Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,209,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
How could anyone who has lived in Dale City for more than 30 years (like me) NOT take offense at your statement?

The person who referred to Gainesville and Bristow as being ghettos was both incorrect and ignorant.
I always find the definition of ghetto by life long NoVA residents amusing. This area is the best maintained place I have ever seen, especially for the sheer size of the population. Even "poverty" areas are decent and well kept. Crime is incredibly low, with arate lower than a lot of suburban/rural areas, let alone for an urban area. Really, if you want to find an area anyone else in the country would define as ghetto you need to go to DC or Maryland. There are no crappy schools here, just schools that haven't achieved the lofty heights of some of the superstars in the area. I'll grant some areas are notably better than others, but all things considered, it's hard to find a truly awful place to live.

Now if you want to complain about the traffic or the prices, those are legitimate gripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 03:27 PM

104 posts, read 171,302 times
I have two children in Piney Branch Elementary School and we are happy with it. It just opened last year 2012 was the first year and they seemed to have some kinks to work out but all is going well now. It is very modern and has some great teachers. This area is great for families. Glenkirk was the school that used to be associated with our neighborhood but since it has grown so much they divided it up. Bristow Run is also within 2 miles of our home and has a good reputation.

Personally I don't like New Bristow Village and areas of Woodbridge such as Dale City are questionable but it is like everywhere there are some good areas and some that are not as great but overall PWC is safe and has a good public school system.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleoShahateet View Post
I have two children in Piney Branch Elementary School and we are happy with it. It just opened last year 2012 was the first year and they seemed to have some kinks to work out but all is going well now. It is very modern and has some great teachers. This area is great for families. Glenkirk was the school that used to be associated with our neighborhood but since it has grown so much they divided it up. Bristow Run is also within 2 miles of our home and has a good reputation.

Personally I don't like New Bristow Village and areas of Woodbridge such as Dale City are questionable but it is like everywhere there are some good areas and some that are not as great but overall PWC is safe and has a good public school system.
What's with the cheap shot at New Bristow Village? I didn't know my neighborhood was dragging the rest of Bristow/Gainesville down. To each their own. I enjoy living next to a protected battlefield and attending an elementary school that opened the same year as Piney Branch and was also selected as a school of excellence.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisanfield View Post
What's with the cheap shot at New Bristow Village? I didn't know my neighborhood was dragging the rest of Bristow/Gainesville down. To each their own. I enjoy living next to a protected battlefield and attending an elementary school that opened the same year as Piney Branch and was also selected as a school of excellence.
I wouldn't call that a "cheap shot." The poster stated that they personally didn't like New Bristow Village, areas of Woodbridge and Dale City. A cheap shot is calling something ghetto (when it's not the ghetto) or making some bizarre generalization.

What I do NOT like is when a poster makes those statements and then never says why. This is a forum about living in Northern Virginia specifically. I think if you don't like a particular area, I do believe for this forum you should state what the features are that cause your dislike. There are people who come to this forum looking for information on the areas within NoVA. Just stating a dislike or a preference without any reasoning behind it's just a waste of space.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I wouldn't call that a "cheap shot." The poster stated that they personally didn't like New Bristow Village, areas of Woodbridge and Dale City. A cheap shot is calling something ghetto (when it's not the ghetto) or making some bizarre generalization.

What I do NOT like is when a poster makes those statements and then never says why. This is a forum about living in Northern Virginia specifically. I think if you don't like a particular area, I do believe for this forum you should state what the features are that cause your dislike. There are people who come to this forum looking for information on the areas within NoVA. Just stating a dislike or a preference without any reasoning behind it's just a waste of space.
To single out one neighborhood is bizarre. Are you familiar with Gainesville/Bristow? The Linton Hall corridor is like one big subdivision. Not sure how you can differentiate between them. I would love to know what is so offensive about New Bristow Village. Is it the geese? Maybe the old confederate cemetery.

As for schools, Piney Branch is almost identical to New Bristow Village's base school, T. Clay Wood. Built the same year, same building style, same SOL scores.

Also, this thread is so old that half the schools in Gainesville/Bristow weren't even built when this thread was started. Take anything you read in this thread with a grain of salt since every neighborhood has probably been rezoned, including New Bristow Village, in the past few years.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisanfield View Post
To single out one neighborhood is bizarre. Are you familiar with Gainesville/Bristow? The Linton Hall corridor is like one big subdivision. Not sure how you can differentiate between them. I would love to know what is so offensive about New Bristow Village. Is it the geese? Maybe the old confederate cemetery.

As for schools, Piney Branch is almost identical to New Bristow Village's base school, T. Clay Wood. Built the same year, same building style, same SOL scores.

Also, this thread is so old that half the schools in Gainesville/Bristow weren't even built when this thread was started. Take anything you read in this thread with a grain of salt since every neighborhood has probably been rezoned, including New Bristow Village, in the past few years.
Actually, I'm not familiar with Gainesville/Bristow at all. I live in Woodbridge and have been over there TWO times in many years. It's a LONG ride to Gainesville!!!!

You are correct, I sort of didn't realize it was one specific neighborhood. I thought it was an "area" like Dale City is within Woodbridge. But you are correct--I would also, like you, love to know what is so offensive about New Bristow Village.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM

104 posts, read 171,302 times
Sorry if I offended you and I see how this may been seen in a negative way which was not my intent. I really want to emphasize that I do not mean anything bad about New Bristow Village or Woodbridge and Dale City. I guess what I was trying to say would require a longer explanation than the comment I made. When we first started looking for our home in NO. VA. we were only considering Fairfax. We soon realized that we would be better off staying in a certain budget we began searching PW county which we decided was a better fit for us. We also fell in love with Bristow and looked at many areas and never did I feel that in any of these locations would have been a bad place to live. The style, design, size of the plots of many of the homes in New Bristow were not my personal favorite or right for my family, but are very nice homes.

PW county is a great place to live and you are correct that T.Clay Wood is a great school as well as many of them in PW county. The schools in Fairfax and PW County were one of the main reasons we moved back to the US. PW County is huge as ChristineVA has said. Many people living in Bristow area can as easily go to Centreville area as to Woodbridge. In general, Northern VA is a diverse, professional and great place to live so mea culpa to those I may have offended!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia