Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:24 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,013,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
I hope so. My school taxes are unbelievable now.
They'd be even more if you lived in Delaware Valley or East Stroudsburg School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 12:40 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
I like my child's school - Heights Murray Elementary in WB.

His teacher is great with the kids and he enjoys going to school and learning. My younger sibling went there and she loved all of her teachers except for one.

I think schools are what you make of them for the most part though - you get out what you put in. Are there crap teachers? Oh yes, absolutely. But on the whole, it's what the student does that matters....

Old 11-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I like my child's school - Heights Murray Elementary in WB.

His teacher is great with the kids and he enjoys going to school and learning. My younger sibling went there and she loved all of her teachers except for one.

I think schools are what you make of them for the most part though - you get out what you put in. Are there crap teachers? Oh yes, absolutely. But on the whole, it's what the student does that matters....
I agree that your attitude and that of your child's has a great deal to do w/ the school experience; but I firmly believe it also depends GREATLY on the particular teacher(s) and administration you may be dealing with. There are absolutely some "crap teachers" that can make a child miserable and effectively ruin school for a youngster. There is a reason that I homeschooled my kids when they were younger. I am happy overall with my kids teachers right now, but I'll tell you - if I had known homeschooling was legal and an option when I was a kid you better believe I would have begged my mom to do it.

I'm not going to go into the whole sordid story, it's in the past and the persons involved are no longer part of the school district (but I shudder to think that one particular 5th grade teacher went on to become an administrator in another school district; someone like him should never have had anything to do with kids at all...let alone be in a position of authority.)

Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I agree that your attitude and that of your child's has a great deal to do w/ the school experience; but I firmly believe it also depends GREATLY on the particular teacher(s) and administration you may be dealing with. There are absolutely some "crap teachers" that can make a child miserable and effectively ruin school for a youngster. There is a reason that I homeschooled my kids when they were younger. I am happy overall with my kids teachers right now, but I'll tell you - if I had known homeschooling was legal and an option when I was a kid you better believe I would have begged my mom to do it.

I'm not going to go into the whole sordid story, it's in the past and the persons involved are no longer part of the school district (but I shudder to think that one particular 5th grade teacher went on to become an administrator in another school district; someone like him should never have had anything to do with kids at all...let alone be in a position of authority.)

I completely agree with you. Teachers can ruin education for kids. That is why their positions are so important and they should be treated as such.

I was just making the point of garbage in, garbage out, you know?

There is one teacher at my child's school which I would never allow to teach my child. I would literally move to a different school rather than allow her access to my child.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:03 PM

232 posts, read 613,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Hey dude, in grown-up land you get what you pay for...be happy!
Well dude, if I had kids and saw some benefit of them attending a good school system, I might look at it a little differently. In my situation, it's another payment with no direct benefit.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,905,692 times
I am always amazed at the High School participation in Football around here. All the Schools really get into going to the games and rooting for their kids.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well dude, if I had kids and saw some benefit of them attending a good school system, I might look at it a little differently. In my situation, it's another payment with no direct benefit.
You benefit from an educated populace. The education of children benefits all of us; they are the ones who grow up and become our doctors, attorneys, mechanics, teachers, nurses...

Old 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,961,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
You benefit from an educated populace. The education of children benefits all of us; they are the ones who grow up and become our doctors, attorneys, mechanics, teachers, nurses...
ty.... I am not sure why people who have no children or no longer have children, are so distrubed by paying taxes for schools. We have a very short memory as a nation I guess.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM

232 posts, read 613,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
ty.... I am not sure why people who have no children or no longer have children, are so distrubed by paying taxes for schools. We have a very short memory as a nation I guess.
Not disturbed, jut don't see the same direct benefit as those with kids in school. Don't know what the "short memory as a nation" means??

BTW, my original post was referencing that I think with the amount of $$ I pay in scholl taxes, the district should be rated well. Never said there weren't benefits from it...........

Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Not disturbed, jut don't see the same direct benefit as those with kids in school. Don't know what the "short memory as a nation" means??

BTW, my original post was referencing that I think with the amount of $$ I pay in scholl taxes, the district should be rated well. Never said there weren't benefits from it...........
Sorry, we must have misunderstood what you meant when you said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania