Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,294,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The protesters are American too. You think if they disagree with you they're not Americans? I don't know who the rioters or looters are but the protesters are Americans and they believe (rightly or wrongly) that this is their patriotic duty.

How about quoting enough of that line where it makes more sense. Here is more: "before enough Americans"

I never said they were not Americans at all so please don't make it up. Protesting I am fine with. Rioters and anyone doing damage are nothing but thugs and domestic terrorists. I love how Minnesota now wants the US Govt to help pay for the damage in Minneapolis from these thugs and domestic terrorists. I say too effin bad. You wanted the police to stand down so now you pay the piper. And before someone here makes my use of the word thugs as racist there were plenty of white people out there committing arson and so on so it applies to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 02:24 PM

382 posts, read 872,177 times
It's funny, the OP has everybody fighting against each other and refuses to respond. Talk about click bait.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:04 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,217,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How about quoting enough of that line where it makes more sense. Here is more: "before enough Americans"

I never said they were not Americans at all so please don't make it up. Protesting I am fine with. Rioters and anyone doing damage are nothing but thugs and domestic terrorists. I love how Minnesota now wants the US Govt to help pay for the damage in Minneapolis from these thugs and domestic terrorists. I say too effin bad. You wanted the police to stand down so now you pay the piper. And before someone here makes my use of the word thugs as racist there were plenty of white people out there committing arson and so on so it applies to all.
I know many supporters of the BLM movement and many people who have, and continue to, protest. I don't know a single person that condones looting, destruction, or rioting. These are not the same groups of people

Old 07-06-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I know many supporters of the BLM movement and many people who have, and continue to, protest. I don't know a single person that condones looting, destruction, or rioting. These are not the same groups of people

I cannot prove you are wrong and neither can I prove I am right. But I have my gut feelings that we are both right-----to a point.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:27 AM

4,476 posts, read 8,179,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post

During the 4th festivities, I was just talking with my father in law about how during the civil rights protests (too young to have experienced that personally, just going by previous news), for me the non violent protests had more impact. Rosa parks refused to move. The people at Woolworths wanted equal service. The folks who are on the fence on BLM protests aren't going to be swayed by these riots and violent encounters imo. Honestly I think they're alienating themselves more to peoplei in that category.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 AM

1,029 posts, read 928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
During the 4th festivities, I was just talking with my father in law about how during the civil rights protests (too young to have experienced that personally, just going by previous news), for me the non violent protests had more impact. Rosa parks refused to move. The people at Woolworths wanted equal service. The folks who are on the fence on BLM protests aren't going to be swayed by these riots and violent encounters imo. Honestly I think they're alienating themselves more to peoplei in that category.
Nope, people hated those movements in real time as well. There are approval polls from then that show that most white Americans still did not agree with Rosa Parks or MLK type protests at the time. The entire reason that Rosa Parks was pushed to the forefront was that black civil rights leaders felt that she would be more palpable to white Americans verses a darker woman with a more storied past. I mean its easy to point at peaceful protest now but you have to ignore the fact that promptly after staging a sit in at a local diner, most of those good people had their faces ate off by dogs while being watched by cheering Americans. The same people that are still complaining about looters on 7/6/20(are people even still looting???) are the same people who hated NFL players kneeling. To someone who disagrees with the point you are trying to make, there is no right way to make it.

Immediately after Nat Turner's rebellion the Virginia legislature rejected a measure for gradual emancipation that would have followed the lead of the North. Instead, pointing to Turner's intelligence and education as a major cause of the revolt, measures were passed in Virginia and other states in the south that made it unlawful to teach enslaved people and even free African Americans how to read or write. So, yes, there is a real possibility for some sort of adverse blow back in response to the current issues, however, black Americans are not at all foreign to or fearful of the possibility. It is often a sad but necessary factor of change in America, historically speaking.

Last edited by mpier015; 07-06-2020 at 07:35 AM..

Old 07-06-2020, 07:12 AM

3,785 posts, read 2,612,538 times
Respectfully, the original post is basically a painfully unaware Yankee stereotype.. Northerner moving to the South, showing little regard for her hosts.. and heading to condemning/judging Virginia's traditional culture. The provincial, moral superiority in her post almost seems contrived, but..

Old 07-06-2020, 10:59 AM

20,387 posts, read 20,022,969 times
I think you guys are getting played.

Check out this thread about getting his neighbors to upgrade their car to suit his tastes.

It's a hoot.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nort...situation.html

Old 07-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I think you guys are getting played.

Check out this thread about getting his neighbors to upgrade their car to suit his tastes.

It's a hoot.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/nort...situation.html

Very familiar with that topic and to be honest I forgot all about that troll starting this thread. I called him a troll before and still believe he is. I am more addressing a couple other posters and the topic in general.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
With today's media coverage and social media we will soon start seeing some violent blowback from the extremists. While one of my good friends in a federal agent setting cannot say much even though my clearance would allow it I can tell that he is worried. Info spreads like wildfire over social media and setting up meetings of extremists of all kinds is so easy. Fortunately these groups are certainly being monitored and hopefully LE can intercept those looking to do harm to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia