Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
There are plenty of Arlingtonians--including me--who would welcome that business. The opponents were a similar bunch of ignorant, emotional people for whom the word "guns" strikes in them a senseless panic--who have never bothered to look at the facts or even visit a gun store.

You would have a lot more credibility if you would just visit one yourself so you can see firsthand what it is you're so opposed to. You will be very surprised at how orderly, polite, and secure everything is.

Have you visited the Gun Dude in Falls Church? Their website almost seems to consciously cater to liberals. (Their statement on Yelp says their specialties are "First time gun buyers, females, LGBT, firearms transfers, customer service, training and community." Yeah, sounds really rednecky.)
I asked you to share the threads you started here, and the posts that you made, when the same gun store proposed to lease space in Arlington County, where you live, as just one store in a strip mall, considerably farther from any school than it is from the elementary school in McLean.

I have yet to receive a response, so I take it the answer is none. It appears that it did not really bother you, one of the most frequent posters on this forum, at the time that your neighbors didn't want that store in Arlington. But keep it in McLean, and even better move it to one of the most visible locations in town adjacent to an elementary school, and you're all over it to defend the rights of the store owners and fret about the "slippery slope" if people actually care about the types of businesses located in their communities.

If we're talking about weapons here, you could cut that hypocrisy with a knife. It's very easy to stick up for the store owners after they've already been given the cold shoulder. Can you report back after the next pilates studio, pet grooming studio, or taqueria opens up in Arlington, and let us know again how you really, truly would have preferred a polite guy selling handguns and ammo instead?

Last edited by JD984; 10-09-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:30 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
What does abortion have to do with gun violence?

Those folks that showed up from out of town at the McLean meeting are complete loonies. There's no two ways about it.
I agree with you on that one. That RV is disgusting.

Those loonies do not represent the majority of gun owners.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Name calling and generalizations; that's classy of you.
Believe me, I am completely classless.

BTW, I think you just named called me for name calling.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:19 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I asked you to share the threads you started here, and the posts that you made, when the same gun store proposed to lease space in Arlington County, where you live, as just one store in a strip mall, considerably farther from any school than it is from the elementary school in McLean.

I have yet to receive a response, so I take it the answer is none. It appears that it did not really bother you, one of the most frequent posters on this forum, at the time that your neighbors didn't want that store in Arlington. But keep it in McLean, and even better move it to one of the most visible locations in town adjacent to an elementary school, and you're all over it to defend the rights of the store owners and fret about the "slippery slope" if people actually care about the types of businesses located in their communities.

If we're talking about weapons here, you could cut that hypocrisy with a knife. It's very easy to stick up for the store owners after they've already been given the cold shoulder. Can you report back after the next pilates studio, pet grooming studio, or taqueria opens up in Arlington, and let us know again how you really, truly would have preferred a polite guy selling handguns and ammo instead?
It's clear that you're okay with a gun store 3 blocks from a school but not one block. Did you protest when the store was only 3 blocks away? Where between those two distances will calm your nerves?

Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Limiting the sale and distribution of guns where possible, and objecting to the transparent efforts to subject children to the daily sale of guns in their communities, are other appropriate areas of focus.

And the same right-wing clowns who make the argument you're making are typically among the first to object to increased funding for mental health and other social services, so that argument falls flat.

Wow. Guess I'm a right wing clown. I have been called worse though. But I've also advocated for additional mental health care and have done so since the court rulings forced mental hospitals to began releasing patients back to the communities in the 80's. A decision that I believe flew in the face of stupid.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
It's clear that you're okay with a gun store 3 blocks from a school but not one block. Did you protest when the store was only 3 blocks away? Where between those two distances will calm your nerves?
When the store was three blocks away, there were few complaints, as not many people were aware of the store's existence, it had limited exterior signage (indeed, they picked up their main placard and put it away when the store wasn't open), and sales were primarily by appointment.

http://www.genbook.com/bookings/slot...ation/30206213

You want to argue it's a distinction without a difference from the current set-up, but many states, including California, Maryland and New Hampshire, permit municipalities to ban sales of firearms within 500 or 1000 feet of school buildings. But, then, those states don't have as many legislators owned by the NRA as Virginia.

Last edited by JD984; 10-09-2015 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 11:48 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times
It looks like Nova Firearms is reopening their Falls Church shop near the old location on Broad St. It's in the old house that contained a coin shop until recently. When I passed by, the sign said something like "you asked and now we're back" but I was just passing and didn't get a good look. No info on their website or Facebook page that I see.

I'm thinking this is a second location and not a relocation of the McLean store. It also means that there will be two shops on Broad St. Including Nova and The Gun Dude.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 PM

It's another store, this time near a parochial school in Falls Church City.

After all the reassurances about what tight controls NoVa firearms would maintain to secure its inventory, they've already been burglarized once in the new McLean location. Guess they are too cheap to invest in decent theft prevention systems. But that's what you get when you're more interested in pedding firearms and free publicity than safety.

Tensions High Over a Gun Store Near an Elementary School in Fairfax After Gun Burglary | 105.9 FM and AM 630

Group Forms in F.C. to Oppose Location of New Gun Shop - Falls Church News-Press Online

Old 12-18-2015, 04:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
It's another store, this time near a parochial school in Falls Church City.

After all the reassurances about what tight controls NoVa firearms would maintain to secure its inventory, they've already been burglarized once in the new McLean location. Guess they are too cheap to invest in decent theft prevention systems. But that's what you get when you're more interested in pedding firearms and free publicity than safety.

Tensions High Over a Gun Store Near an Elementary School in Fairfax After Gun Burglary | 105.9 FM and AM 630

Group Forms in F.C. to Oppose Location of New Gun Shop - Falls Church News-Press Online

All right. Another fear mongering anti-gun you know what. And you know this for a fact that this store is doing this to only peddle firearms and free publicity?

Old 12-18-2015, 04:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
And, remember, these stores are opening/expanding because of supply & demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia