Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 217,353 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Warrenton, Virginia. From the other blogs it sounds like Warrenton is a very family-friendly town. We now live in southern Maryland and in a small much like Warrenton. My question is, is Warrenton a racist town? I saw the blog about "Is Warrenton, VA a family town?" and I saw someone mention something about Mexican families. The only reason I ask is because I'm half white-half mexican and I would not want to move to a town who would only rather you be 100% white. My husband is 100% white, but our children of course have both. So I would not want them to be treated cruel because of their background. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 05:17 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
There is no such thing as a racist town, but just about every town has some racists living within it. Southern Maryland is thought of as being an area that is home to a decent number of racists. How has your experience been there? Since you're not so far away, I'd say plan a day-trip some Saturday out to Warrenton and see how it feels. Do things you might ordinarily do. Take a list along and do some grocery shopping. Stop in at the drug store and the library. Warrenton also has a Farmers Market every Saturday through mid-November. The Warrenton/Fauquier Visitors Center is open every day of the week from 9:00 to 5:00 at 33 North Calhoun Street. They should have some useful info there and answers to some of your questions. If it's an issue, there won't be any sizable number of Hispanics in the area...probably no more than a few hundred folks at best...but it might well be worth the time to just head out there and see what any and all of the folks are actually like...

Old 09-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Thanks so much for answering. You gave some great suggestions. My family and I are planning on heading out to Warrenton tomorrow. It sounds like a dream town. The area where I'm at now is much like Warrenton, but a little more diverse. I have not had too many encounters with race, but just a few bad moments. My husband on the other hand has had one incident, but it wasn't race related more like state related. We are in the military and might be here in the DC area a little longer than we expected to be. We just want a sweet, friendly, safe-small town for our children to grow in. I hate moving them so much. I want this next move to be our last for a very long time so that our children can have stability.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 29,299 times
Just read your question....I live in Warrenton, VA. Until the past few years, Warrenton was a step back in time. Major hardware stores were Rankins and Tractor Supply....local Mom and Pop shops. About 3 years ago a Wal Mart opened...huge battle in this small town of local little guy shops. This bedroom community of Washington DC is about 45 miles west....and people live here because of the country feel and views. You cross into Fauquier County...and feel like you step back. Incredible scenery, you still have open farmland, horses and cattle abound. I sent three children through the public school system in Fauquier. My youngest is a Jr. at James Madison Univ. My others are young adults on their own. We moved here 20 years ago from Fairfax County. I have loved every minute of living here....I am a Realtor...and could live anywhere in Northern Virginia....but once you have lived in this area, I have found it impossible to move back into Northern Virginia. I work there, and look forward to coming home every night--crossing over the last hill into Fauquier County--seeing the sun setting over the mountain range, and take a deep breath and remember why I love it here. If you decide to move into Fauquier County, Ritchie and Bradley Elementaries would be my first choice. Auburn Middle School would be my first choice for that age. Those schools would put you in the eastern part of the county. Race is not an issue here...you would be more than welcomed.... Good luck....

Last edited by Yac; 10-01-2007 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: real

Old 10-07-2007, 06:08 PM

40 posts, read 366,015 times
I grew up in Warrenton and attended the public schools-went on to college in new england. I have to say that is was a great place to grow up. I now live in the NY metro area and I dream of living back in Warrenton especially for the small town feel and of course the property that we weren't on top of our neighbors. There is something special about Warrenton. Good for you I hope it works out for you.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSS View Post
We are thinking about moving to Warrenton, Virginia. From the other blogs it sounds like Warrenton is a very family-friendly town. We now live in southern Maryland and in a small much like Warrenton. My question is, is Warrenton a racist town? I saw the blog about "Is Warrenton, VA a family town?" and I saw someone mention something about Mexican families. The only reason I ask is because I'm half white-half mexican and I would not want to move to a town who would only rather you be 100% white. My husband is 100% white, but our children of course have both. So I would not want them to be treated cruel because of their background. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Warrenton is an awesome place. People in the northern Virginia area have been bombarded with illegal immigrants for awhile now and I think they may group a lot of them together as "Mexicans". It's ashame, but it is something i have noticed. You'll get racists in any town. Just remember "racists" goes both ways. There a lot of hispanic families in my community that won't associate with the white or black families, so i guess you could call them "racist" as well. They won't even give us a waive. I guess there are ignorant people in every culture.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Thank you for all the educated info. My family and I did go to Warrenton and it was a beautiful little town. I love the old historic downtown area. My husband love the road 802(Springs Road). Beautiful drive. I would move in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far from my husband's job. Not sure of the exact location just yet of the job, but might be in the Crystal City or Andrews Air Force Base. It seem to be a little far out to drive and a lot of traffic. But I agree there are not a lot of towns like Warrenton. Everyone seemed friendly. What we are going to do and if we are going to move is still up in the air. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 AM

103 posts, read 899,732 times
It is a nice town, but the traffic is ridiculous driving through. I would gives it a thumbs up. :O)

Old 03-28-2014, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,728 times
I live in Falls Church VA and I would like to move out to a small town like Warrenton VA if what most people here says it is. Falls Church is too racist a town for my taste. I am a Hispanic and I used to go to the Farmers Market there but I get too many hate looks and when women see me they clutch their handbags thinking that I am going to steal them. I have three academic degrees and I don't dress like a homeless person. Nevertheless I am Hispanic, I look Hispanic and for them I am a thief. I have stopped going to the farmers market.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiquitin View Post
I live in Falls Church VA and I would like to move out to a small town like Warrenton VA if what most people here says it is. Falls Church is too racist a town for my taste. I am a Hispanic and I used to go to the Farmers Market there but I get too many hate looks and when women see me they clutch their handbags thinking that I am going to steal them. I have three academic degrees and I don't dress like a homeless person. Nevertheless I am Hispanic, I look Hispanic and for them I am a thief. I have stopped going to the farmers market.
Oh come on. Falls Church? Falls Church has such a diverse community that I really wonder if you are not just imagining this. While Warrenton has some diversity it will be nothing like Falls Church. I'd strongly suggest you visit a Farmers Market there before making up your mind in case they all stare and clutch there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia