Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM

73 posts, read 248,783 times

Advertisements

Where did you hear that they were changing the substitute requirements? They are still accepting applications with only high school diplomas. The increase was $2.00 in 2007-2008 but prior to that it was $3.00

Frankly, I find it hard to believe they would change the requirements as they are short of substitutes already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 30,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by at0micfly View Post
NO! PWC is very bad. I used to live and go there!!! There was always a problem with gangs and fights and drugs. The curriculm was really dumbed sown and never seemed to accomplish anything
My son attends a High School in the eastern part of the county and I seriously disagree.Programs are outstanding(he is in the I.B. program)
and he is doing very well and likes his school alot.No drug or gang problems.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:34 PM

595 posts, read 2,310,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
Where did you hear that they were changing the substitute requirements? They are still accepting applications with only high school diplomas. The increase was $2.00 in 2007-2008 but prior to that it was $3.00

Frankly, I find it hard to believe they would change the requirements as they are short of substitutes already!
I think you are correct. Anyone else care to verify this?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,871,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by at0micfly View Post
Troll?
I had to sit through the hell that was that countys education system.

Beville MS and CD Hylton are some of the worst. As is Osbourne Park. Stay away from the Potomac Mills area, or Savannah Drive area

Blue collar redneck? PLEASE!! IT IS GHETTO AS ANYTHING!!!!
There is a HUGE difference between south/east part of the county and north/west part IMO.

I wouldn't live along I95, but I'm very happy in Gainesville.

Fairfax and Loudoun are better on average, but there is nothing wrong with the schools in western Prince William.

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 07-15-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 PM

Every school has good and bad points. For example: Gar-field has a bad reputation but it is like two school in one. Kids in the IB program are great and getting a good education. You don't want to be with those kids not in the IB program
It is the same with Beville -- I think they have the IB program for middle schoolers there. Do the IB or else go to another school.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:28 PM

555 posts, read 2,705,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova4now View Post
My son attends a High School in the eastern part of the county and I seriously disagree.Programs are outstanding(he is in the I.B. program)
and he is doing very well and likes his school alot.No drug or gang problems.
"No drug or gang problems" is not accurate. I take it your kid goes to Woodbridge HS, because other than that you must have your head in the sand. Granted, there isn't many "gang members" in the AP classes (which presumably your son is in), but there sure are many gangs and a bunch of drugs to go around. And even Woodbridge has a plethora of drugs (just about any high school in the US does).

Old 07-15-2008, 04:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,901,263 times
Drugs are in EVERY HS in every city and town across America. I'll go as far and say include every middle school in there too.

If don't beleive that then you are VERY Naiive.

Certinally NOT every kid takes drugs etc... but you'd better believe they are available...esp parents prescription drugs.

Just like when we were in HS.... you knew what bathroom to avoid and what kids were the "druggies" etc...

Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM

I agree, drugs and alcohol are common problems. Your kids will be fine if they are in AP/IB classes. Kids will also self-segregate during lunch periods. IB kids eat on the 2nd floor cafeteria and others on the first (or it could be reverse, I can't remember). Have heard that Woodbridge High has a big gang problem too.

IB program for high schools are Garfield and Stonewall.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:43 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,344,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
I agree, drugs and alcohol are common problems. Your kids will be fine if they are in AP/IB classes. Kids will also self-segregate during lunch periods. IB kids eat on the 2nd floor cafeteria and others on the first (or it could be reverse, I can't remember). Have heard that Woodbridge High has a big gang problem too.

IB program for high schools are Garfield and Stonewall.
Does Forest Park have an IB program? Wouldn't it be considered the eastern part of the county? I would think it and Hylton would compare favorably to those on the western end.

Last edited by tgbwc; 07-19-2008 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 PM

21 posts, read 70,587 times
Default Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabforever View Post
My husband and I have decided to move to Prince William County. We are still divided between Bristow and Gainsville. Since I am a teacher, I want my kids to be in the best school district possible. So I am here to ask which town (Bristow or Gainsville) has the best elementary schools? Furthermore, can you please recomend schools in the area? My daughter will be entering the school system next year and I want to make sure we move close to a good school. Any input appreciated, and if there are schools I should avoid, please let me know, even if it is through a message. At this point we will pick the town with the best schools!
Thank you, Fab
Hi I just returned from a house hunting trip there and did a lot of looking into schools. schooldigger.com, schoolsmatter.com and the county websites have a lot of info about the schools. We decided on Gainesville--PWC schools (good schools there and Bristow, Nokesville, Haymarket). I spoke to people with children in the schools and they were happy. A comment from a long time resident of the area said that there wasn't much difference b/t Bristow Run, Glenkirk and Cedar Point elementary schools. Nokesville El is also very good. Manassas has some nice areas, what I didn't like about the schools is that they are HUGE-- the middle school looks like a small college. I liked the neighborhoods, but wasn't convinced by the schools. I think that generally most elementary schools are good, be sure to look at the MS and HS-- that's were more violence tends to occur. I am happy with our choice, although would have been fine with Bristow or Nokesville as well. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia