Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 PM

4,161 posts, read 2,865,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Not sure why you all are arguing about York County.
The discussion was about Greensboro and Durham, which then became a question of whether Guilford’s larger land size gave Greensboro an edge in the battle for third. At this point York County entered the picture for reasons nonsensical considering the thread is NC cities. Now we got maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 PM

569 posts, read 342,721 times
On March 24, 2007 someone started a thread about North Carolina's largest cities. The OP is long forgotten and possibly incarcerated or deceased. Truth is, today, while York County SC is part of Charlotte's MSA, apparently, it has no bearing on this thread. It needs to be contained to NC cities only, per the OP's wishes and intent. RIP OP.

Again, York County SC is irrelevant to this thread. If SC is funneling growth to Charlotte, that's cool. But not relevant.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:34 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The discussion was about Greensboro and Durham, which then became a question of whether Guilford’s larger land size gave Greensboro an edge in the battle for third. At this point York County entered the picture for reasons nonsensical. Now with maps.
I posted a map because it appeared people needed one. Not sure why York entered into the discussion following Greensboro and Durham, but York County And South Charlotte (Ballantyne) is where lots of growth is coming from for the Charlotte region.

If a poster was being annoying or randomly inserting Charlotte into the conversation or being nonsensical, that doesn’t change how important York Co. is in the CLT metro. And a growing and healthy York County is directly relevant to Charlottes population growth.

The Triangle has a very robust set of counties. Charlottes counties are underperforming or losing population. York is possibly the only county where there is healthy growth and a robust and growing economy and wealthy suburbs. Iredell, Union and cabarrus are the only other high growth counties buts that’s only because of suburbs Directly touching Meck)

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-20-2020 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 09:40 PM

Again, York County SC is irrelevant to this thread. If SC is funneling growth to Charlotte, that's cool. But not relevant.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post

That’s literally one of the most relevant things posted within the last few pages.

In any event. I’ll leave you guys to clutch your pearls that a city in a dual state metro generally involves the mentioning of both states.

Hopefully after that audacity, you can get back to discussing Durham and Greensboro.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That’s literally one of the most relevant things posted within the last few pages.

In any event. I’ll leave you guys to clutch your pearls that a city in a dual state metro generally involves the mentioning of both states.

Hopefully after that audacity, you can get back to discussing Durham and Greensboro.
The thread was about NC cities, not NC MSA's. Last I checked, York County belonged to another state, and is irrelevant to this conversation. Charlotte (the city) is a big girl, and can stand on her own two legs. I assume. If not, it can bring back Anson County for support.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
York County, SC was mentioned in association with the raw growth numbers of Guilford and Durham counties. Still, I don't see the relevance since we're talking about growth within NC's borders but if you want to talk about how growth in York has impacted growth in the NC counties in Charlotte's metro, especially Mecklenburg, I'd say that it has somewhat detracted from it for two primary reasons. Firstly, schools; lots of families with kids have left Charlotte for Ft. Mill area schools over the past decade or so. And the second reason would be the trend of companies based in Charlotte jumping across the state line into York County (as well as Lancaster County). If not for those two issues, more companies and population would be in Mecklenburg.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:33 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,445,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
The thread was about NC cities, not NC MSA's. Last I checked, York County belonged to another state, and is irrelevant to this conversation. Charlotte (the city) is a big girl, and can stand on her own two legs. I assume. If not, it can bring back Anson County for support.

I'm trying to see what your issue is but you made your point. The post about Sc shouldn’t have been made and It was addressed so let it go. I don’t know the point of the “Anson County” comment but it was removed due to commuters not meeting the threshold to be included. It Being added back wouldn’t make any type of difference as there is no large city there that would be included in the “Top 25”. You should really do some more research before trying to use Anson as a low blow

Old 01-21-2020, 03:37 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,865,835 times
There has been an ongoing discussion that Charlotte posters will turn a non-Charlotte discussion into a Charlotte one just for ships and giggles. York County inserted into a Greensboro v Durham riff was simply the latest that I felt should be pointed out. It has, now we can move on.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
York County, SC was mentioned in association with the raw growth numbers of Guilford and Durham counties. Still, I don't see the relevance since we're talking about growth within NC's borders but if you want to talk about how growth in York has impacted growth in the NC counties in Charlotte's metro, especially Mecklenburg, I'd say that it has somewhat detracted from it for two primary reasons. Firstly, schools; lots of families with kids have left Charlotte for Ft. Mill area schools over the past decade or so. And the second reason would be the trend of companies based in Charlotte jumping across the state line into York County (as well as Lancaster County). If not for those two issues, more companies and population would be in Mecklenburg.

That's actually the reason I think it benefits Charlotte, population wise. For the very reasons you view it as a detractor. The Union County, Mecklenburg County and York County suburbs make Charlotte an overall attractive city. Corporate relocation's tout the York Co. suburbs. Especially for Ballantyne jobs (Which sits on the border of York).

Healthier metro, healthier city IMO. It's like viewing RTP as a detractor to Raleigh's growth just because it isn't within Raleigh city limits. I think a prosperous York and Union County does more for Charlotte/Meck than a weak Gaston and Lincoln County.

And I still don't understand the pearl clutching over York County being mentioned. I think Wake, Guilford, etc. are all relevant to discuss when talking about cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina