Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:27 AM

175 posts, read 282,285 times

Advertisements

One of the things I've noticed moving from NJ to VA was the sheer amount of things in VA, whether it be statues/monuments, streets, towns, counties, schools, buildings, named for Confederates, even here in NOVA. And it bothers me. All of this crap needs to be taken down and renamed. It's a shame VA has so many things named for confederates and hardly anything named for abolitionists and civil rights activists. After all, confederate soldiers are TRAITORS to the USA; they fought to secede from the union so they could have their slavery and "states rights" which we all know what that's referring to. It's a shame that half this country (the Right) are arguing for statues and memorabilia of traitors to stay up and think its patriotic! There's a reason why there's no more statues of Nazi soldiers in Germany anymore. These people masquerade keeping confederate stuff up as "southern culture" and claim that taking it down would be "erasing history". I call BS; southern culture should no longer have racism and PEOPLE OWNING as one of its tenets and just because taking a statue down doesn't mean whatever history associated with it is forever lost. What especially bothers me is that NoVA is NORTHERN, not SOUTHERN; we speak with northeastern accents, are left-leaning, and share next to nothing in common with Southern VA, yet we still have all sorts of stuff in the area named for confederates. I love living in Virginia but this bothers me to no end. I honestly wonder what African Americans think when they see so many things named after confederates here but hardly anything named for abolitionists and black activists. The confederate memorabilia needs to come down no matter what, even if the Republicans feel uncomfortable and victimized because of it. Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 03:02 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Ok Karen.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
There's another thread for this already pretty much isn't there? I don't get how people who just moved here get off on dictating how things are done. I moved here some years ago, and rather than feeling like I should tell folks here what to do differently, I'm just going to leave.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Don't forget to ban PT cruiser too as they are a blight on society.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:28 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
don't forget that womanizer MLK an JFK. Got to rename Kennedey airport.
Go back to your liberal overcrowded state.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:30 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Jersey beckons.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
There's another thread for this already pretty much isn't there? I don't get how people who just moved here get off on dictating how things are done. I moved here some years ago, and rather than feeling like I should tell folks here what to do differently, I'm just going to leave.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Here is what is happening before our very eyes. A cautionary tale from G Orwell.

"
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

The communists come is all shapes and forms.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:42 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
One of the things I've noticed moving from NJ to VA was the sheer amount of things in VA, whether it be statues/monuments, streets, towns, counties, schools, buildings, named for Confederates, even here in NOVA. And it bothers me. All of this crap needs to be taken down and renamed. It's a shame VA has so many things named for confederates and hardly anything named for abolitionists and civil rights activists. After all, confederate soldiers are TRAITORS to the USA; they fought to secede from the union so they could have their slavery and "states rights" which we all know what that's referring to. It's a shame that half this country (the Right) are arguing for statues and memorabilia of traitors to stay up and think its patriotic! There's a reason why there's no more statues of Nazi soldiers in Germany anymore. These people masquerade keeping confederate stuff up as "southern culture" and claim that taking it down would be "erasing history". I call BS; southern culture should no longer have racism and PEOPLE OWNING as one of its tenets and just because taking a statue down doesn't mean whatever history associated with it is forever lost. What especially bothers me is that NoVA is NORTHERN, not SOUTHERN; we speak with northeastern accents, are left-leaning, and share next to nothing in common with Southern VA, yet we still have all sorts of stuff in the area named for confederates. I love living in Virginia but this bothers me to no end. I honestly wonder what African Americans think when they see so many things named after confederates here but hardly anything named for abolitionists and black activists. The confederate memorabilia needs to come down no matter what, even if the Republicans feel uncomfortable and victimized because of it. Rant over.

What's the point of starting another thread magnet for all the confederacy lovers here on CD to repeat their same old excuses?

Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 PM

175 posts, read 282,285 times
So far I've seen a lot of members supposedly finding fault with my post yet pose no reason why the confederate statues and honor in Virginia should remain. Interesting. It's easier to resort to ad-hominem and claim me being from out-of-state invalidates my opinion rather than to propose a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia