Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM

518 posts, read 926,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post

I hope the police are at the polling stations as I fully expect all kinds of Repub voter suppression shenanigans.
You know they throw a dollar on the ground in the parking lot in front of a democrat. When the democrat bends over to pick it up they hit them over the head and knock them out cold and put an "I Voted" sticker on their lapel. Or they sit out in the parking lot yelling "Vote Republican" then when an unsuspecting democrat sees them, they start yelling "Vote Democrat" as the argument continues the republican starts shouting "Vote Democrat" causing the democrat to start yelling "Vote Republican." My favorite is switching the directional arrows through the school to lead democrats outside with a no re-entry sign posted on the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,200,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've voted in every election possible (lived in 3 different states, 6 different precincts) since I was old enough to veote and I have never experienced any "Repub voter suppression shenanigans". What are you talking about?
The new Voter ID rules are perfect examples of Republican Voter Suppression (*) however I, too, have never seen anything approaching voter suppression in either Maryland or Virginia since I've been voting - other than the scads of folks futilely trying to sway voters who are walking into the polls - I wonder if that convinces ANYONE at that point?

=======

(*) In fact, the Florida Republicans AND the Pennsylvania Republicans (minimally) actually joked about it - jeez - e.g.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuOT1bRYdK8

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
The new Voter ID rules are perfect examples of Republican Voter Suppression (*) however I, too, have never seen anything approaching voter suppression in either Maryland or Virginia since I've been voting - other than the scads of folks futilely trying to sway voters who are walking into the polls - I wonder if that convinces ANYONE at that point?

=======

(*) In fact, the Florida Republicans AND the Pennsylvania Republicans (minimally) actually joked about it - jeez - e.g.:
Turzai: Voter ID Will Allow Romney to Win Pa. - YouTube
I am not white, and neither is my brother. Both of us have been confronted in the past 2 elections about having to show proper ID, which by the way no photo ID is STILL needed which I needed to repeat loudly in 2008 to the crowd of people around me as the 55 year old man was questioning me for it.

It is that kind of intimidation and lying about requirements that lets me know what kind of a-holes really support the "keep the minority vote down" voice.

You say, oh well whats the big deal? Well whats the big deal with a literacy test? Whats the big deal of having to pay for an ID?

It is against the constitution THAT is the big deal. No government shall impose a financial requirement as a prerequisite for voting.

Also selecting people with differing skin color is intimidation and again NOT allowed.

You can keep your heads in the sand about it if you want, I am glad you have never experienced it, but just like the idea that just because you haven't experienced racism it doesnt exist is a stupid one, so too is this.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Two possible actions that come to mind would be: 1. Challenging every voter in heavily Democratic precincts, thus slowing down the process so voters get discouraged and go home or back to work; and 2. Handing out flyers at heavily minority polling places with dire warnings of the consequences of being prosecuted for voter fraud.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 AM

9,781 posts, read 15,814,412 times
I've always had to show my ID when I voted in Virginia. Although, I'm not sure what they'd do if I said I didn't have one. Anyone know?

When I voted on Friday here in NC, though, they did not ask for ID. I just had to sign something saying that I was who I said I was.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,200,538 times
I've never NOT tried to show my ID here in Virginia - always thought it was required! Only since the suppression efforts have I learned one does NOT have to show an ID!

Strange world.

Lol!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 AM

17,443 posts, read 16,615,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I've always had to show my ID when I voted in Virginia. Although, I'm not sure what they'd do if I said I didn't have one. Anyone know?

When I voted on Friday here in NC, though, they did not ask for ID. I just had to sign something saying that I was who I said I was.
I've always shown my ID and given my address. Never thought a thing about it.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've always shown my ID and given my address. Never thought a thing about it.
So someone walked up and down the line, pulled you out of a group of 20 people (who were all white) and said, where is your PHOTO id? You have to have a photo ID to vote (which is not true)?

Interesting if that did occur to you, please tell me I am wrong and I will kindly apologize haha

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM

17,443 posts, read 16,615,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
So someone walked up and down the line, pulled you out of a group of 20 people (who were all white) and said, where is your PHOTO id? You have to have a photo ID to vote (which is not true)?

Interesting if that did occur to you, please tell me I am wrong and I will kindly apologize haha
No. In past elections, I showed my ID upon entering the voting area - where the volunteers are. I've never been pulled out of line or seen anyone else pulled out of line and questioned...as far as I know everyone showed their ID.

I haven't yet voted in this election. Have you?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No. In past elections, I showed my ID upon entering the voting area - where the volunteers are. I've never been pulled out of line or seen anyone else pulled out of line and questioned...as far as I know everyone showed their ID.

I haven't yet voted in this election. Have you?
I am voting tomorrow, and boy I just hope they make it 3 in a row on BS laws and racial profiling! Maybe I should bring a hidden camera with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia