Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 AM

34 posts, read 87,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
I guess you can add me to the list of those looking for "the better life" and have been thinking about the Carolinas. I'm from NY but will never refer to myself as a "Yankee" because I am a die hard Mets fan, lol. My parents live in Greenville SC (they moved there about 8 years ago). We both love Greenville but realistically I don't know if we could get good jobs there as I work in Television Production and she in Finance. With that being said we thought we would check out Atlanta and Charlotte as cities that could offer us jobs, and also provide a nice nightlife, golf for me, and shopping for her. We also like being active so places you could hike, or bike, and a nicer climate than NY were other reasons we want to move incase you were interested.
We recently went to Atlanta for New Years and we found it to be much larger, busier, and spread out than we ever imagined. To me it was a Mini NY, which was great in terms of eating great food and having things to do but the hustle and bustle and traffic was also NY! My point being that I want a busy city, but I don't know if I want to go from NY to NY Jr. While Buckhead and Virginia Highlands were very nice and upscale houses there cost the same as they do in NY. I was hoping to move South to get a better bang for the buck somewhat. I don't think it helped that my fiances wallet was pickpocket at the Lenox Mall but we are now concentrating on Charlotte. I am scheduled to visit for 2 weeks in the dog days of July. I am wondering if anyone can give me insight on Charlotte, is it as busy as Atlanta or is it calmer like Greenville? Or a combination? We are ideally looking for a place where we can buy a house at a decent price and have a bit better quality of life while having some nightlife, shopping, and sports/activities. If Charlotte is a good choice do people live in Charlotte or is it unaffordable and people live in a nearby suburb? Any insight would be helpful sorry for the long ramble.
-Doc
Come check out Asheville. If you are a medical Dr, Mission-St. Joesph Hospitals is one of the best in the country. Just my 2 cents

Shea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
I read everyone's replies regarding North Carolina, but I didn't see anything about the schools systems. I am a mom of three boys, 3, 5, and 7 and would like to move to Brevard, NC to be with family and exit the rat race that living on Long Island demands. Any help with regard to raising three active boys with the help of in-laws, would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, I am being dragged kicking and screaming by hubbie and in laws Hopefully, someone can ease my pain

Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara A. View Post
I read everyone's replies regarding North Carolina, but I didn't see anything about the schools systems. I am a mom of three boys, 3, 5, and 7 and would like to move to Brevard, NC to be with family and exit the rat race that living on Long Island demands. Any help with regard to raising three active boys with the help of in-laws, would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind, I am being dragged kicking and screaming by hubbie and in laws Hopefully, someone can ease my pain
You could certainly be dragged kicking and screaming to a whole lot worse places!!! Brevard is beautiful! If your family values a slower pace to life in scenic surroundings this is one place you would find it. Cost of living is still good too. The Brevard Music Center is famous among classical musicans - you could enjoy many fine musical experiences there. Not sure about the schools, but I believe Transylvania county does well in the ratings. Best of luck to you - this could be a whole new beginning for your family

p.s. Having grandparents around to help raise your kids can be a real gift to them.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM

29 posts, read 99,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny View Post
If we can at least get 4 or five years of peace in a semi-rural area of NC before they find us again, then we accomplished what we went there for, which is to get ahead a little those years that we'll be mortgage free and move on.

I hate to say it, but this is just the kind of mentality that most of the people moving here have. Come and get what you can while the gettin's good and leave the natives with the mess that's left behind-kind of like modern day carpetbaggers. It's getting so bad a lot of us natives even think of leaving, but this is our home.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread View Post
I hate to say it, but this is just the kind of mentality that most of the people moving here have. Come and get what you can while the gettin's good and leave the natives with the mess that's left behind-kind of like modern day carpetbaggers. It's getting so bad a lot of us natives even think of leaving, but this is our home.
Cornbread,
My wife and I will be moving to North Carolina shortly. We are leaving the Northeast behind (Connecticut). We will live the rest of our lives in North Carolina. I gonna tell everyone that I can that it's just terrible here. Maybe that'll keep em' away....If not when the line in the sand is drawn the "Carpetbaggers " gotta go !!! The integrity must be preserved. It will be done !!!
Spiritwalker

Old 01-20-2007, 09:49 AM

69 posts, read 260,406 times
Because this area is the only spot in the US that has jobs, affordable housing and acceptable weather. Except for Austin. We chose NC over Austin because there are lots of interesting places to go on long weekends.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
wow....this is the only place that has jobs, affordable housing and "acceptable" weather huh? I guess the country as a whole is screwed then.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 AM

146 posts, read 638,738 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
wow....this is the only place that has jobs, affordable housing and "acceptable" weather huh? I guess the country as a whole is screwed then.
Hey Al, dont mind I'muninformed's attempt at sarcasm, he's just homesick.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 35,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
No, it's not. But along the eastern seaboard it's one of the states, IMO, that has the most merits. Most people are leaving behind friends and family when they move and if they're moving from the NE where it's too cold or the SE where it's too hot, North Carolina fits the bill in affordablity, jobs, weather, AND proximity to those old friends and family.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPBomber View Post
No, it's not. But along the eastern seaboard it's one of the states, IMO, that has the most merits. Most people are leaving behind friends and family when they move and if they're moving from the NE where it's too cold or the SE where it's too hot, North Carolina fits the bill in affordablity, jobs, weather, AND proximity to those old friends and family.
That seems like a fairly reasonable assessment....but, that's not what he said.

Quote:
Because this area is the only spot in the US that has jobs, affordable housing and acceptable weather. Except for Austin
Austin TX and North Carolina are now the only liveable areas of the US.....that's sobering. What happens in a few years when these "last liveable" areas become overpriced and less "liveable" because everyone moves there? I guess we just become one depressed nation. At least for now, we can still be happy if we live in NC or Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina