Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbb View Post
I was in Tier 3 second benefit year and it ended. I received a fraction of full payment and have one more which looks like a added payment from Tier 3.

If I understand correctly and they are telling me this at ESC,,, I can not transition into Tier 4 unless congress passes new bill whenever that may be. Is there anywhere else I can pull from until they get this fixed since I only received 1 week of EB in 1st year which I understand can not be pulled forward. O do I just keep doing my benefit each week and when they do pass (I hope) bill I will get paid back for weeks I qualified in lump sum?
That's correct, you can't go into Tier 4 until Congress passes an extension to the program. And if you received regular UI in the 2nd benefit year, then no you can't have your EB pulled forward.

You likely won't even be able to continue certifying each week after you end your Tier 3, as there will be no open pay order on your claim to accept the certifications. This is because technically there is no money available for you to draw from so the system just leaves the last week paid without generating another pay order for the subsequent week.

I'm hoping what may happen is that if/when the Senate passes the extension, THEN the President signs it, THEN we update our systems to modify the phase out date...Raleigh may run a program to identify claims that ended their last tier and need a pay order week opened up in order to continue certifying. HOPE...but not real confident. May require reps to do manual intervention...we'll have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:34 PM

18 posts, read 35,459 times
Thanks for your help!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,093 times
Default EB Work Search

KC and others who may be interested...I printed out the EB Work Search record and brought it home so that I could relay some information off of it since some folks had questions.

Being on EB requires searching for work on at least two different days, at two different employers (minimum 4 work searches a week). One part of the sheet says: "The Employment Security Law requires claimants to actively seek work. Commission Regulation 10.25 defines the minimally acceptable work search effort as two in-person contacts with different employers on different days for each week claimed. The Regulation allows agency representatives, based upon their knowledge of the labor market and your experience and skill level, to increase or decrease the number and frequency of contacts and to approve other contact methods. Failure to meet the weekly requirements specified and documented by the agency representative or failure to present your completed work search record upon request may cause a delay or denial of benefits. In addition, repeated contacts with the same employer must be for different positions/types of work. By signing this acknowledgement you are certifying that you understand your minimum work search requirements and will comply with the weekly work search requirements documented below"

Then it says:

Weekly Work Search Requirements -

* Different Employer Contacts Required: 2 * Number of days Required to seek work: 2
*Approved Contct Method: In Person, or in a method suitable to the employer (however the employer wants to be contacted)
*Types of work: Positions best suited to the skills and capabilities you have demonstrated

And way below that on another page it says:

"You may apply for jobs by going In-Person or using Resumes through ESC Career Resource Center job listings, personal searches, the Internet, newspapers or any other resource you can find. In the course of your job search, you may encounter Blind Ads, Internet Ads or receive ESC referrals. See the EXAMPLE below on how to fill in your work search form.

*Blind Ads - Usually found in Newspapers but sometimes found on the Internet where no company name is listsed. These must be clipped from the newspaper or printed from the Internet and attached to the work search sheet.
*Internet Ads - Are to be used for specific compaines of Blind Ads as listed above. Note the web address on your work search form. Simply posting your resume on a web site is not considered an acceptable work search contact.
*ESC Referrals - Note the 7 digit Job Order Number (NCxxxxxxx) along with the employer's name.

Acceptable contact methods:
*Mail
*Email
*FAX
*In-Person
*Telephone (if required by employer)

Although this is what the EB Work Search Record states, I'd be surprised if all reps enforced it to the "T". Some may, but likely many don't.

Apparently there is a difference between the way "You may apply for jobs" and "acceptable contact methods". I guess the way they require contacting an employer is different than how you would apply for any jobs they may have.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 PM

200 posts, read 359,130 times
Sigh...so it looks like I am now one in a million (not the kind I would like to be!)...Senate did not pass the extended unemployment benefits bill AGAIN!

Senate likely to pull jobs bill - Jun. 24, 2010

Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 PM

616 posts, read 1,752,973 times
Thanks!

Is this something we should have known before we go to our first ESC visit? My visit is July 1st and if this thread hadn't popped up I would have been clueless. Does the ESC point us to this information, or do we get that info on our first visit?

Just curious ... it's hard to do something a certain way if you don't know what that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
KC and others who may be interested...I printed out the EB Work Search record and brought it home so that I could relay some information off of it since some folks had questions.

Being on EB requires searching for work on at least two different days, at two different employers (minimum 4 work searches a week). One part of the sheet says: "The Employment Security Law requires claimants to actively seek work. Commission Regulation 10.25 defines the minimally acceptable work search effort as two in-person contacts with different employers on different days for each week claimed. The Regulation allows agency representatives, based upon their knowledge of the labor market and your experience and skill level, to increase or decrease the number and frequency of contacts and to approve other contact methods. Failure to meet the weekly requirements specified and documented by the agency representative or failure to present your completed work search record upon request may cause a delay or denial of benefits. In addition, repeated contacts with the same employer must be for different positions/types of work. By signing this acknowledgement you are certifying that you understand your minimum work search requirements and will comply with the weekly work search requirements documented below"

Then it says:

Weekly Work Search Requirements -

* Different Employer Contacts Required: 2 * Number of days Required to seek work: 2
*Approved Contct Method: In Person, or in a method suitable to the employer (however the employer wants to be contacted)
*Types of work: Positions best suited to the skills and capabilities you have demonstrated

And way below that on another page it says:

"You may apply for jobs by going In-Person or using Resumes through ESC Career Resource Center job listings, personal searches, the Internet, newspapers or any other resource you can find. In the course of your job search, you may encounter Blind Ads, Internet Ads or receive ESC referrals. See the EXAMPLE below on how to fill in your work search form.

*Blind Ads - Usually found in Newspapers but sometimes found on the Internet where no company name is listsed. These must be clipped from the newspaper or printed from the Internet and attached to the work search sheet.
*Internet Ads - Are to be used for specific compaines of Blind Ads as listed above. Note the web address on your work search form. Simply posting your resume on a web site is not considered an acceptable work search contact.
*ESC Referrals - Note the 7 digit Job Order Number (NCxxxxxxx) along with the employer's name.

Acceptable contact methods:
*Mail
*Email
*FAX
*In-Person
*Telephone (if required by employer)

Although this is what the EB Work Search Record states, I'd be surprised if all reps enforced it to the "T". Some may, but likely many don't.

Apparently there is a difference between the way "You may apply for jobs" and "acceptable contact methods". I guess the way they require contacting an employer is different than how you would apply for any jobs they may have.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 13,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbb View Post
I was in Tier 3 second benefit year and it ended. I received a fraction of full payment and have one more which looks like a added payment from Tier 3.

If I understand correctly and they are telling me this at ESC,,, I can not transition into Tier 4 unless congress passes new bill whenever that may be. Is there anywhere else I can pull from until they get this fixed since I only received 1 week of EB in 1st year which I understand can not be pulled forward. O do I just keep doing my benefit each week and when they do pass (I hope) bill I will get paid back for weeks I qualified in lump sum?
I think you may be able to draw on EB if your Tier 3 that just ended was based on a second regular UI from in your second benefit year. That is, you qualified for all extensions again in the second benefit year. In which case you're eligible for EB when EUC is exhausted again.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 AM

10 posts, read 21,281 times
Good Morning All!
I am completely lost, so i'm hoping someone can help...i'm on hold with ncesc now.
My benefits ended on 6/12/10 since I didn't have any more money in my account
Benefit Year Start: 07/12/2009
Benefit Year End: 07/10/2010
Claim Status: BENEFITS EXHAUSTED

Is there anything I can do to still receive benefits?

Thanks for any help!!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 AM

776 posts, read 1,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaobella2010 View Post
Good Morning All!
I am completely lost, so i'm hoping someone can help...i'm on hold with ncesc now.
My benefits ended on 6/12/10 since I didn't have any more money in my account
Benefit Year Start: 07/12/2009
Benefit Year End: 07/10/2010
Claim Status: BENEFITS EXHAUSTED

Is there anything I can do to still receive benefits?

Thanks for any help!!
It depends where you are in the process? It sounds like you may be in EUC...possibly at the end of a tier.

If that's the case, you're not going to be able to move to the next tier without Congress extending EUC benefits. That's kind of where alot of us are at right now.

Since you're in the tail end of your first year...you may be able to ask for EB if you haven't gotten it already. You may be able to draw from that until Congress gets it's swarmy heads out of their rears and passes the extension.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 AM

193 posts, read 286,036 times
woohoo.. woke up this morning and checked my account.. i was paid for one week. (they owe me another week). I gotta call them BUT they paid me $249. I was receiving that amount my 2nd year. My 1st year was 430. Don't you get the amount you received the 1st year IF it is a pull forward????

Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 21,281 times
Thanks!!, I think she said she would reopen my claim since I am eligible for tier 2 and file tomorrow...so, i'm in the waiting game too.

It's not right to treat people like this, like we are mooching off the system. They can give billions of bail out money to companies that give lucrative bonuses but can't pass the bill for the PEOPLE. This sucks....completely nerve-racking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina