Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM

108 posts, read 370,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As long as you have a clean record shouldn't be an issue at all, if I remember correctly the statistic was 1 in 10 in Luzerne county has one. I never heard of anyone having an issue getting one.
I have a clean record... had a couple of run-ins with the law when I was in my teens for doing stupid things, but nothing serious. No felonies, no wife beating, etc. Heck, I haven't even gotten a speeding ticket in the last 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Carefully study and understand ALL PA firearm laws if you intend to carry a weapon, it will save your arse if you have an encounter with any local LEO's.

Most are barely educated on firearm laws and have to call into local DA's for clarification and again the DA's themselves are poorly educated on firearm laws..

Knowing what you can do and when you can do it to the letter of the law will protect you if there is ever any reason to have use deadly force. TRUST ME..

Otherwise welcome to PA.....

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

539 posts, read 1,069,311 times
Another thing, slightly off topic (perhaps someone knowledgeable may want to start a thread on this), is that PA seems to be finally in the process of passing the "Castle Doctrine" (similar to FL), so that someone can protect their home or car from forcible intrusion without fear of getting on the wrong side of the law. It's already gotten to a certain point, but if it does become law it won't be until at least sometime in April.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:31 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Another thing, slightly off topic (perhaps someone knowledgeable may want to start a thread on this), is that PA seems to be finally in the process of passing the "Castle Doctrine" (similar to FL), so that someone can protect their home or car from forcible intrusion without fear of getting on the wrong side of the law. It's already gotten to a certain point, but if it does become law it won't be until at least sometime in April.
A much needed clarification of the "when and How to use" part of the current laws. I for one can't wait until it passes, then it will be clearly shown what we can and can not do when needed without fear of the repercussions of the laws that are misread on a daily basis in this state.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd be careful and call each state you intend to go through with them, each one is going to have a different set of rules. I know NJ is over the top and there was some guy got 7 years for something that was completely legal here AFAIK. I beleive he had two high capacity magazines which is one thing he got arrested for.
As long as he is driving straight from FL to PA, he should be covered by the Firearm Owner Protection Act (FOPA) while traveling. To be covered, however, the guns must be locked and unloaded and you can only make necessary stops for fuel and food. Try to avoid to stay at a hotel if possible. If not possible, arrange to stay at a hotel in a gun friendly state. Also, even though FOPA protects you while traveling through Washington DC, I'd avoid it altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Wow. Reading stuff like that makes my blood boil.

When I lived in NJ, I jumped through hoops to get my pistol permit. Same thing when I moved to NYC. Glad I don't have to do that in PA. One of the first things I'll apply for is my PA carry permit which should be a piece of cake compared to the crap I had to go through with the NYPD.
Both me and my wife have them. It took us each 15 minutes from the time that we submitted the completed application to the time we walked out the door with our License to Carry Firearms. I lived in NJ too. It is nice to breathe freedom over here.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 AM

106,709 posts, read 108,913,061 times
depending which state your even coming from the laws are hard to figure out.

my wife and i have a nyc residence/hunting/target handgun permit . we have a 2nd home down the road from the route 6 range .

i called the pa state police to see if we can bring our handguns into pa to shoot. they said since pa requires no permit its fine as long as we are in legal possesion of our handguns.

sooooo we did it..

we found out later that we were not in legal possesion since our permit being a residence permit is not valid off the premises unless going hunting with a nys hunting license or to a nypd authorized range.. sooooo nypd said we are not in legal possesion once we walk out the door..

my son has his new jersey permit and he came too.

he too was in violataion since although he isnt restricted to new jersey ,he can not stop off anywhere going to and from the range so he wasnt allowed technically to sleep over by us in pa.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we found out later that we were not in legal possesion since our permit being a residence permit is not valid off the premises unless going hunting with a nys hunting license or to a nypd authorized range.. sooooo nypd said we are not in legal possesion once we walk out the door..
NYC handgun law is incredibly strict. I knew this when I was applying for my residence permit. In fact, the law is so strict that to leave the state with your handgun, you have to inform and get permission from the NYPD to do so. To sell your gun - same story. To buy a new gun requires the same painful and expensive process.

Basically, if you want to own a handgun and remain lawful anywhere in the 5 boroughs, you pretty much give up your rights to the NYPD.

As for me, I've already notified them of my intent to move out of the state and take my pistols with me.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Both me and my wife have them. It took us each 15 minutes from the time that we submitted the completed application to the time we walked out the door with our License to Carry Firearms. I lived in NJ too. It is nice to breathe freedom over here.
They issued your license to carry on the spot with no wait or background checks?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
They issued your license to carry on the spot with no wait or background checks?
In Lackawanna county, you fill out an application at the Sheriffs office, they run you thru the computer system while you wait, if clean, your out of there in 20 minutes with a laminated LTC permit.. The fee is 25 dollars, it was 35, but I do believe it was lowered last year, I renewed prior to that. LTC's are good for 5 years then have to be renewed.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,625,319 times
P.S. if you open carry, there is no LTC needed, but thats a whole other can of worms!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania