Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
If the Federal Governement would actually do something about the illegals, it would once again be a great area. Still, it is quite nice, and extremely proximate to DC. If you left a little early, you could make it in 15 minutes. You also may want to consider Buffalo Ridge, which is 22044 zip code. It has a Falls Church address, but is located in the county. Some of the lots are close to a half an acre. There is a fire station very near; so there will be some sirens.
Federal govt? How about the Fairfax County govt? Prince William did it, why cant Fairfax? That area could be prime real estate along with Seven Corners/Bailey's Crossroads but as long as nothing is done about the illegal immigrant population there things will remain status quo. Not the worst area in the DC metro but not the best either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
That PW thing has sure worked out well. In an attempt to rescue the thing, they're now on Revised Version-3, and all they've gotten out of it so far is business closings, and a net consumer inflow turned into a net consumer outflow. Well, that and program cost overruns. So far the average homeowner in PW is being hit up for an additional $260 per year, but that will be going up again as the business and revenue situations continue to deteriorate and enforcement costs continue to escalate. PW would have been better served if it had focused instead on better financing for new Hispanic business opportunities in the County...

Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That PW thing has sure worked out well. In an attempt to rescue the thing, they're now on Revised Version-3, and all they've gotten out of it so far is business closings, and a net consumer inflow turned into a net consumer outflow. Well, that and program cost overruns. So far the average homeowner in PW is being hit up for an additional $260 per year, but that will be going up again as the business and revenue situations continue to deteriorate and enforcement costs continue to escalate. PW would have been better served if it had focused instead on better financing for new Hispanic business opportunities in the County...
Guess what else it is doing for PW as well as Fairfax (and likely that Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads area.)

//www.city-data.com/forum/immig...ets-right.html

Old 08-10-2008, 01:42 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Guess what else it is doing for PW as well as Fairfax (and likely that Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads area.)
I would rather guess than put any faith in WorldNetDaily's ability to interpret a single quarter's worth of data correctly.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 AM

595 posts, read 2,308,334 times
I've heard that the number of freebie-illegitimate births has dropped dramatically at PW Hospital. I mentioned the Federal Government, because they are in violation of Federal Law. It's another case of not needing new laws, just enforcing the ones aready on the books. If you enter Malaysia illegally; you face a five thousand USD fine, up to five years in prison, and whipping.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM

402 posts, read 853,119 times
Default some cons, mostly pros

cons- older houses, slightly worse schools, slightly higher crime, no immeadiate metro access,

pros- very close to dc, columbia pike, many bus routes, future street car service, good ethnic restaurants (try peking gourmet on route 7)

if you can get a nice, reasonably priced (by dc standards), house, then it is great for commuting to dc. very vibrant area.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
I lived in Lake Barcroft 20 years ago, for just a few years. I graduated HS from JEB Stuart. I probably took it for granted at the time, but the neighborhood is exceptionally beautiful, especially in the fall, with several fantatsic lake beaches. It is a short drive into the city, barring horrible traffic, and an even shorter drive to the nearest metro stop. JEB Stuart did not have a gang culture in my day, but granted those were probably tamer times. Even then, it was a little rough at times though due to the huge mixture of races and social/financial status of the kids at that school. A few years ago, Stuart was the subject of a huge news piece for PBS or 60 minutes or something because of their highly diversified culture. It had it's pluses and minuses, but overall it was okay. I was glad to move away though and have not been back since.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM

30 posts, read 138,371 times
Default Columbia Pike Transit Initiative

I am interested in the Lake Barcroft area but indeed an issue is the public transport from the area to Washington DC (Metro Center). I need to commute at different times of the day and may return late (e.g. 9 p.m., 10 p.m.). East Falls Church, meanwhile, has insufficient parking (and a waiting list for parking).

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know good options to commute by public transport to DC (my objective is to save commuting cost)?

2) This is what I know regarding the latest info for the Columbia Pike Transit project. Any more recent news? I believe the NoVA transit authorities lost in a lawsuit related to their authority to raise taxes- does that mean that the project is off?

Streetcar Plan Has Money and Desire - washingtonpost.com

3) Also interested in hearing more opinions about Lake Barcroft & surrounding area.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM

45 posts, read 113,256 times
Default Not a walkable community

People have already seen public transportation here is not great, and I’ll second that. I (no car for 3 years in Arlington, and no problem) looked at a rental here last year. I took a bus here in the evening after work – walked forever to get to the house. Left the house to walk back to Columbia Pike and was truly scared of being hit

Not what I would consider a pedestrian friendly community. No sidewalks or lights and cars moving at a good clip. Couple of times felt like I had to dive out of the way of a car to avoid being hit. Crossing that section of Columbia Pike in the dark, bushwacking through the weeds to get to the bus stop, and waiting in the dark for a bus...
No thanks, I’ll stay in Arlington. Even if I did decide to have a car, not what I would call a walkable community.

Last edited by elbows; 08-21-2008 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: formatting messed up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: