Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:09 PM

43 posts, read 214,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I cannot find it, and I read it just days ago! Ugh. Anyway, the gist of the article was that some of the house that the prospective buyers look at are already under contract but they show it on the show anyway so we can see a third house even though the prospective buyers cannot buy it. Also, the couple/person/family has to show their financials to prove that they WILL be buying a house very soon. And the realtors like the exposure they get from the show.
Really, already under contract and they show it to the buyers on House Hunters anyways?
I wonder what happens if they CAN't find a house they like. They don't air it I guess. That's what's strange about house hunters - it's really more for (house) style than anything else, because they don't show at all what goes on in the process. "Here are three houses!" "Wonderful, we pick number 2!"

I like this other show better; I think it's called "My First Home" or is it "My First Place"?? They really go into details of all that happens from the beginning of the search until closing; and indeed, sometimes the buyers don't find a house, loose houses in bidding, things go wrong with financing, sth bad comes up during the home inspection... very educational.

Normie, there have been at least 4 eps of House Hunters in the DC area that I remember (and I'm sure there are even more), one in a northern MD suburb (don't remember where exactly), one in Capitol Hill (very recently aired), one in Alexandria (the one you mentioned), and one in Chevy Chase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,465,904 times
Glad to see fellow HGTV addicts here!

I've seen at least two episodes of House Hunters focused on Alexandria. In one, an IT entrepreneur and a govt. lawyer IIRC got married, sold their prior residences, and decided on a Victorian house in Rosemont. In another, a young couple needing more space for their baby and the hubby's bicycles moved up in Del Ray.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,827,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
You can watch a lot of the HGTV stuff, including all 13 "Interventions," on Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. for free.
Otherwise it's on at 10:30 pm Thursdays. Best program since Flip This House. Every remodeler should watch Holmes, though.
Oooh, thank you. I didn't know that.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM

845 posts, read 2,330,740 times
I think that lady who does the 2000 USD remodels is a real superstar. What's her name? Tanya or something. Nice smile.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM

42 posts, read 113,725 times
bringing this thread back from the dead. The 1PM (02/11/2010) showing of designed to sell on HGTV (with tanya I think) just focused on a couple who lives in the Mosby Woods community of Fairfax who want to move back to Chicago.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM

214 posts, read 500,401 times
I just saw that HGTV is doing house hunters in dc all this week at 9, if you're not watching the olympics, that is.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,962,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm addicted to HGTV's "House Hunters" series.

If you're not familiar with it, this show follows people buying homes in various cities. Each show features a detailed tour through three homes (the buyers look at 30-40 homes but select three for the show), as well as brief looks at the neighborhood. The show ends with the buyer explaining which house was chosen and why.

A show like this is a great way to see what neighborhoods look like... which is why I wonder why more shows aren't shot right here in Virginia. You'd think our local realtors would be signing up in droves for the chance at free marketing. I saw one done in Alexandria (Del Rey), and so far that's been it.

The producers of the show claim they are always seeking real home buyers who wouldn't mind having a camera tag along behind them. And right now there are so many people moving here. So you'd think there'd be a few dozen shows touring homes in McLean, Reston, Ashburn, Burke etc. What do you think the reason for this dis-interest is? Does it say something about Virginians (maybe that we value our privacy?)

If you're moving here, what would you think about being on a show like this? If you're a local realtor, would you think a show like this would make an effective marketing tool? I guess I'm just nosy but I'd really love to see more about some of the Nova neighborhoods. And a chance to see what homes in Arlington or Falls Church or Manassas are like on the inside.
I like that show too. I saw one episode in Vienna and Fairfax.

Oops, that show was "Property Virgins". As Emily would say, Nevermind

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,138,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post
I just saw that HGTV is doing house hunters in dc all this week at 9, if you're not watching the olympics, that is.
That was so much fun last night! Thanks for letting us know. Last night's show compared homes in Gaithersburg and Silver Spring. I found it interesting that I liked the Gaithersburg home so much more than the other two, which were in older neighborhoods (and just seemed worn out and trouble prone to me).

But even though I didn't like the Silver Spring homes, I enjoyed seeing the streets and the tour of the older homes. Also, glad that the show pointed out the commute issue and the problems with having a major road behind one of the homes.

I hope tonight's show takes them into Virginia. I'm certainly going to watch the entire week.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,138,626 times
Did anyone watch Monday's show? Was it set in Virginia, and if so can I watch it on the computer?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM

214 posts, read 500,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I hope tonight's show takes them into Virginia. I'm certainly going to watch the entire week.
I looked it up for you Tonight's show is in DC, and tomorrow is in Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia