Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:00 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I don't think athletes are unfairly derided; I think they are unfairly worshiped...along with most of Hollywood. (Speaking of professional athletes that is.)

We were speaking about high school athletes though.

And I would argue that professional athletes are "unfairly" worshipped. People pick their poison. No one is forcing them to like or follow football - on any level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
I don't think athletes are unfairly derided; I think they are unfairly worshiped...along with most of Hollywood. (Speaking of professional athletes that is.)
Grrr!!! It won't let me rep you for this!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:13 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
There are pockets in the nation where football is the end all and be all for schools!!! We live dead center in the middle of one. That is a fact, just as Texas is a pocket of hero football worship. There is nothing to be insecure about or defend against, it is what it is. Lacrosse is a major sport at the college level, a Native American one might I add, and a large amount of people around here, never even heard of it. Yet, most college bound athletes that are awarded free rides from Lacrosse are from the east.

My former area did have science comps. on TV and the Island produces a large # of nationally recognized Intel science winners. The greater community does set a tone as to what they value. It is not the players that place themselves upon high, it is the heroworship they receive.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 AM

232 posts, read 612,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, they are not indirect benefits if you directly benefit from it. And yes, everyone directly benefits from an educated society.

Nope.

A direct benefit would be MY children benefiting directly from the school system. Society as a whole benefiting from a good educational system would be an indirect benefit to all (including myself).

I see the point you are making that we all benefit from an educated population but I don't consider it a direct benefit to me.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
You don't know how those other states afford to do so though. They could have higher sales taxes, their lotteries could fund education (whereas our benefits seniors) etc. You pay for it one way or another - just the way you pay changes.
Delaware has NO sales tax but relies on gross receipts of Businesses...

Old 11-13-2009, 06:35 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,246 times
Believe me, it's being paid for one way or another, and eventually that cost trickles down to the proles...you and me....always

Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Delaware has NO sales tax but relies on gross receipts of Businesses...
Speaking as someone that went to Delaware schools my whole life, they are not the best. At least the ones I attended were not nearly as good as the ones my kids have attended and graduated from here in PA. Great shopping in Delaware but not so great schools, IMHO.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
I supported my parents by working nearly full time through high school. I was a major dork who wasn't popular by any stretch of the imagination. STILL, I think athletes are unfairly derided by society at large because they are in the spotlight. They don't put themselves there, ya know.

I think it's disingenious to pit the jocks against the rest of the school. Like I said it isn't THEIR fault that their activity is so popular and so many enjoy it.

When's the last time you saw professonal diversity conferences on TV? You don't. Why? Because they are not entertainment.

I was on FBLA, Key Club, Yearbook, Newspaper and I was a Flag Girl for the band. I never looked for "support from my community" in these endeavors. I did it because I liked it and I enjoyed the activities. I suspect many sports players feel the same way about their chosen sport.
It depends on the school. In my high school, the football team was worshipped and the football jocks thought their sh*t was ice cream and that everyone wanted two scoops.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Speaking as someone that went to Delaware schools my whole life, they are not the best. At least the ones I attended were not nearly as good as the ones my kids have attended and graduated from here in PA. Great shopping in Delaware but not so great schools, IMHO.
That is what we hear TBT.........I'm sure that is true. ( about DE schools)

I think my NJ schools were very good schools. Their collecting a ton of tax in NJ for these schools. So many people have to leave NJ now. ( because of high taxation)
Crazy thing is the schools are now other establishments in my old town. The police station, the municipal building, and a Senior Apartment housing.
So, I question, do too many schools get built that later are not needed?......

Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Believe me, it's being paid for one way or another, and eventually that cost trickles down to the proles...you and me....always

Yes, exactly Karen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania