Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:11 AM

47 posts, read 198,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlvr View Post
I substitute nearly everyday in select elementary schools in the Woodbridge area. Elizabeth Vaughan is a good school, Marumsco Hills is a good school, Ashland is a good school, Belmont is also a good school. Not familiar with too many more. As for Middle schools and High schools....not so sure. Prince William Co. has 89 elementary schools and a vast majority of them are considered "fully accredited", meaning their SOL pass rate is higher than 70% (I believe it's 70) so therefore, they can't be too bad. My children love their school and I have no issues at all; they are both above grade level in most areas, therefore, someone must be doing something right....
It may be worth mentioning that PWCS uses substitutes, who have only attained a high school diploma or GED. Their pay is worse than Arizona--, which usually ranks last in PP expenditures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM

204 posts, read 665,961 times
FYI, Prince William Cty schools are changing their requirements this coming fall....subs will have to have a college degree.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM

And what will the pay be? It has already been determined. City of Manassas will be paying bus drivers 16.89 to start. I was making 131.05 per day in Tucson 8 years ago.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:56 AM

204 posts, read 665,961 times
The sub pay this year in PWC is $90 per day. That was a $2 a day increase over previous year and I've heard that's the increase they do each year.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:50 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
FYI, Prince William Cty schools are changing their requirements this coming fall....subs will have to have a college degree.
teaching or just a whatever 4 year degree?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 AM

I'll bet it is a four year degree in anything. That's how it is in AZ. That's why they pay more than Virginia, even though cost of living are half.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:00 AM

523 posts, read 1,417,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Back to the original PWC question, I seem to see a ton of bad news reports about things happening in PWC. I don't know anything about the area though. On the flip side, I saw on the news yesterday that PWC was the only county in NOVA that had an increase in real estate sales. All the other counties were in the negatives.
Maybe it has something to do with the 29% decline in home prices over the past 12 months...??

MRIS Statistics

Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 PM

29 posts, read 71,165 times
My boys are at Glenkirk ES, and we've been very happy there. My oldest spent 1st and 2nd grade at Alvey, and we were then moved to Glenkirk when it opened. Great teachers, great parental involvement, etc. I haven't noticed any difference between Alvey and Glenkirk. My guess is that all of the schools at this end of the county are comparable. My oldest is headed to Gainesville Middle School this fall, and I've heard some wonderful things about that school as well.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Default Same curriculum

The schools in the area should be pretty similar. Remember, all county schools are working with the same curriculum. In fact, the VA Standards of Learning ensure that the curriculum is basically the same throughout the state.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM

21 posts, read 70,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
You said it! Bristow is simply an extension of Manassas. There are lots of foreclosures and lots of "Spanish Families." The traffic is Hell. Countryside/Cascades are way nicer for less money. Those are some lovely shades of beige, vinyl siding though.
Most "spanish families" I know are just as interested in getting a good education for their children. If you had said "black families" you would've gotten a waring from the site administrators.

I have been researching schools in Nova and found the site SchoolMatters - Home very helpful. In the end it boils down to 2 things: is the school safe and are there good teachers. In that setting, most children will do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia