Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM

154 posts, read 373,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I am not white, and neither is my brother. Both of us have been confronted in the past 2 elections about having to show proper ID, which by the way no photo ID is STILL needed which I needed to repeat loudly in 2008 to the crowd of people around me as the 55 year old man was questioning me for it.
I think you need to be careful before making the assumption that a poll worker is racially profiling just because they asked or insisted upon a photo ID. Keep in mind the poll workers are essentially volunteers and they are only as good as their training and knowledge. I am white and I was asked by a poll worker in a recent presidential election here in VA to produce a photo ID. I displayed my my voter registration card and she still insisted I needed to show a photo ID. Now I have 30 people in line behind me getting irritated because I am arguing with a poll worker who doesn't know the law. Rather than hold things up even longer to have them hunt down an election official I showed them my drivers license (I had been waiting about 30 minutes in line myself). It was aggravating because the poll worker obviously thought she was correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
We'll look forward to a complete and well-documented report from you tomorrow evening. Which polling places will you be at to await and record these anticipated events?
I'll be at the Jones Branch location in Tysons. I hope that it is uneventful. Maybe I should give the volunteers the benefit of the doubt, but sometimes 2+2 = 4 and it sure appeared that I was singled out of a group of white people surrounding me. Even the people around me said it was messed up after I showed my ID. The point is, while I can show the ID, or say for the person that it is against the law to ask for my ID, there are lots of legal voters who might not know their own rights and that is a messed up situation created at the hands of Republicans.

Dunno what to tell you, full report will happen no matter what for my website tomorrow anyways.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
What's your website? I'll be interested in reading it.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Two possible actions that come to mind would be: 1. Challenging every voter in heavily Democratic precincts, thus slowing down the process so voters get discouraged and go home or back to work; and 2. Handing out flyers at heavily minority polling places with dire warnings of the consequences of being prosecuted for voter fraud.
Let us know when and where this happens. Provide a list of the precincts in which every voter gets challenged. And post a copy of this flyer.

Unless, of course, this is all a figment of your imagination. Maybe you can call Patrick Moran and suggest that he help you implement this at the heavily Republican precincts.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
What's your website? I'll be interested in reading it.
http://thetysonscorner.com/

Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 AM

464 posts, read 479,191 times
The line at my polling place were long by 5:45am! Good thing I got there early cause I was the first one in and first out!

They asked for a picture ID but some were seniors and they didn't have one. As long as they have their some other form of ID, they were able to vote.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen22 View Post
My guess? Everyone else showed a driver's license. I observe at the polls and 99.99% of voters show their driver's license. Some also show their voter card but virtually EVERYONE shows a driver's license when asked for an ID
I've always used my Driver's License simply because I've always thought it was required!

THIS time I think I'll be a tease and just show my (new) Voter's ID card.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
GOOD LUCK AMERICA. love you guys...no matter what you will survive and the light of your great nation will always burn bright...God speed.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
In Canada if you don't have proper ID..you can present a utility bill...proof of address.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
I got in line at 5:50, there were already about 30 people ahead of me. A poll "page" walked up and down the line reminding people that they needed to have ID; did not specifically mention photo ID. When the polls opened, there were maybe 50-60 people in line. Some were clutching their voter ID cards; because of redistricting, many of us were voting at a new location for the first time. (In fact, the guy behind me realized once inside that he was at the wrong school; he was supposed to vote a few blocks away.) I just showed the card, and that was fine. This was at Creighton's Corner ES in Brambleton (eastern Loudoun).

They have a list of acceptable ID at the door; here is a chart from the state Board of Elections listing all the possibilities. Even if you don't have ID with you, you can cast a provisional ballot; you then have until noon Friday to provide a copy of your ID (in person, fax, mail, or e-mail) to your local electoral board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia