Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:54 PM

319 posts, read 199,175 times

Advertisements

Confederates were no different than Nazis. 6 million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust. 13 million Africans were murdered in U.S. slavery.

Wanting statues of Confederates is like wanting statues of Hitler.

As far as the argument that removing the statues is rewriting history, we all know that Hitler existed without there being statues of him and roads named after him. I'm pretty sure we can do without the roads, schools, and statues honoring slave traders/owners/killers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 04:27 AM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
So far I've seen a lot of members supposedly finding fault with my post yet pose no reason why the confederate statues and honor in Virginia should remain. Interesting. It's easier to resort to ad-hominem and claim me being from out-of-state invalidates my opinion rather than to propose a solution.
We generally don't get into controversial, societal posts here on the Northern Virginia board and most people visiting this particular board aren't interested in that. We get the occasional topic here and there. There's one right now on renaming some roads. There are several other sub-forums on City-Data where this topic has been beaten to death and rehashed over and over. Virginia overall seems to be heading in the direction that you desire with regard to Confederacy statues, honors, etc. I have my views on the subject but I don't generally discuss them on this subforum so it could be why you didn't get such a warm reception. We do have "regulars" here and it's odd when someone pops in as a brand new poster to the area and wants to rail against something versus what we are used to: just giving advice or trying to find out cool things about the area.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:45 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
So far I've seen a lot of members supposedly finding fault with my post yet pose no reason why the confederate statues and honor in Virginia should remain. Interesting. It's easier to resort to ad-hominem and claim me being from out-of-state invalidates my opinion rather than to propose a solution.
You being from out-of-state is a great reason.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:53 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
You're looking for a fight. Why debate in this situation?

Old 06-20-2020, 04:58 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post
Confederates were no different than Nazis. 6 million Jews were murdered in the Holocaust. 13 million Africans were murdered in U.S. slavery.

As far as the argument that removing the statues is rewriting history, we all know that Hitler existed without there being statues of him and roads named after him. I'm pretty sure we can do without the roads, schools, and statues honoring slave traders/owners/killers.

Okay. You have my attention. Where did this number come from? Per the below article only around 300,000 Africans came to the US as slaves. Not sure how you can murder 13 million here. But maybe I missed this somewhere.

https://theconversation.com/american...rom-myth-79620

Old 06-20-2020, 05:26 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
One of the things I've noticed moving from NJ to VA was the sheer amount of things in VA, whether it be statues/monuments, streets, towns, counties, schools, buildings, named for Confederates, even here in NOVA. And it bothers me. All of this crap needs to be taken down and renamed. It's a shame VA has so many things named for confederates and hardly anything named for abolitionists and civil rights activists. After all, confederate soldiers are TRAITORS to the USA; they fought to secede from the union so they could have their slavery and "states rights" which we all know what that's referring to. It's a shame that half this country (the Right) are arguing for statues and memorabilia of traitors to stay up and think its patriotic! There's a reason why there's no more statues of Nazi soldiers in Germany anymore. These people masquerade keeping confederate stuff up as "southern culture" and claim that taking it down would be "erasing history". I call BS; southern culture should no longer have racism and PEOPLE OWNING as one of its tenets and just because taking a statue down doesn't mean whatever history associated with it is forever lost. What especially bothers me is that NoVA is NORTHERN, not SOUTHERN; we speak with northeastern accents, are left-leaning, and share next to nothing in common with Southern VA, yet we still have all sorts of stuff in the area named for confederates. I love living in Virginia but this bothers me to no end. I honestly wonder what African Americans think when they see so many things named after confederates here but hardly anything named for abolitionists and black activists. The confederate memorabilia needs to come down no matter what, even if the Republicans feel uncomfortable and victimized because of it. Rant over.
How do you feel about the Washington Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial? Both owned slaves....

Old 06-20-2020, 05:28 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockruhtese View Post

I like how you are fighting racism with racism. "All white people are Nazi's!"

Old 06-20-2020, 08:55 AM

322 posts, read 275,958 times
oh this reminds me - gotta get out to Manassas battlefield to take one last photo of the Stonewall Jackson statue...if they haven't torn it down yet that is

Old 06-20-2020, 09:02 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
ummmmm, lmao. someone needs a chill pill. imagine the audacity of someone from NJ criticizing anything. don't like it, you know how to find 95 toots.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:14 AM

235 posts, read 115,293 times
OP I totally agree with your stance on this topic. And in a perfect world we wouldn’t have this stuff but we do. And even if we renamed it it still doesn’t solve the racial prejudice, economic inequality, police brutality, and race relations that blacks face everyday. Renaming might make Virginia more with the times and show blacks the respect they deserve. But we have much bigger things to get to before we can talk about stuff like this. But if you really are passionate about this act upon it. I just emailed my supervisor in Stafford County so I can be appointed to represent my district in a multiracial commission that’ll handle cases of racism, discrimination and try to make a better more friendly for blacks. I know you just want to have a civilized discussion about this subject which should be debated. But this is meant to be a place to give advice for new people and talk about things happening in NoVa. And this forum does it’s purpose best when we don’t talk about such controversial things that can get political. Politics and religion are the two things that you won’t convince somebody to change their positions in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia