Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 07:29 AM

235 posts, read 115,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Insanity is a person who has never had a slave apologizing to someone who has never been a slave. Nobody living today owes anything to anybody either. The guilt trips and history removers are just trying to control and take advantage. As far as I am concerned they owe the rest of us for taking care of their families for longer than we should have needed to.
Btw slaves were taking care of you and working white peoples’ plantations. And slavery did cause a lot of racial, and economic inequality. White people have had generations to build wealth in property but blacks people were released from slavery then Jim Crow Laws hatred them and some of those laws are still enacted today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 07:56 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Arent you the guy who wanted to get your neighbors PT Cruiser removed becuase you don't like it?

And as a black person, I don't care about removing the statues and names. They're just statues and names. If they get changed, it won't impact my life. Signaling and actually doing something like changing racist policies like redlining, helping black businesses and education, reparations. That stuff helps.

Changing a name from Leesylvania State Park to something else....that does nothing for me. You can't change history. In that case, we might as well take down the Washington and Jefferson memorials and rename Washington DC, since George Washington and Jefferson were slaveowners.
^^^^^^this mostly! Don't forget New "York". That needs to change also. The Duke of York (in which ny is named) who later became King James II of England (and James VII of Scotland), created Britain’s greatest slave empire known as the Royal African Company, which transported between 90,000 and 100,000 African slaves to the Caribbean and American colonies between 1672 and 1689. Sooooo NY needs to drop the York. My family wasn't here then, how or why would I kneel??? Imagine a Japanese girl asking your son or daughter to kneel and ask forgiveness for dropping the bomb 75 years ago.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva06 View Post
Barely anybody comes to Virginia thinking I’m gonna go visit those terrible Confederate statues. People talk about preserving history as well. Well we knocked down statues of King George and we still remember him.

How the hell did you become the VA expert on why people come to VA and what they want to see? I love Civil War history and will stop to see statues no matter where they are. Confederate or Yankees. If you are qualified as the state tourism expert then I'll apologize.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Btw slaves were taking care of you and working white peoples’ plantations. And slavery did cause a lot of racial, and economic inequality. White people have had generations to build wealth in property but blacks people were released from slavery then Jim Crow Laws hatred them and some of those laws are still enacted today.
You're just trying your best to make us all feel guilty for being born white aren't you? Guess what? Won't work. I've never owned a single slave. I know of no one who did for that matter. Why? Because it has been so many years ago that no one in this country will remember ever seeing a slave. I'm sorry slavery happened but none of us had a damn thing to do about it.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:18 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Barely anybody comes to Virginia thinking I’m gonna go visit those terrible Confederate statues. People talk about preserving history as well. Well we knocked down statues of King George and we still remember him.
People may not come to visit the statues but at least in some cases the statues mark the history people do come to see. I was not interested in Civil War history until moving to this area but when I did I researched it and visited a lot of the important landmarks because it is here.

I am not sure how erasing history will help reconcile the past.

Quote:
Say what? My family is from New York City. They have never a plantation or a slave. I also like your open racism in talking about working "white peoples' plantations" when you are from Ethiopia a country with a much longer history in slavery. It is FAR more likely that your family owned and sold slaves than my family you arrogant, condescending, snob. Your racism is not better.

I hope you run for that board you wanted to be on so we know who is saying these racist things.

Last edited by Old Guard; 06-24-2020 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 PM

235 posts, read 115,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
People may not come to visit the statues but at least in some cases the statues mark the history people do come to see. I was not interested in Civil War history until moving to this area but when I did I researched it and visited a lot of the important landmarks because it is here.

I am not sure how erasing history will help reconcile the past.

Say what? My family is from New York City. They have never a plantation or a slave. I also like your open racism in talking about working "white peoples' plantations" when you are from Ethiopia a country with a much longer history in slavery. It is FAR more likely that your family owned and sold slaves than my family you arrogant, condescending, snob. Your racism is not better.

I hope you run for that board you wanted to be on so we know who is saying these racist things.
Okay first of all I wasn’t trying to point out anybody in particular. I’m sorry if i offended you I never meant for it to get to this point. I respect your position. My ancestors have never had slaves and I understand it is the same for many. I thought about what you said and it does make sense but that does not mean we can still strive for racial equality. I still stand behind my position but you’re right slavery exists everywhere. I don’t think all white people are bad, I don’t know how it got to that point. I have many white friends who are kind, and caring. But that doesn’t mean that all are good. Not all black people are good either. Not all PEOPLE are good. I still stand behind my position but I understand yours. There’s discrimination, and racism everywhere but I’m trying to change something here. Nobody is blaming anybody in the end we are people who all have pasts. But the confederate flag flying high on 95. and a Robert E Lee statue and highway doesn’t unite is it reminds us. Nobody wants to erase history we still remember King George after knocking his statues but we don’t want to honor one of the worst pets of American history. We want to learn from it. America was founded on the fact that we disagreed with something.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:19 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Here is what is happening before our very eyes. A cautionary tale from G Orwell.

"
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

The communists come is all shapes and forms.
A good example is that Pat Boone actually sold more records than Elvis Presley. Yet Pat Boone is now totally forgotten.

King George County Va,, and the Georgetown section of D.C., were both named after King George who opposed the American Revolution. Maybe we should re-name them.

Last edited by slowlane3; 06-24-2020 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Okay first of all I wasn’t trying to point out anybody in particular. I’m sorry if i offended you I never meant for it to get to this point. I respect your position. My ancestors have never had slaves and I understand it is the same for many. I thought about what you said and it does make sense but that does not mean we can still strive for racial equality. I still stand behind my position but you’re right slavery exists everywhere. I don’t think all white people are bad, I don’t know how it got to that point. I have many white friends who are kind, and caring. But that doesn’t mean that all are good. Not all black people are good either. Not all PEOPLE are good. I still stand behind my position but I understand yours. There’s discrimination, and racism everywhere but I’m trying to change something here. Nobody is blaming anybody in the end we are people who all have pasts. But the confederate flag flying high on 95. and a Robert E Lee statue and highway doesn’t unite is it reminds us. Nobody wants to erase history we still remember King George after knocking his statues but we don’t want to honor one of the worst pets of American history. We want to learn from it. America was founded on the fact that we disagreed with something.
You cannot fight racism with racism.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:09 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,133,641 times
Quote:
'[They] have the mistaken assumption that black people are sitting around cheering for them saying "Oh, my God, look at these white people. They're doing something so important to us. They're taking down the statue of a Civil War general who fought for the South," Johnson said.

You know, black people, in my opinion, black people laugh at white people who do this the same way we laugh at white people who say we got to take off the TV shows
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...narchists.html

I also had to laugh at this image. Nothing says "white privilege" more than telling black people to stand behind you so they can protect you...

Old 06-25-2020, 04:50 AM

Now threatening to tear down statues of Lincoln. As people deny history, destroy art and eschew learning we may be entering a new dark age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia