Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:34 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times

Advertisements

What a fail? You expect that with some 1.5 million customers down, they are all going to be brought back at once? That would be a tad unrealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Tysons seemed out , but my condo community is going strong somehow. All of sterling around the route 7 area was out earlier. Cell phone towers didn't work in Ashburn or Sterling (for Verizon). Amazon's data centers in Ashburn went down taking instragram, netflix and pinterist with them. Would have expected them to have some serious generator/backup power, but perhaps they have just enough to shut down their servers and systems gracefully. Fairfax/Loudon should light a fire under Dominion Power's ass to get underground, stable, redundant power. What incentive does a data center or web host have to operate here if we can't keep the power on?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
Out last night in Culpeper about 10, on today at noon. I'm actually 6mi south of town. My DD said a power line downed at her street, told they may not have power for 2-3 days. Most of Culpeper was/is out.
Checked my fridge and deep freezer, only lost 2 pks hot dogs and some tater tots. Everything else still frozen. Thank heavens! Now if my a/c could get fixed before Thursday. At least I got fans. Hope everyone is ok.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
After not having lost power for more than 20 seconds in 10 years it finally went down last night around 11pm. Came back about 11:30am which was a lot sooner than I expected. Yay for NOVEC. At 5am after it hadn't come back on, I went to Walmart and got a bunch of bags of ice and put them in the freezer and fridge and a cooler. Then I closed every blind in the the house so it was dark. Then cranked up my emergency radio until the sun came up and then ran that on solar. I was probably the only one disappointed in the neighborhood when it came back on so soon! All the neighbors were sitting out under a maple tree and bam, power on, everyone back inside....

Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
A large tree went through a neighbor's house here in W. Springfield. No power yet. Just dumped the ice cream.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I feel really lucky I NEVER lose power, Arlington. Unless a squirrel hits a transformer.
There were a lot of traffic lights out in Arlington this afternoon. Cones were placed in the median strips of Route 50 to prevent people from trying to cross four lanes of traffic at intersections where the lights were still out.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:17 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
got about 2 hours of sleep last night, and even then it was a light sleep. Dreamt that the power came on and I was so happy, I microwaved some chicken dumplings and watched the Nationals game on TV. Then I woke up and realized that the power was still out. It was just a dream.But now the power is back on again, it's like a dream come true!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
got about 2 hours of sleep last night, and even then it was a light sleep. Dreamt that the power came on and I was so happy, I microwaved some chicken dumplings and watched the Nationals game on TV. Then I woke up and realized that the power was still out. It was just a dream.But now the power is back on again, it's like a dream come true!
Where are you? My neighbors said they were told Wednesday when they called Dominion Power. I hope it's earlier than that.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM

61 posts, read 108,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
What a fail? You expect that with some 1.5 million customers down, they are all going to be brought back at once? That would be a tad unrealistic.
No but a fact that this never happened for past 11 years I lived in VA for more than a day+ AND a fact that damages are quite extensive (as we can see), that's a fail. I am sure everyone is working their asses off on a weekend to get electricity back. I don't recall writing anything that hints what you "assumed."

Old 06-30-2012, 07:28 PM

43 posts, read 92,463 times
Power's up in my part of Lorton. YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia