Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM

73 posts, read 248,380 times

Advertisements

Forest Park has the IT program and I don't remember what Hylton has. Osbourn Park has the BioTech program. The IT program use to be very popular and it was the only program that used a lottery system because of the number of applications but then Battlefield High School (I think) has the IT program now so I don't believe they have had to use the lottery system lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 29,879 times
Hi Fab, I have lived in Gainesville for the past 10 years and enjoy it very much, except for the traffic, which will improve will the overpass that is being built.
You mentioned that you wanted a good elementary school. My youngest is now 12, and has always been homeschooled, so I don't speak from personal experience, but her friends here went to Glenkirk Elementary, a fairly new school, and kids and parents all seemed very happy with it. It is also our voting location and my church meets there on Sundays - it has a nice feel to it. You can tell by what you see in the classrooms and on the walls that the staff there cares a lot about doing a good job. It's a fresh, cheery place.

We live in the Virginia Oaks neighborhood, and the school is maybe a 4 minute drive away. There are several other neighborhoods that are serviced by Glenkirk. If your husband will be commuting on route 66, Virginia Oaks is a great location - better than Bristow.

Welcome to Northern Virginia!

Linda McWilliams

Old 09-22-2008, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 9,711 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Everybody please calm down. No name calling.
Yac.
One guy called the other a TROLL (whatever that means to him) and nothing was said.
But when the other called him a REDNECK (an UNDEDUCATED white farm laborer) there's a problem. OH PLZ .....

Old 09-22-2008, 04:11 PM

194 posts, read 590,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTnest View Post
I agree, drugs and alcohol are common problems. Your kids will be fine if they are in AP/IB classes. Kids will also self-segregate during lunch periods. IB kids eat on the 2nd floor cafeteria and others on the first (or it could be reverse, I can't remember). Have heard that Woodbridge High has a big gang problem too.

IB program for high schools are Garfield and Stonewall.
Woodbridge HS having a gang problem? That's laughable.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
Atomic fly, too bad CD Hylton is ranked the best high school in PWC. Prince william county schools are one of the best in virginia. do your research.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilfol View Post
Atomic fly, too bad CD Hylton is ranked the best high school in PWC. Prince william county schools are one of the best in Virginia. do your research.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM

595 posts, read 2,307,600 times
Keep in mind, PWCS clearly has the worst test scores in NoVa.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:25 AM

218 posts, read 547,011 times
[CENTER]Twenty-Nine County Schools Named Schools of Excellence[/CENTER]
Superintendent of Schools Steven L. Walts has named 29 Prince William County schools (PWCS) as “Schools of Excellence” in the Division’s annual school awards program. Schools that attain this designation must demonstrate high levels of performance. A School of Excellence must be fully accredited by the state, make Adequate Yearly Progress under the No Child Left Behind Act, and achieve an overall score of 90 out of 100 points on PWCS Strategic Plan-based measures. Selection is based on performance in School Year 2007–08.

Buckland Mills, McAuliffe, and Victory Elementary Schools have earned this distinction for the first time. Mullen, Parks, Penn, and Sinclair Elementary Schools have been named Schools of Excellence for the second year, while Glenkirk, Porter, Sudley, and Vaughan are celebrating their third year of recognition.

Swans Creek Elementary is being recognized as a fourth-year award recipient; Alvey and Pattie Elementary Schools are being honored for the fifth year; Ashland, Coles, and Westridge Elementary Schools are winning their sixth award; and Antietam, Henderson, Marshall, and Montclair Elementary Schools earned their seventh School of Excellence flag.

Seven elementary schools and Brentsville District High School have won the title for the eighth year. The seven elementary schools are Bennett, Bristow Run, Lake Ridge, Mountain View, Old Bridge, Rockledge, and Springwoods.

The annual awards will be celebrated at school sites in the near future. Celebrations will recognize the contributions of the entire school community in achieving the School of Excellence designation.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,877 times
There are serious problems at Battlefield High School with the student population. They have an underground club that exists around sexual activity, drug and alcohol use. Every 3rd sexually active teen has genital herpes and all the well known STD's are rampant among the active population. Our child has become involved in this via a dating situation. It has been hell to deal with and we hope to get out of the school without a lifelong physical problem. The emotional damage is so great I just don't know what to expect. I wish all we had to be worried about was SAT scores.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
I have a problem believing this last post is even remotely close to being real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia