Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The point was that the Northern Virginia part of the metropolitan area has grown significantly over the past 20-30 years..especially compared to Maryland and DC proper. Considering we live in one of the most expensive places in the nation I would say that is quite a feat that we can still manage that type of growth. Much of that domestic outmigration is to counties that are right on the metropolitan fringe but not technically considered part of our MSA. Places like Berkeley County WV, Washington County MD, Franklin County PA, Frederick County VA, etc. This isn't Houston...we have zoning and other extensive land-use regulations.
What does Houston have to do with it? DFW and Atlanta (among other places) have zoning, too.

And I have nothing but love for the DC area, and plan to make it my future home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I think society - in general - has become more materialistic - very sad - the best things in life really are free - that is what I have learned as I have grown older - you young ones will find out soon enough -

Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
True, Granny. The best things in life are not things. But some things are fun to have and add to our lives. It sure helps to have the money to buy those that you do want. There's nothing wrong with wanting to spend your money as you choose on things that you want.

As soon as someone starts talking about how materialist people are, it says to me that that person doesn't have as much money as they would like to have and envies those who do. Otherwise, why would care how others choose to live their life and spend their money? Why judge others as ''sad''?

I've been happy poor, and happy richer. Richer is better. Definitely.

Just sayin'................

Old 08-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
What does Houston have to do with it? DFW and Atlanta (among other places) have zoning, too.

And I have nothing but love for the DC area, and plan to make it my future home.
Houston has a reputation for not having zoning, or not having enough of it.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I agree with the last poster and disagree with the other two. I've been to many major metropolitan areas in my lifetime, and DC, by far, is one of the most materialistic ones. The sheer volume of high-end vehicles on the roadways is a very good indicator of this.
Wrong, again. High end vehicles indicate that people here have more money and can buy the cars that they want. Why shouldn't they buy what they want? They've earned the money and that gives them more options. They can buy what they choose.

Pretty simple, huh?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Wrong, again. High end vehicles indicate that people here have more money and can buy the cars that they want. Why shouldn't they buy what they want? They've earned the money and that gives them more options. They can buy what they choose.

Pretty simple, huh?
They are actually borrowing the car from the bank until they pay it off.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:55 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
To the OP: I wouldn't trade commute for a bigger house if I were you. Been there, done that. You have to come here and drive during rush hour to understand what I mean. A 5-mile commute can take 30 minutes if you get stuck in traffic, for no other reason than sheer volume. My current commute is only 8miles one way, but it still takes roughly 20-25 minutes each way.

Try not to live more than 10-15 miles away from your work or you'll spend most of your time seeing traffic rather than seeing your own family.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
There's a difference between having nice things just because you are materialistic and having them because you are successful and can afford them. (Not that money is the only measure of success, of course.)

Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
I don't know why so many people on here have such an infatuation with what other people choose to do with their own lives. I'm with Denton...money isn't everything but I'd rather have more of it than less.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,380,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
To the OP: I wouldn't trade commute for a bigger house if I were you. Been there, done that. You have to come here and drive during rush hour to understand what I mean. A 5-mile commute can take 30 minutes if you get stuck in traffic, for no other reason than sheer volume. My current commute is only 8miles one way, but it still takes roughly 20-25 minutes each way.

Try not to live more than 10-15 miles away from your work or you'll spend most of your time seeing traffic rather than seeing your own family.

Try to live somewhere close to the Vienna metro station -- it is the end of the Orange line and you could drive in and park and take metro. That way you can live in Fairfax and still have less than a 1 hour commute. You can only get a townhose -- if lucky -- in Fairfax for $300,000 -- although now is the time to buy!! Besides -- with a townhouse there is less yardwork and more time to enjoy all the parks and free offerings in the Washington metro area.

DON'T get trapped into the horrible commute -- life is too short -- plenty of people are very happy in a townhome.

Again -- congrats and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia