Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 PM

41 posts, read 106,055 times

Advertisements

we did it..from long island too...you'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 10:23 PM

67 posts, read 73,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncPlace2b
Love what? The move to NC?

Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 AM

107 posts, read 354,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncPlace2b
Thank god some positiveness !!

Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Thank god some positiveness !!
we're moving from hauppauge to Matthews the end of the summer. Looking forward to it.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
I don't personally think moving anywhere MAKES you happy. Changing youir enviroment can be good, but it's not like taking some magic pill. However, if you are already happy with your life, but commute 4 hours a day, have to work your butt off just to pay your mortgage and taxes, can't even downsize because there's no where to go that's cheaper than where you currently live (no where safe, anyway), are sick and tired of the traffic, congestion, overdelopment, rudeness, etc., then it seems like no brainer to me.

I already wave to my neighbors, talk to people on line, smile at people walking down the street and stay involved in my church community. I'm just looking for a place where that seems to be the norm.

NC or any other state alone would not make me happy. BUT, happy + mortgage free + friendly+ warmer climate=ecstatic.

Oh, I also look forward to saying Merry Christmas to people without getting an icy glare. Small, but significant to me.

I hope I'm doing this right. I'm new at this, but I had to answer this. I can't agree with you more. I grew up in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles and just moved to Jamestown, New York last November. We are looking at North Carolina as the winters here aren't to cold just too long. When I was in L.A. I worked 5 miles from home and it took me 30 to 45 minutes to get to work. There are so many people, everyone is pushing for space to move. I was just there a week ago visiting my kids and realized how hard it is to get anything done there. It takes so long to do and get anywhere due to traffic and lines.My husband and I earned about $75,000 a year and had nothing to show for it. It all went to morgage and household bills. I'm so glad we moved out, but I need a shorter winter. How long are the winters there?

Old 11-11-2006, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,830 times
Hey! My family is looking to relocate to NC and I am just begining to look into the possibilities and its all a bit overwhelming. I was hoping maybe someone could help me out. Im looking for an area where we can have a decent amount of land (a large yard). Im origionally from long island and I cant stand the continuous housing developments and one house on top of the next. I want my family to have room to run and play. I also want a safe area. We currently live in albany and have had both of our cars broken into and Im sick of watching over my shoulder if we go out after dark. We have a son and plan to have more children so schools are important as well. Anyway if anyone could reddomend an area for us to look into that isnt a city I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much

Old 11-11-2006, 10:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Albany..... why don't you just cross the city limits over to Colonie? it's one of the safest towns in the country isn't it? You get more for your money in upstate NY and WAY more land than in NC. The new construction developments here go up just like they do on LI.... fast, and on top of eachother.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 AM

31 posts, read 138,325 times
My husband and I have a retail/commecial flooring business in NY and he just can't do this anymore...falling apart at the seams, literally....we are headed down to N.C. for the same reasons!!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:05 AM

31 posts, read 138,325 times
Taxes are pretty high in upstate NY. Of course, compared to Long Island, I don't think there is anywhere in the country higher.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 6,830 times
Ive been to Colonie and I dont know about the statistics all I know is that its definately sketchy. I know people who grew up there and went to the school and they dont recommend them either. Its definately the kindda place I wouldnt leave my doors unlocked. I need to get out of NY too. Its time for a change. Is NC a bad idea for all that we want? We're just looking for open space, with nice people and good schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina