Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 10:42 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times

Advertisements

Sigh...I haven't been able to regularly check this thread...hope you're not missing me too much. Among some problems with my internet...and just being downright busy, I've got some catching up to do with this thread because it's always alot of good information. I've had a couple good job interviews...and now the very nice elderly lady who lives across the street from me, talked to her daughter (who works at BCBSNC) and she wants to see my resume now because they have a few open positions. AND my dad wants me to start thinking about starting his VoIP business down here (he's in Jersey). Hopefully...I'll have something soon. Oh, and I also decided that now would be a good time to get my wife pregnant. Do I get some sort of "knocked up my wife" bonus from the NCESC??

It's a shame about Congress going on spring break before getting unemployment squared away. Weren't they forced to stick around during Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve over healthcare reform??? That's nice...I see where their priorities are this time around. And I actually thought they approved a longer term extension in one of the many "jobs" bills (rather, one of the bills they slapped "jobs" on the beginning of it because that's what the American people want to see...even if it has very little to do with job creation) they passed in March. Hmmm...oh well.

I'll be eagerly anticipating a pull forward after the third week of April back to the middle of Tier 2. Fingers are crossed! Question is...would I still be held up until Congress gets it's butt in gear? The way I understand it...Congress needs to approve an extension for the unemployed going into EUC or jumping to the next tier of EUC. But...all I'm doing is pulling forward money from an existing tier that I was already drawing from (middle of Tier 2) before I went into a new benefit year. That's money I've already been approved for. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see. So stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 AM

23 posts, read 101,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
I think EB has a different phase out date, so if you have EB accessible to you (some people have EB in a prior benefit year but it is not accessible due to getting new, regular UI in the new benefit year) you should apply for it. If you've never received EB at all, I believe you would be eligible for it as long as you did not have a disqualification on your claim. I think all that would need to be done by a rep is a B1 (reopen your claim) to trigger EB.
Thanks so much jdljr! Another quirk in my claim is that I claim in NC but live in FL. A very rude employee (supurvisor) explained that FL's EB triggered off (I worked and claimed in NC but have always lived in FL) on Feb 27th so I would only be eligible for 2 weeks max. She then went on to say that "Mr. Watson" was going to be doing another monetary review to see if I have been getting too much money do to a unused sick/vacation severance pay that was received in July 2008. He thought my amount looked too high. Needless to say, I was in tears and stressed out!
I guess I need to know when to file the bankruptcy papers because there is no way to pay much back! Is there any way that you can look at my claim! I am scared to call now and get these two people! Help! Thanks.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM

18 posts, read 35,438 times
Okay, since everything changes every week I have a simple question I hope.
2nd year benefits end on April 19th and only used one week of EB in prior year so does that mean I will roll into Tier 3 & Tier 4 automatically if still have not found a job yet?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 AM

177 posts, read 304,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbb View Post
2nd year benefits end on April 19th and only used one week of EB in prior year so does that mean I will roll into Tier 3 & Tier 4 automatically if still have not found a job yet?
If congress approves an extension than I believe that you would go to tier 3 then tier 4 if ou do not qualify for extension in this new year. But right now you would run out after the deadline of 4/5. I think that unless the deadline is extended you would be done until they extend it. (I'm not sure about tier one and two if you qualify.)

*** Maybe someone else can back me up on this until Jdjlr comes back on again.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 35,438 times
JSKIN > You are correct since I just got off the phone with ESC. He said if Congress passes extension (which they probably will) and date is pass my 19th I would qualify for extension. Thanks for your help!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:47 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhamm View Post
Thanks so much jdljr! Another quirk in my claim is that I claim in NC but live in FL. A very rude employee (supurvisor) explained that FL's EB triggered off (I worked and claimed in NC but have always lived in FL) on Feb 27th so I would only be eligible for 2 weeks max. She then went on to say that "Mr. Watson" was going to be doing another monetary review to see if I have been getting too much money do to a unused sick/vacation severance pay that was received in July 2008. He thought my amount looked too high. Needless to say, I was in tears and stressed out!
I guess I need to know when to file the bankruptcy papers because there is no way to pay much back! Is there any way that you can look at my claim! I am scared to call now and get these two people! Help! Thanks.
Well, if FL has triggered off, then the rep is correct, you would be eligible for only two weeks of EB if you don't live in NC.

As far as the unused sick/vacation severance pay, it would seem you're suggesting that they'll go back to a claim in a previous benefit year that's already done and gone and audit it. If, back then, you received severance or vacation/sick leave and didn't report it then yes, you've been overpaid, as at that time you were not allowed to receive severance and UI simultaneously. And you would have been ineligible for UI for the period which the sick/vacation pay covered as well.

Hopefully they don't find anything and you'll be in the clear! Best of luck!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbb View Post
If you have unused EUC in your previous benefit year (which you may, if you haven't yet collected Tier 3 or 4), then they will pull that into your new benefit year if you don't qualify for extensions after exhausting your new round of regular UI. They will not pull forward any EB though, due to qualifying for a new round of regular UI. The pull forward should be automatic and, last I heard, they still run the pull forward programming on Tuesday evenings.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 AM

23 posts, read 101,186 times
Quote:
Well, if FL has triggered off, then the rep is correct, you would be eligible for only two weeks of EB if you don't live in NC.

As far as the unused sick/vacation severance pay, it would seem you're suggesting that they'll go back to a claim in a previous benefit year that's already done and gone and audit it. If, back then, you received severance or vacation/sick leave and didn't report it then yes, you've been overpaid, as at that time you were not allowed to receive severance and UI simultaneously. And you would have been ineligible for UI for the period which the sick/vacation pay covered as well.

Hopefully they don't find anything and you'll be in the clear! Best of luck!
Thanks for your attention. No, there was nothing that wasn't reported, I reported everything and waited 3 months after first filing for UI to start collecting- the period of time that esc deemed my severance covered. Evidently that amount was considered salary and for my second benefit year I've been getting the max amount for 13 wks. regular UI plus all of the extensions. My claim still says no active issues so hopefully I won't owe a bunch of money back! Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 AM

20 posts, read 39,399 times
I began a 2nd benefit year feb. 6, 2010 there is no eb left cause I was pulled forward into the 2nd year. my message says benefits exhausted completely as of march 23. If tier 5 was implemented how am I going to file I made the deadline april5. to qualify for the so called extension for long term if they implement. do I just keep checking the website or a letter. If it is retroactive I hhave to do this all over again call raleigh to back pay, right, this is so crazy.
Quote:
If you've exhausted Tier 4, you MAY have some remaining EB left, but whether you would be able to draw it depends on whether you began a 2nd benefit year and received regular UI and did not qualify for extensions in that new benefit year.

Also, if you exhausted your EUC but still have time left in your benefit year, you may be able to open a new benefit year now if you would qualify for more regular UI in the regular base period.

If you aren't able to collect EB and have no wages to set another regular UI claim, then you have exhausted all benefits at this point. Right now there is no Tier 5, but If they were to implement a Tier 5 down the road, they likely would make it retroactive to pay following the last date someone received Tier 4. At that point it would take manual intervention of your claim to key in back weeks, or, if your benefit year ran out before they got Tier 5 implemented, I *think* you'd have to file a new benefit year and payments may start from that point (not sure whether they can go back and pay weeks in a benefit year that has already ended).

Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused10 View Post
I began a 2nd benefit year feb. 6, 2010 there is no eb left cause I was pulled forward into the 2nd year. my message says benefits exhausted completely as of march 23. If tier 5 was implemented how am I going to file I made the deadline april5. to qualify for the so called extension for long term if they implement. do I just keep checking the website or a letter. If it is retroactive I hhave to do this all over again call raleigh to back pay, right, this is so crazy.
There are two events that are simultaneously using the term "extension". One is Tier 1, 2, 3, 4...those are "extensions". At the same time, the term "extension" is being used to describe extending the phase-out dates, likely to the end of the year. The fact that Congress is extending the phase out date has no bearing on whether they will implement a Tier 5. What they're working on now (extending the phase out date) is so that folks are able to collect what's already in place now - Tier 1, 2, 3, 4, EB - as you have already done.

By the time a Tier 5 is implemented, if at all, the EUC phase out date would be well beyond the last date you received Tier 4 or EB. And, if they made it retroactive, you may be able to elect getting Tier 5 in a lump sum (they'd make your Tier 5 eligibility date back to the week you got your last Tier 4 payment) and a rep would re-open your claim and key in the back weeks...OR...you a rep would reopen your claim and you could elect to just begin receiving it on a weekly basis and do your weekly certifications.

If you have exhausted Tier 4, EB and don't have enough wages in the base period to qualify for new, regular UI, you likely are indeed completely exhausted.

Admittedly, there are going to be folks who don't receive as much UI as some other folks did, simply because of the point at which they began receiving unemployment benefits. Those that began long ago will reap (have reaped) the most benefit, while those that are just beginning may not since they, at some point, will come upon a phase out date that will stick and not be extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina