Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times

Advertisements

I prefer the new development, which will be a lot more than just a Saks. Especially since they will save many of the trees. The IMP is long past it's prime.

I have read many of the IMP vendors plan to relocate to the small boat harbor near the Hilton Hawaiian Village once that redevelopment is completed. So all may not be lost for those who love the IMP shops. But I'm sure the "vibe" will be gone.

But for me, I prefer the new development and assume it will be similar to Lewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The land there doesn't belong to me, so I don't feel entitled to dictate what is done with it.
...aaand you're not... and you can't. But you have no preference?

I rarely go there, myself. I always try to picture how things looked when Bob Hope hung out here. And when the brat-packers partied here. Those were days of glamour. That's how I picture it anyway.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
...aaand you're not... and you can't. But you have no preference?
That's because he's an "other"

Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That's because he's an "other"
So true! LOL!!!

The thing I like about the International Market Place is that it breaks up the monotony. It is something different in the long line of high end shops for Japanese tourists. That said, I can see how there is more money to be made for the current land owners by changing it. It would be nice if they could at least leave the front open and leave as many trees as they can.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Here is a link to where you can see a picture of what it looks like now.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/13465667.jpg

Here is a link to where you can see a picture of what it could look like in the future.

http://www.khon2.com/wp-content/uplo...-RENDERING.jpg
Oh wow. I don't think I've seen the current market place. That rendering seems a fur piece (Arkansan for a long ways away) from the island style. hmmm....

Wonder if all those high rises will bring in enough people to support such a big addition to upscale retail?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:40 AM

106 posts, read 230,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oh wow. I don't think I've seen the current market place. That rendering seems a fur piece (Arkansan for a long ways away) from the island style. hmmm....

Wonder if all those high rises will bring in enough people to support such a big addition to upscale retail?
Not sure how much the rendering shows the accuracy, but it looks like 90% of what is being built in Honolulu IMO.

I was just at ala moana center tonight and store after store, the japanese were in and out en masse, so I am guessing they are courting that demo, the Smith Family from Indiana on their Pleasant Hawaiian Holiday package are probably not on their radar. Most of the tourists shopping at ala moana more than likely are staying in Waikiki, so I would imagine a high end retail store such as Saks would do well as only a Macys on Kalakaua is currently the only dept store and it is looking very tired, and a gleaming new 'shopping center' will not fail to attract what is already a packed Kalakaua Ave at almost all hours. I think the stores hours on Kalakaua almost stay open until 11 pm.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:33 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Aloha International Market Place.
International Market Place tenants moving out by Jan. 1 - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 PM

181 posts, read 274,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Which would you prefer, the International Market Place or Saks Fifth Avenue?
Oh, by all means, let's get rid of the Hawai'i thing and put in the New York thing, and see how many tourists want to shop at the same store they don't shop in at home.

After all, nothing says "Polynesia" like Saks Fifth Avenue!

Old 12-28-2013, 01:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post

After all, nothing says "Polynesia" like Saks Fifth Avenue!
Saks Fifth Avenue will be packed when it opens and it will stay packed. The main markets for Saks will be the fast growing international market and local residents. It isn't being built for residents from somewhere like LA.

Besides Saks, there will be 60 other shops (why do people gloss over that), 7 restaurants (another fact overlooked), and a 750 car parking garage (sorely needed in Waikiki).

The new development will certainly boost the local economy and provide more jobs.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Saks Fifth Avenue will be packed when it opens and it will stay packed. The main markets for Saks will be the fast growing international market and local residents. It isn't being built for residents from somewhere like LA.

Besides Saks, there will be 60 other shops (why do people gloss over that), 7 restaurants (another fact overlooked), and a 750 car parking garage (sorely needed in Waikiki).

The new development will certainly boost the local economy and provide more jobs.
Like the last 30 years of major developments have changed the local economy and provided new jobs? Don't get me wrong, new developments has its place in society. But unlike what most think, Its not a cure all. We could pave all the islands, bring every new business to Hawaii etc. But still face the same issue of expensive cost of living, lower paying wages etc, but by then the damage would be unfixable. The Hawai'i as most have known her will be lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu