Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,835 times

Advertisements

Alot depends where in the Carolinas you are moving to in regards to "southern hospitality."

Treated rudely in Charlotte, Raleigh, or one of their suburbs? Dont blame it on the locals! Huge transplant areas, so you can thank your former neighbors from up north for that.

I would rather someone be nice to my face even if the didnt like me,than be up front and rude to me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I would rather someone be nice to my face even if the didnt like me,than be up front and rude to me.
Amen to that. I'd rather people keep any bad opinion they may have about me to themselves. It does me no good to be treated rudely or told off. Thankfully that never happens to me though. lol Being treated badly, I mean.

I also agree that it depends on where in NC you live and what kind of attitude you have towards others. That doesn't necessarily mean that you're rude. You just might come across as unfriendly if you don't smile, wave (yes, at strangers), speak to people, say "ma'am", "sir", "please" and "thank you". True Southerners are all for being friendly and open and having manners. It will take you a long way in being treated well and making friends.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 PM

30 posts, read 138,792 times
[quote=Carolina_native;386893]Treated rudely in Charlotte, Raleigh, or one of their suburbs? Dont blame it on the locals! Huge transplant areas, so you can thank your former neighbors from up north for that.
QUOTE]

If it was my former neighbors, I'd be complaining about northerners in the south. I'm saying it's the southerners, born and bred, who have the reputation of being backstabbers... and it is southerners who have agreed with me. BUT, my best friend down here is a southerner. So, you see, I'm not that biased. I can see the Civil War still lives on here. No one up north refers to southerners as Rebels... but must I even begin the discussion of the use of "Yankee". Sure, I've had to cool my NY Jets to even survive... however, I still prefer people being upfront and honest. That's how I learn to trust people.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,774 times
Wow, lets really make a simple issue complicated. Its not the civil war its not greed its not hate. Its the fear of having what every one is running from. All the time on here you have people say how great it is here and they are in NJ and never have been here. This is not some Utopea it is the home of some 8,780,000 tar heels yes some are from other states relocated in the past, this has been going on for 30 years, NC not a new found secret, just a big state with lots of greedy developers mostly Natives making lots of money off people leaving their heritage and family behind them up North and out West because they think its cheaper. Maybe it is, maybe its not,some one making 200,000 a year in NJ moves here and makes 100,000 a year pays less tax gets a house for 500,000 instead of 800,000. his earning potential is less cost of living close to the same as up there, even though some on here will say no way I walked up hill to school bare foot both ways through a toll booth. Then there is the run now before its to late people who come with out jobs,scared every thing will go up nothing left, not good please rethink this . Bottom line go on this site to other states Montana for example same stuff on there, people are running from their homes to other peoples homes causing the same backlash issues, they are running from, Its life its population growth. Just be who you are and dont try to be what your not. If you were born in NY or NJ in 35 Years you were still born in the NY and NJ not semi native or almost native. You wont ever be a native Tar Heel, and so what just get over it and treat people the way you want to be treated. Its like fols are upset that they werent born here. Fact is alot of the transplants move on in a couple of years because its not really heaven. Reality check ........

Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,049 times
I have to chime in here and say that while there are rude people in both the north and the south, in the north at least they let you know where you stand. I'd much rather know where I stand with someone than be strung along and made to look the fool. And yes, there is a resentment towards people from the north. It's not racism in terms of color but it's still a discrimination in terms of where you're from. It does exist. Nobody wants to be accused of being a discriminatory type of person but it does exist. You can see it on this very board. One says that it's the people from the south who are rude only to be countered that it's the people from up north who are rude. This is EVERYWHERE down here.

Second, there's a lot of great points that NC man has made. This whole thing about the cost of living being cheaper isn't what it's cracked up to be. You can get more home for your money but face facts. While New Jersey rails you on property taxes, NC rails you in other ways as well. Fact of the matter is I know a few people who actually did better financially up in New Jersey than they're doing down here (and I do know someone who's doing better down here than he did up there). Folks, NC is not the financial Utopia that you think you're running to.

To those who have said the Civil War still lives on here, they're absolutely correct. In all fairness to the wonderful NC'ers on this board, hopefully I don't get chastised too much, I cannot recommend that people from the north should move down here. People see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe. And so many people on this board are so nice that they're almost a bit timid in being upfront about the way things are down here. But what's going on here is real. Their farmland is being taken away at a rapid rate, many areas are being overdeveloped, the cost of living will be skyrocketing, their culture and heritage is being taken away. Five people can tell you what I'm telling you but as long as one person posts a success story then that's what everyone goes by. Sad part is that nobody really seems to pay much attention to the people who relocated down here who are desperate to come back up. That should be just as telling as the success stories.

Go easy on me....

Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I have to chime in here and say that while there are rude people in both the north and the south, in the north at least they let you know where you stand. I'd much rather know where I stand with someone than be strung along and made to look the fool. And yes, there is a resentment towards people from the north. It's not racism in terms of color but it's still a discrimination in terms of where you're from. It does exist. Nobody wants to be accused of being a discriminatory type of person but it does exist. You can see it on this very board. One says that it's the people from the south who are rude only to be countered that it's the people from up north who are rude. This is EVERYWHERE down here.

Second, there's a lot of great points that NC man has made. This whole thing about the cost of living being cheaper isn't what it's cracked up to be. You can get more home for your money but face facts. While New Jersey rails you on property taxes, NC rails you in other ways as well. Fact of the matter is I know a few people who actually did better financially up in New Jersey than they're doing down here (and I do know someone who's doing better down here than he did up there). Folks, NC is not the financial Utopia that you think you're running to.

To those who have said the Civil War still lives on here, they're absolutely correct. In all fairness to the wonderful NC'ers on this board, hopefully I don't get chastised too much, I cannot recommend that people from the north should move down here. People see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe. And so many people on this board are so nice that they're almost a bit timid in being upfront about the way things are down here. But what's going on here is real. Their farmland is being taken away at a rapid rate, many areas are being overdeveloped, the cost of living will be skyrocketing, their culture and heritage is being taken away. Five people can tell you what I'm telling you but as long as one person posts a success story then that's what everyone goes by. Sad part is that nobody really seems to pay much attention to the people who relocated down here who are desperate to come back up. That should be just as telling as the success stories.

Go easy on me....
Good honest Post

Old 03-21-2007, 09:23 PM

139 posts, read 360,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I have to chime in here and say that while there are rude people in both the north and the south, in the north at least they let you know where you stand. I'd much rather know where I stand with someone than be strung along and made to look the fool. And yes, there is a resentment towards people from the north. It's not racism in terms of color but it's still a discrimination in terms of where you're from. It does exist. Nobody wants to be accused of being a discriminatory type of person but it does exist. You can see it on this very board.
So what do they think of people from the West? I know here in AZ we all say 'Those darned Californian's are coming in here and driving our cost of living up and clogging up our freeways...turning Phoenix into a mini-LA' So what do the Southerners think of the westerners? It's late, my grammar is terrible, go easy on me too!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
NC Man and Brian...two very good and well thought out posts. But unfortunately..your words, as well as mine...are falling on deaf years. They are going to believe that NC is an affordable "jackpot" promiseland no matter what.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelle View Post
So what do they think of people from the West? I know here in AZ we all say 'Those darned Californian's are coming in here and driving our cost of living up and clogging up our freeways...turning Phoenix into a mini-LA' So what do the Southerners think of the westerners? It's late, my grammar is terrible, go easy on me too!
No problem on the grammer I havent spell checked a post yet, and it shows, But in response I have to say that The people from the North East tend to stand out, If you pulled your license plate from CA I might not know you were from there, but there is no hidding New Yorkers or some one from Boston or Jersey, ya dont need a license plate to Know where they are from. And let me say in their defense they do take the wrap for most of the over development and over crowding when it is also VA FL CA SC TN GA causing the issues as well.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 PM

140 posts, read 606,154 times
Ms. Charlotte -- I am relocating for the same reasons -- wouldn't it be nice to finally not be guilty of anything when you say "Merry Christmas," and to be in a community where going to Church is the norm? Have you looked at any specific areas in NC yet? I'm still searching. Well, thank you for a wonderful post. I wish us both lots of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina