Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,323,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen22 View Post
My guess? Everyone else showed a driver's license. I observe at the polls and 99.99% of voters show their driver's license. Some also show their voter card but virtually EVERYONE shows a driver's license when asked for an ID, just like they would if a store clerk asked for an ID, or the guy at Blockbusters, or anywhere else.

Why would the election officials be walking up and down a line of voters? Don't they sit at a table and ask for an ID so they can check in the voter list book? Do they carry those books up and down the line of voters at your polling place? Why would they do that?

Your story is rather strange.
At the end of the line (outside the polling room itself), the polling volunteer in Herndon came out every 15 minutes to ask people to form the line to the right. On one of these occurrences it happened I was singled out (as I got closer to the room) for what was not legally correct in 2008. I did not have to show any Photo ID then, and I do not have to today either.

BTW, I am happy to report, that there were absolutely 0 issues for me today in Tysons, though just as my anecdotal evidence from 2008 may not be indicative of systematic issues so too would this personal relatively uneventful election day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 08:23 AM

62 posts, read 263,708 times
@ Hayfield HS, I circled the parking for 10 minutes until I found a space at 8:25. Got out at 9:50. A much longer than usual voting. For the last 2 elections, I was done in 30 minutes arriving around 8am.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Sounds like Tysons should move to MD. When I went to vote, I thought showing my license would save time (I'm deaf) but they wouldn't even look at it. That's the place for him.
I've lived in Virginia (Fairfax specifically) my entire life. I think I am going to go ahead and stay here and be damn proud of being a virginian and continue to hold my state to higher standards than the current overlording occurring from an administration in Richmond.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
I think I agree with the person who said the people showing up to support Tim Kaine will end up voting for Obama while they're there, which may end up tipping the balance. My neighbor just came back from Lowes Island Elementary. George Allen was out front and people were ignoring him and walking right by, just like they ignore all the other people passing out flyers. She said people in line were talking about Kaine/Allen, not so much the presidential race.

There were 8-10 people out front campaigning and trying to pass out flyers. Why do those people even bother--do they really think someone is waiting to decide until the moment they walk into the front door?

The wait to vote there was about 40 minutes, she said.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM

564 posts, read 1,495,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
There were 8-10 people out front campaigning and trying to pass out flyers. Why do those people even bother--do they really think someone is waiting to decide until the moment they walk into the front door?
Do you mean Obama/Romney/whoever flyers, or the sample ballot flyers? Because I think a lot of people come uninformed about the state/local ballot questions and they want to influence those. I never take a flyer from anyone since I review all the questions/issues in advance.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,124,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
Do you mean Obama/Romney/whoever flyers, or the sample ballot flyers? Because I think a lot of people come uninformed about the state/local ballot questions and they want to influence those. I never take a flyer from anyone since I review all the questions/issues in advance.
I don't know, I'm relating a story second hand. I voted absentee because I had to go help out a family member and I wasn't sure if I'd be back in time. When I voted absentee the wait was also about 40-45 minutes, so maybe it would have been quicker to vote today (if I'd been sure I'd be able to).

BTW, I hope Virginia adopts early voting. If such a high percentage of people are voting absentee they might as well just go ahead and do early voting.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM

17,448 posts, read 16,626,469 times
I went in a little after 10AM and was done in under an hour.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM

881 posts, read 2,095,579 times
Why the continued comments that there's no early voting in VA? Here's the where, when, & how for Fairfax county: Absentee Voting*- Fairfax County, Virginia
FWIW, anyone who can vote on the appointed day should do so then - not before.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM

4,460 posts, read 8,152,801 times
Not sure if you've heard, but you can get free stuff for voting. I stopped by Chick-Fil-A and you can get a chicken biscuit if you show your "I voted" sticker. I hear Starbucks is also giving free coffee.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Not sure if you've heard, but you can get free stuff for voting. I stopped by Chick-Fil-A and you can get a chicken biscuit if you show your "I voted" sticker. I hear Starbucks is also giving free coffee.
If Chick Fil A is doing that, it is illegal.

Getting Free Stuff For Voting Is Against The Law

PS: anyone doing it from a non-religious group would also be illegal as was seen in many bars in DC. However Bars dont have the multi-hundred person legal teams that Chick Fil A does, leading me to believe if they are doing that they know full and well they are committing a federal crime and will play the "oops I didnt know" card.

Chick Fil A, a class act company

Correction:

Found the real deal, they are skirting the issue with "Chick-fil-A is celebrating what they’re calling “Cow Appreciation Day” today. While it’s not a national holiday and we don’t get off from work, to celebrate the “event” Chick-Fil-A is awarding free meals (lunch or dinner) to customers who come into one of Chick-fil-A’s participating restaurants dressed like a cow. If you wear a partial costume, they’ll give you a free entree."

Thats fine if they are doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia