off. My husband is a Truck driver by trade and I was with him last summer and saw a lot of the country and one of the areas I liked most was NC. I like TN,PA, Upstate NY and few other's that I can't think of off the top of my head. We currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area. We pay 1200/month for rent on a old run down house on the main drive through town it is going to be tore down for a new housing development of homes that will sell for 600 K+ that is the only reason our rent is so low yes you may laugh at that but for this area that is low. Directly across the street homes were built and are selling rapidly for 700 K+ and these home set on top of each other and there is no backyard or front yard to speak of. In about 1 maybe 2 years will have to move out and are faced with rent prices from 1500 to 2000 a month and are seriously considering leaving. We live in a beautiful area and can drive to the beach in about 30 minutes but the cost of living here has just become suffocating. We already have a good life otherwise we have a great marriage a wonderful daughter we just need a breather financially. So that would be my personal reason for moving there.

... are you from Long Island or Jersey too?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:34 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
One thing I will say about the second article is that NC is concerned about this invasion. That is a positive thing. In CA it has been ignored for over 30 years and believe me it is way beyond critical mass now.
Well I *really* didn't want to go down this road but since we are on the subject. The whole imigration thing is a double edge sword particularly in NC from what I've seen in my limited time. Someone made a comment about seeing nothing but Mexican construction workers building these homes. That was the exact experience my wife and I had as we toured new developments all over Charlotte. Clearly the developers *are* bringing in the migrant workers. In fact I definitely know that many companies go to Mexico, stir up the hopes among Mexicans of finding "great jobs if you can make it over the border, and into this state, and into this city...". So technically their corporate hands are clean in that they don't "bring" over illegals, but definitely encourages it. Now the other edge of the sword is the huge permit fees, development fees, etc. the cities and towns get from the developers. It's money $$$ and always been about that. So what's the answer? Crack down on businesses that encourage and hire illegals?

If there's any hope for change, it has to be an avalanche of concerned citizens flexing their voting power and making it known to their local and federal reps. that the laws have to be enforced. I WANT imigrants, but I want the ones that follow the rules to get in to come in. Incidentally I don't blame illegal mexican immigrants (because that who we are all talking about) who simply are responding to someone all but telling them to jump the fence. If you are a business that gets a govt contract for $50/hr and you can falsely document you are paying a worker $20/hr, but in reality only pay them $9/hr, and get away with it time and time again- the problem will only get worse (incidentally the hourly rates and some of the recruiting tatics were from someone who used to recruit for a major company in MA who was terminated and decided to blow the whistle.

Oh well I was trying to stay off this topic but...well you know

Last edited by Miker2069; 06-06-2006 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina