Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 70,016 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for the encouraging words and very good advice. I feel better now about the opportunity. We're a very frugal bunch (we do a lot of free things together), and have a budget that seems to indicate that we can make it. But I wanted some feedback from those who have gone before. You've all graciously provided that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn209 View Post
Thank you so much for the encouraging words and very good advice. I feel better now about the opportunity. We're a very frugal bunch (we do a lot of free things together), and have a budget that seems to indicate that we can make it. But I wanted some feedback from those who have gone before. You've all graciously provided that. Thanks.
DC offers so much free stuff, we are here on our second temporary assignment this one being longer than the last one and it seemed like for the most part everything in DC is free. You are only out gas or commuting fees and if you chose to eat lunch out. After doing that once we either just carried snacks or waited until we got back to where we were staying to eat. I think the only thing we paid for all the weekends we explored DC was the IMAX at the Natural History Museum and some little rinky dink aquariam that was a total rip off.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,191 times
Oh yes, count me as another one who wishes she had gone the townhouse route. We are still renting for now and probably will be for a while (saving the 20% down has been a problem...my husband has his Ph.D., which meant he was in school until he was 30...and as a student, he was earning next to nothing. Therefore, we have had much less time at "adult wages," and much less time to save, than most people our age.) But even as renters, a townhouse would have been a better deal. All this yard space is nothing but an expense and a hassle - all my child wants to do is go to the park anyway. And SFHs are generally older, in my neighborhood anyway, which can mean more maintainance issues. When we finally have enough saved up to buy, we probably won't even consider SFHs.

We do fine with one car, too. Most places here have public transportation options. That helps with the budget, no doubt!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,971,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn209 View Post
Then you'll love DC. A lot of the museums and things are free. Plus, you can all take a cheap ride on METRO to get there. Fun day.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:05 PM

715 posts, read 2,088,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
That's not true. The schools in all areas are 100x better than anywhere we've lived.
That's why I said "generally speaking.

Quote:
That's not true. There's a lot of retail out in PWC, more jobs are springing up here and we also have the VRE and busses too.
That's why I included "closer to DC and closer to jobs and better schools."

Quote:
Again, that's not true. Have you tried spending more time with your kid on their homework?
Look at the test scores. Then comment.

Quote:
That's not true. 14,000 people ride the VRE into the city daily on the VRE and don't hate life.
Yeah, and that's why the 200k people who don't ride VRE are stuck on I95 every morning and evening.

And how do the people who live out in Manassas and Gainesville (also PWC) like riding the VRE? They wouldn't know, b/c there is no VRE and they are stuck on I66.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Maryland's suburbs are a lot cheaper but there are serious trade-offs.

Prince George's County- cheap housing but auto insurance rates are high, crime level is very high, and PG County schools are the second worst system in the DC area.

Montgomery County- Has widespread problem with illegal aliens, school system is very overrated, not much cheaper than NoVA and traffic can be a problem

Howard County- Has argubably the best school system in Maryland, pretty safe, problem is commuting to DC even worse to Northern VA

Charles County- school system is so-so, Commuting to DC is not easy, crime has been rising following a exodus from PG County
Maryland schools are top notch around the Potomac, Bethesda, and lower Rockville area.

Also, if your kid can get into Montgomery Blair's magnet program, it's top notch also. I'd venture to say if Montgomery Blair was all magnet, it'd give TJ a run for its money.

Last edited by live_strong28; 08-19-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,957,691 times
True, some of Montgomery county schools are good but I doubt that the OP can afford to live in Potomac or Bethesda.

Even our wonderful National Zoo is free. DC is a great place for families to go for a day and spend almost nothing. Living in the DC suburbs is a great place to raise a family, good schools, lots of history, and lots of free stuff.

With long commutes, we need to remember that it's not only the time, but the expense. It's expensive to commute long distances, gas, insurance, and wear and tear on a car. The subways and trains are expensive too. The federal government does subsidize public transportation, that can be a huge help.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,971,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
And how do the people who live out in Manassas and Gainesville (also PWC) like riding the VRE? They wouldn't know, b/c there is no VRE and they are stuck on I66.
Could they not drive to the western terminus of the Orange Line and then take that in? That is what my uncle out that way does now.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
My coworker lives in Manassas and takes the VRE everyday.

I do agree though that Manassas and Gainesville are some of the worst commuting options. While Manassas does have the VRE and probably some bus service, it does not have nearly the options of the eastern end of PWC. Gainesville is worse. I think, one day, though, Gainesville will get there.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
True, some of Montgomery county schools are good but I doubt that the OP can afford to live in Potomac or Bethesda.

Even our wonderful National Zoo is free. DC is a great place for families to go for a day and spend almost nothing. Living in the DC suburbs is a great place to raise a family, good schools, lots of history, and lots of free stuff.

With long commutes, we need to remember that it's not only the time, but the expense. It's expensive to commute long distances, gas, insurance, and wear and tear on a car. The subways and trains are expensive too. The federal government does subsidize public transportation, that can be a huge help.
Actually a lot are good, and as I said, there are some really good HS in lower Rockville (Wootton and Richard Montgomery).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia