Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I hope the police are at the polling stations as I fully expect all kinds of Repub voter suppression shenanigans.
The only one in NoVA the police have reason to investigate so far is Congressman Jim Moran, his son, and his campaign:

Patrick Moran: Arlington Police to investigate fradulent ballot issue | WJLA.com

Using fake ID to fraudulently vote using someone else's name is quite a suppression of that person's vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've voted in every election possible (lived in 3 different states, 6 different precincts) since I was old enough to veote and I have never experienced any "Repub voter suppression shenanigans". What are you talking about?
CAVA can come back tomorrow and describe for us (hopefully with full documentation, including police report numbers) all of the rampant suppression shenanigans that he personally witnesses while standing in line.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:22 AM

206 posts, read 432,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think there used to be a provision that you didn't need ID if you were known to a poll worker but that's no longer the case. VA's ID requirement doesn't seem that onerous since a photo ID isn't required as it is now in some of the other states.
That hasn't been the case any time recently (past 4 years, at least) but it was proposed to be added into the new ID legislation. It didn't make it in, though. The types of acceptable IDs was expanded, however (e.g., concealed handgun permits).

I should note that sometimes a photo ID will be requested for certain voters. They're usually called H or HAVA voters - it means they registered by mail and didn't provide any ID at the time. The first time they come to vote, they'll need to provide an ID that either has a photo or their address on it. It's pretty rare, but it does happen.

One other thing I should point out - in Virginia, groups like "True the Vote" are not allowed inside the 40' prohibited area; only poll watchers authorized by the Republican or Democrat parties, or an independent candidate. If you see somebody from a "voter protection" organization or anything like that, you should find and notify the chief election officer at the precinct. If they don't resolve it, call the local elections office.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
The only one in NoVA the police have reason to investigate so far is Congressman Jim Moran, his son, and his campaign:

Patrick Moran: Arlington Police to investigate fradulent ballot issue | WJLA.com

Using fake ID to fraudulently vote using someone else's name is quite a suppression of that person's vote.
Ah yes the video which shows him just nodding his head and questioning the person talking... not actually doing any voter fraud or encouraging it. Why dont you tell everyone who the fake person and camera people are and their background?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
That hasn't been the case any time recently (past 4 years, at least) but it was proposed to be added into the new ID legislation. It didn't make it in, though. The types of acceptable IDs was expanded, however (e.g., concealed handgun permits).
I've lived here 22 years so perhaps it's something done away with awhile back. Either that or just my senility showing itself again.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Ah yes the video which shows him just nodding his head and questioning the person talking... not actually doing any voter fraud or encouraging it. Why dont you tell everyone who the fake person and camera people are and their background?
You forgot the part where Pat advises him to fake a utility bill, to get a computer guy to make an accurate fake, to pretend to be a pollster to verify whether the people won't be voting, and assures him that Democrat lawyers will be in the polls to advocate on behalf of the fraudulent voter.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
You forgot the part where Pat advises him to fake a utility bill, to get a computer guy to make an accurate fake, to pretend to be a pollster to verify whether the people won't be voting, and assures him that Democrat lawyers will be in the polls to advocate on behalf of the fraudulent voter.
Yikes. I haven't really been following this story but, wow, that's not good.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Yikes. I haven't really been following this story but, wow, that's not good.
How bout the throwing away of registrations from democrats by the GOP? Wanna talk about that? Or the fact that Romney's family has significant amounts of money invested in the voting machines? Or the fact that Karl Rove is being allowed within a mile of this election.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
CAVA can come back tomorrow and describe for us (hopefully with full documentation, including police report numbers) all of the rampant suppression shenanigans that he personally witnesses while standing in line.
I already voted but I'm confident there will be many others ready with cell cams in hand to capture those precious moments.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
How bout the throwing away of registrations from democrats by the GOP? Wanna talk about that? Or the fact that Romney's family has significant amounts of money invested in the voting machines? Or the fact that Karl Rove is being allowed within a mile of this election.
There are lots of things you can talk about on the politics page but this is the NoVA board and the voter fraud investigation here in NoVA involves Jim and Pat Moran, the Arlington County police, and a unanimous request by the state Electoral Board (which has members of both parties) that the state Attorney General investigate as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia