Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you think Merrillville is declining?
Yes 36 83.72%
No 6 13.95%
Other - Please Explain 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 PM
 
2,155 posts, read 5,451,336 times
Reputation: 1571

Advertisements

Merrillville develops crime map

This is a useful tool. And while most of the crimes are north of 30, there appears to be a substantial amount of crime south of 30 and close to Crown Point (especially given the less dense population).

Here is a link to the map: Merrillville Police Department - Crime Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 PM
 
2,155 posts, read 5,451,336 times
Reputation: 1571
Default Charter School

Well, all they need now is a charter from Ball State. I do believe that a charter school would do well in Merrillville considering that many families are not happy with MCSC and may not be able to afford private schools.

Charter school plans win approval of Merrillville council
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Reputation: 5813
Lake County is in decline, but not Merrivle. It's one of the nicest cities in the county, and the biggest shopping destination for the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM
 
2,155 posts, read 5,451,336 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldailment View Post
lake county is in decline, but not merrivle. It's one of the nicest cities in the county, and the biggest shopping destination for the county.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 PM
 
16 posts, read 31,243 times
Reputation: 27
Default Merrilville has declined a ton in the last few decades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Lake County is in decline, but not Merrivle. It's one of the nicest cities in the county, and the biggest shopping destination for the county.
No, it's not one of the nicest places. And yes, it's most definitely in decline.

I recall as a kid going to Merrillville for the shopping, occasional dining out, etc. The place was solidly average back then, several decades ago; never great, but a decent place nonetheless. It was an average community that was borne from people leaving Gary in the 1960's, and it evolved into a place known for being the retail area for NWI.

Now, it's devolved into an even bigger retail area that's no longer a totally safe, solid community. It's simply not the same place anymore, and some of the crime issues from Gary seem to have afflicted Merrillville. It's even moving south of Route 30.

Simply put, Merrillville is not that great of a place anymore. Within the broader Chicago area, it's a low-end place that very few people would ever think to go. In NWI, there aren't many shopping/retail hubs so people still go there out of necessity. But thinking that this place is actually nice is hard to fathom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Play View Post
No, it's not one of the nicest places. And yes, it's most definitely in decline.

I recall as a kid going to Merrillville for the shopping, occasional dining out, etc. The place was solidly average back then, several decades ago; never great, but a decent place nonetheless. It was an average community that was borne from people leaving Gary in the 1960's, and it evolved into a place known for being the retail area for NWI.

Now, it's devolved into an even bigger retail area that's no longer a totally safe, solid community. It's simply not the same place anymore, and some of the crime issues from Gary seem to have afflicted Merrillville. It's even moving south of Route 30.

Simply put, Merrillville is not that great of a place anymore. Within the broader Chicago area, it's a low-end place that very few people would ever think to go. In NWI, there aren't many shopping/retail hubs so people still go there out of necessity. But thinking that this place is actually nice is hard to fathom.
Not sure where you are getting your information, except by personal experiences maybe, which are often skewed, but according to the crime data, Merrilville is actually a lot safer than most cities and still remains the shopping destination of Lake County. Merrillville's waterpark is also a huge regional draw, living in St. Joseph I know that myself and everyone I knew would go to that waterpark and Merrillville for shopping afterwards.

//www.city-data.com/city/Merrillville-Indiana.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest indiana View Post
lol
Rofl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Reputation: 5813
Lastly, Merrillville isn't even losing population...it's still growing. Gary is declining, Merrillville is trudging forward.

Merrillville, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Hoosierville
16,881 posts, read 14,231,907 times
Reputation: 11247
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Not sure where you are getting your information, except by personal experiences maybe, which are often skewed, but according to the crime data, Merrilville is actually a lot safer than most cities and still remains the shopping destination of Lake County. Merrillville's waterpark is also a huge regional draw, living in St. Joseph I know that myself and everyone I knew would go to that waterpark and Merrillville for shopping afterwards.

//www.city-data.com/city/Merrillville-Indiana.html
Merrillville is declining. The schools suck. And the mall is technically in Hobart.

And the waterpark? BARELY in Merrillville. Barely. Like 2 feet from the Porter County line. And not near what most people would consider Garyville. Whoops ... I mean Merrillville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 02:41 AM
 
2,155 posts, read 5,451,336 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Not sure where you are getting your information, except by personal experiences maybe, which are often skewed, but according to the crime data, Merrilville is actually a lot safer than most cities and still remains the shopping destination of Lake County. Merrillville's waterpark is also a huge regional draw, living in St. Joseph I know that myself and everyone I knew would go to that waterpark and Merrillville for shopping afterwards.

//www.city-data.com/city/Merrillville-Indiana.html
In addition to what Big Play and Chuckity stated (also, Deep River Waterpark actually has a Crown Point address), the population increase in Merrillville is PRIMARILY due to lower middle and lower income families moving in from Gary, East Chicago, and in some cases, the south side of Chicago. Shopping in Merrillville? It still has some of the average options, but nothing special and it is getting worse. A huge amount of people in West Lake County (Munster, Dyer, Schererville, St. John, Highland) shop in Illinois at places such as Orland Square, Oak Brook Center, Mag Mile because these places are not much further than going to Southlake and have way more options. Southlake serves more of the Gary, Merrillville, Hobart, and Crown Point crowd because it is much more convenient. Also, we can look at Schererville and Munster becoming more of a shopping draw for upscale shopping in the area. I also see Porter's Vale in Valparaiso attracting more national chains. Merrillville is not Gary yet, but it is becoming much worse. And when I look at new housing prices in Merrillville compared to Crown Point (for the same home), I would rather pay $275,000 for the same home in Crown Point (except Ross Township) than $250,000 in Merrillville because I know that I'll have value in Crown Point for at least 15-20 years.

Last edited by Northwest Indiana; 05-29-2014 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top