Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ha. Funny you should mention Tysons Corner.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...deal-rift.html

Despite the OP's concerns in that thread, I believe the consensus was that any criminals who attempted to conduct mall "business" via the Silver Line would likely be apprehended long before they got on the train...not to mention that the area would benefit from sorely needed traffic relief.

As it is, Woodbridge already fights stereotypes about some of its own residents. Unless the would-be station is located right off Potomac Mills - and I doubt it would even be much of an issue then - I don't envision a bunch of marauding Marylanders and ne'er-do-well Washingtonians invading Woodbridge between rush hour.

there is a reason why locals refer woodbridge as "hoodridge" and manassas as..(add shole to the end of the word). who knows. with springfield mall being abandoned et all, it looks like they are going two ways with that land:
a) strip mall
b) condo/townhouses (it has great spot off 95).

as for tysons, i doubt that strip mall with staples,etc will be there much longer. i bet within a decade it'll be high rise apartments,etc. I do find it funny that for promoting tysons as some sort of high class area, they are building a wal-mart behind what was a cadillac dealership right before the toll road off route 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
First fix the core in DC, then expand to Woodbridge and Centreville.

In the mean time, pick up the pace on the VRE extension to Haymarket.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
there is a reason why locals refer woodbridge as "hoodridge" and manassas as..(add shole to the end of the word). who knows. with springfield mall being abandoned et all, it looks like they are going two ways with that land:
a) strip mall
b) condo/townhouses (it has great spot off 95).

as for tysons, i doubt that strip mall with staples,etc will be there much longer. i bet within a decade it'll be high rise apartments,etc. I do find it funny that for promoting tysons as some sort of high class area, they are building a wal-mart behind what was a cadillac dealership right before the toll road off route 7.
I'm familiar with the Woodbridge nickname although the Manassas is a new one for me.

Springfield Mall is in the process of being renovated into a "Town Center" with only the existing JCPenney's and Target anchors still open. I don't believe any housing is part of the plan although it's always possible that the surrounding apartments could get "upgraded" into condos.

RE: Tysons, I guess even upscale shoppers like a bargain, too.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The trains only run one direction - towards DC in the morning, away from DC in the evening. The trains don't run very often. The trains are more expensive than the metro. The trains only have limited endpoints, therefore is less convenient to as many workplaces - for instances you can't travel for Centerville to work in Woodbridge right now but with the expansion you could. I get that based on today's travel patterns it could be argued that not many people need that, but that's because residence choices are often made based on commuting options, so if the lines were built people would start to expand their options and the services would be used.
It would be ideal to have Metro go everywhere, but realistically people aren't willing to cough up the money for it. If you go to other cities most heavy rail or subway systems like Metro don't go everywhere. Most of the outlying area is served by real good commuter rail service. For example, the NYC subway doesn't go to Rahway, NJ (which is about the same distance from NYC as Woodbridge is from DC), but the New Jersey Transit provides commuter rail service to Penn Station in NYC every hour or so and has weekend service. Same thing with Metra in Chicago, Go Transit in Toronto, MBTA in Boston, or SEPTA in Philadelphia.

I still don't understand why this region doesn't have good commuter rail service and why they can't just expand MARC and VRE service. If the rail lines are at capacity from freight traffic, then come up with some type of public-private partnership (since they seem to be good at those when it comes to road expansion) with CSX and add a third or fourth track with enhanced train signaling to handle the extra trains. I think this would definitely cut down on a lot of the traffic (and with a lower price tag), especially going into places like Arlington, DC, and Baltimore.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
Quote:
couldnt they have done this when planning for the silver line?

no offense, but i dont want metro to go into woodbridge. last thing we want is the bad apples taking metro from down there joining up the bad apples of md/dc and invading tysons area(they wll once silver line opens up in tysons).
If that were the case, Bethesda and Upper NW would be overrun with crime.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm familiar with the Woodbridge nickname although the Manassas is a new one for me.

Springfield Mall is in the process of being renovated into a "Town Center" with only the existing JCPenney's and Target anchors still open. I don't believe any housing is part of the plan although it's always possible that the surrounding apartments could get "upgraded" into condos.

RE: Tysons, I guess even upscale shoppers like a bargain, too.
if that were true, we would have a more variety of food chains like sonic, waffle house, cracker barrel, wawas, sheetz (though they did mess up mantua long ago) and others.

as for springfield... who knows. they say its planned, but things around here change. As someone in a different website said, if its a town center itll simply be a lower end version of RTC. it wont be tysons galleria, but itll be a tysons 1 moreso.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

tysons has less than both of them as of now. wont last much longer though.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Sounds good, but VA government is too cheap to spend money on this. In the long term the gained would be big but politicians are short term thinkers.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
NIMBYs cling to stupid excuses often not based on reality to oppose progress and fear of change even if it is for the better.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
if that were true, we would have a more variety of food chains like sonic, waffle house, cracker barrel, wawas, sheetz (though they did mess up mantua long ago) and others.

as for springfield... who knows. they say its planned, but things around here change. As someone in a different website said, if its a town center itll simply be a lower end version of RTC. it wont be tysons galleria, but itll be a tysons 1 moreso.
With the possible exception of Cracker Barrel, the land leases in the Tysons area would be too expensive.

I'm not familiar with the proposed stores for the Springfield Town Center so I can't comment on that aspect of it. Tying this back into the original topic, I do believe that the presence of generally mid-scale retail at the strip malls surrounding the former mall site shows that Metro-aided crime is not a major factor. As it stands, it the walk to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station isn't totally pedestrian-friendly IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia