Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,293,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I'd keep 'em in the freezer and transfer to the fridge only if/when the power goes out. The fridge is basically a giant cooler with really b---'in air conditioning. Also, it'll be easier to access the food from the fridge than having to dig through the cooler.
It's probably going to be cold enough you can put your fridge items outside in an ice chest without the ice. You could then leave the frozen blocks in the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:28 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Is that really a good idea? You might want to check with the Coast Guard before attempting it. There's a big difference between a several thousand ton steel warship at sea in a storm than a wooden powerboat. I grew up on boats and would never dream of doing something like that. Your life's worth a lot more than a boat.

I decided it wasn't the best idea...not because I didn't think she could handle it, but because I wasn't sure I could handle it, LOL! Leaving her at the dock isn't an option though...it is a covered shed and a huge high tide would push her right up through the roof.

Plan B: There is a cove nearby that is somewhat protected from the full force of the Bay. I was able to borrow a huge CQR plow-type anchor and 200 feet of chain from a waterman buddy. So, she's anchored out there now with one of the generators running to power the pumps...and we have all our fingers and toes crossed that she'll be OK. I'll don a wetsuit and take a jetski out there to check on her occasionally.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,689,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Just curious...why can't you take the boat out of the water?

Boatyards that can handle that size boat (60,000+ pounds) are rather spread out. And scheduling a haulout with no notice would be like finding a case of bottled water at the supermarket about now.

Plus, a marine railway can be useless in surge conditions. The other option, Marine TraveLifts, take boats up onto land but high winds can blow them over onto their sides!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,253,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkota View Post
So I have been making blocks of ice in Tupperware containers in the freezer for a few days. Now my question is this: should I use the blocks of ice in a cooler, or transfer all the ice to the fridge in hopes that it will keep the fridge cold? I have been going back and forth about what would work best.
Ice blocks are great storm prep! I have the freezer of my spare fridge full of ice blocks and my house freezer stuffed with blocks in with the food. As soon as the power goes out I transfer several blocks to the refridge and then open the doors as infrequently as possible (adding new blocks when I remove items from the fridge). When I start getting low on blocks that is when I transfer everything to a cooler - but that won't be for several days. I also have a few ice blocks in the fridge right now.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Ice blocks are great storm prep! I have the freezer of my spare fridge full of ice blocks and my house freezer stuffed with blocks in with the food. As soon as the power goes out I transfer several blocks to the refridge and then open the doors as infrequently as possible (adding new blocks when I remove items from the fridge). When I start getting low on blocks that is when I transfer everything to a cooler - but that won't be for several days. I also have a few ice blocks in the fridge right now.
Yes, good idea. My garage freezer is empty, able to fit all into the freezer on my frig, which will be the first thing hooked up to the generator. Just did the plastic bowls, different sizes into the freezer to move up as we pull out food to grill. Wish i had done it las night so now just hope it freezes before we lose power. You can tell I'm expecting it, although would love to be the minority not losing it eventually.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 AM

45,548 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
That's certainly good news. I hope you're right and this turns out to be one of those big weather event duds.

My call now (I've been out since 0500):
Localized flooding from rain.
Continued heavy rain.
High winds (our sources are still saying 30Kn sustained, 50Kn gusts).
Loss of power due to the above.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My call now (I've been out since 0500):
Localized flooding from rain.
Continued heavy rain.
High winds (our sources are still saying 30Kn sustained, 50Kn gusts).
Loss of power due to the above.
We've not had much heavy rain yet where I am in Mount Vernon. Just a constant sprinkle.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:18 AM

45,548 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
We've not had much heavy rain yet where I am in Mount Vernon. Just a constant sprinkle.
It's coming to your street right now, it's been moderate to heavy here since shortly after daybreak.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,738,774 times
I'm not evacuating at this very moment, but if I keep guzzling coffee all day, I'll have to soon.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's coming to your street right now, it's been moderate to heavy here since shortly after daybreak.
Still not a whole lot I'm happy to say. There isn't much to speak of in the gutters. Maybe 1"? Certainly nothing like a summer thunderstorm. I think it's a lot heavier North of here. I'm sure there'll be more later when the storm hits land and radiates out to the Southwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia