Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 01:27 PM

24 posts, read 41,049 times

Advertisements

To the self serving builders of the "stop the Bi County parkway" crowd:

How could a commute from Gainesville to Dulles possibly be worse with a limited access highway than using the two lane rural roads loaded with clquarry and construction trucks?

The state Delegate for PWCO was completely wrong on this one and let the builders contributing to his campaign cloud his good judgement of the greater good.

Last edited by terribletraffic; 10-05-2016 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:54 PM

154 posts, read 375,592 times
terribletraffic - you are of course correct on your assessment of the situation. The more things change the more they stay the same. Thanks to the development in the RT50 corridor, traffic on RT28 is exactly the same as I remember it back in the late 1980s when it was a two lane road with stop lights.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:34 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,522,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletraffic View Post
The traffic is insane, it commonly takes 30 -45 min to go 13 miles up to dulles either on 606 or 50 to 28.
The negligance of Loudoun, Fairfax, Toll Brothers, and Vdot is borderline criminal.
Who couldnt see this forthe last 10 years. There might be a few years of improved traffic on the new road before it is back over capacity like rt 7.
Almost makes u want another recession to cut back traffic...
Sure is brutal to goto work these days.
Quote:
To the self serving builders of the "stop the Bi County parkway" crowd:

How could a commute from Gainesville to Dulles possibly be worse with a limited access highway than using the two lane rural roads loaded with clquarry and construction trucks?

The state Delegate for PWCO was completely wrong on this one and let the builders contributing to his campaign cloud his good judgement of the greater good.
I may be missing something here, but do you live in the South Riding area? Were you in the same place 4+ years ago?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I'm not sure why you focus on the 66 interchanges considering they are all likely to change with the 66 expansion next year.

Your view of walking and biking paths as a mistake is puzzling to me. I'd rather bike and walking lanes than 6 lanes of pavement. They have plans to run a new bike path behind my house and and I couldn't be happier because it is desperately needed.

VDOT is not obligated to kowtow to single occupant vehicles who often choose unreasonable commutes and refuse to carpool.
It's not puzzling to see reality vs what ought to be. Yes, in a perfect world we would all live down the street and walk or bike to work as conditions allow. 10-20 miles miles isn't an unreasonable commute, taking 40+ minutes is an unreasonable amount of time.

What is unreasonable is deducting vehicle lanes from the 78% that drive 100% of the time for the less than 1% of people who occasionally decide to bike or walk when it is nice out. The bike lanes helped you personally, and they are the trendy "green" thing to do, but they are not in the overall best use of money to help the overwhelming majority.

VDOT Kowtows to the few residents on 606, at the expense of everyone in south riding, brambelton, stone ridge and points south and west. I would think they want to do what's best for 78% of the population rather than the 1% who were short sighted enough to purchase a house that backs up to a major artery around an international airport and have an activist HOA that out comments the rest.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I may be missing something here, but do you live in the South Riding area? Were you in the same place 4+ years ago?
Yep, bi county pkwy would connect to 606 as a limited access hwy and get the through traffic off of the local roads which helps us and helps those going to points south and west of Dulles. It would be a real game changer. Loudoun primarily supported the Pkwy, Prince William did not and defeated it.

The area needs a game changer, this was the opportunity to put in a limited access hwy builders couldn't just install a traffic light on and build 4-10 houses per acre.

It would have benefited Dulles airport with highway access to the south. Anything that reduces time, reduces expense, especially for trucks delivering products and services, ultimately benefits the all citizens with lower costs and higher quality of life with less time spent in a car.

Last edited by terribletraffic; 10-11-2016 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,522,740 times
Quote:
Yep, bi county pkwy would connect to 606 as a limited access hwy and get the through traffic off of the local roads which helps us and helps those going to points south and west of Dulles. It would be a real game changer. Loudoun primarily supported the Pkwy, Prince William did not and defeated it.

The area needs a game changer, this was the opportunity to put in a limited access hwy builders couldn't just install a traffic light on and build 4-10 houses per acre.

It would have benefited Dulles airport with highway access to the south. Anything that reduces time, reduces expense, especially for trucks delivering products and services, ultimately benefits the all citizens with lower costs and higher quality of life with less time spent in a car.
You do not have to answer if yo do not wish but why not sell and move?

I cannot see traffic in that area ever getting better. I used to head out that way a lot. I even hit Sully's some back in the 90's.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 PM

It's not a commentary on my situation, so don't personalize it. The point is for anyone that wants to know how the traffic is on RT 50 from South Riding: The TRAFFIC IS TERRIBLE!!!!

The traffic is also Terrible on every other road to or from the Dulles South area.

I avoid the 28s to 50w exit where Sullys is because of the substandard merge condition of the new $100m project that did the equivalent of nothing to improve the merge and signalization.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:28 AM

15,481 posts, read 25,973,166 times
Quote:
It's not a commentary on my situation, so don't personalize it. The point is for anyone that wants to know how the traffic is on RT 50 from South Riding: The TRAFFIC IS TERRIBLE!!!!

The traffic is also Terrible on every other road to or from the Dulles South area.

I avoid the 28s to 50w exit where Sullys is because of the substandard merge condition of the new $100m project that did the equivalent of nothing to improve the merge and signalization.
What is substandard about the merge. Seems fine to me, but I'm open to different opinions.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 AM

The merge area is cut short by the light and intersection at Lee Road. The signals on RT 50 west at Lee road and Avion Pkwy are not synchronized so traffic backs up. That traffic backed up from poor signalization on the RT 50 W through lanes prevents RT 28 S traffic from merging.

The correct thing to do would be install a continuous 4th lane past Stonecroft Blvd. The RT 50 project stopped maybe 100 feet short of accomplishing this by ending the merge before the first signal, Lee road. Traffic backs up the ramp onto the through lanes of RT 28 S daily.

It is a very dangerous condition and causes RT 28 S traffic to back up north of Dulles on a daily basis. There have been countless accidents here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia